AC mode door actuator - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 03 Dakota Quad
AC mode door actuator

Hi all--longtime lurker and first time poster here.

I bought a 2003 QuadCab SLT, 4.7, auto with 73000 miles in July. The first owner kept the truck in excellent shape.

Just recently I've started having intermittent problems with the AC mode...it will not blow through the panel vents. I've searched posts at this forum and subscribed first to ClintonDIY.com and, because Clinton was not very helpful, subscribed also to AlldataDIY.com, which was helpful (as you can tell, I would highly recommend AlldataDIY over ClintonDIY.) Here is what I have learned:

Contrary to a few posts here (and to some of Clinton's info), my 2003 is purely electrically actuated--no vacuum is involved. I crawled under the driver's side dash and located both the blend door actuator and the mode door actuator. While the truck was idling, I operated the AC mode controller and saw that the actuator was operating--spinning the cam that controls the 3 doors--floor, panel and defrost. At this point I wanted to double-check the panel door lever to make sure that it is not stuck. I removed the actuator and the cam and manually operated all 3 doors individually--all doors felt normal (at least to me as an automotive AC neophyte.) I reassembled the cam and actuator and still got the same results--no panel airflow. When set at the panel positions, it blows out of the floor vents.

Upon further reading at AlldataDIY, it said that there is a recalibration procedure that is actuated by the DRB III scanner. I'm now thinking that I need to get this system scanned and the HVAC doors recalibrated since I've visually confirmed that the mode door actuator and AC controller are operational. Would you agree? Should I take it to the local Dodge dealership or an auto AC shop? Once there, should I just ask them to scan and recalibrate the AC doors or should I expect them to give me the results of any DTC's that are logged?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: -
Send a message via MSN to Jasonb61
Well, If it were me I'd take it to an AC shop and let them do it.. But that's just Me =)
Old 10-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Just a poor shlep......

Vehicle: 95 Dakota Sport 3.9/2wd
My guess..... The recirculation mode door is broken.

Reach up under the dash and see if you can move the recirc door or feel if it is laying down when it should be up. This is a common problem in the Ram pickup and old body Grand Cherokees. So I suspect the same problem is going on here. The knob works all the positions, but the same thing happens, very little airflow out of any vent.

Brian

"Never trust an intelligent man with no money to play fair."
Old 10-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Jason,
Thanks for the opinion. Certainly I would look for an AC shop that was equipped with a DRB III.

Ranger,
The recirc door is operating properly. The mode actuator does not interface with the recirc actuator. The AC controller sends signals to both but neither is dependent upon the other.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dakota Sport 2wd
Anyone remember how good these worked when they were controlled by cables and simple vacuum motors instead of computer controlled electronic actuators?
Daily driver: 1996 Dakota Sport 4X2, 3.9L, Auto, a/c, cruise, stereo. Stock except hi flow cat, and those darn rust holes in the rear wheel openings, bottom of the doors and rockers that are increasing in size everytime I look (sucks), 126,000 miles and change.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
Anyone remember how good these worked when they were controlled by cables and simple vacuum motors instead of computer controlled electronic actuators?
I hear ya, Aspen...especially since this has been driving me nuts.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Would anyone know if there is a precedure to recalibrate the mode actuator without having to use a DRB III?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM

OK...well, then, does anyone know of another forum that may be frequented by someone with ac mode door actuator recalibration knowledge?

Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM

I guess no one has a clue on this one.

Many thanks to Ranger, Jason and Aspen for their comments.

Cheers.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: -
Send a message via MSN to Jasonb61
Sorry, I'd help you if I knew anything lol. Maybe you can find an A/C forum or something Post up any info you may find though. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: