Front Brakes Locked Up - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
DustyAmerican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unhappy Front Brakes Locked Up

I've never seen this before: I just had the front rotors, pads and lines replaced on my 01 Durango (5.9/4x4/ABS) and after three days, both front brakes are locked on. Bleeding the brakes will release the pressure, but only for a short time, then everything locks up again. Fluid just isn't gettign back out of the calipers to the master cylinder. The local mechanic is scratching his head along with me. We've checked all lines for kinks, twists, etc. I'm considering replacing the calipers, but don't want to just replace parts until the whole brake system is new. Has anybody ever seen this before? What's the fix? Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-30-2007, 07:16 AM
davensj

Send a message via AIM to davensj
Check and see if there`s an equalizer valve in your line (most cars/trucks have them), sometimes when they press the pistons back in the calirers it will cause valve to jam, and not letting the fluid pass back to the master cyl.
post #3 of Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 AM
kota_5spd
bog boys motorsports

Send a message via AIM to kota_5spd
my 02 cc kota did that but i went a pressed the caliper piston back in and it has been working fine ever since and that was like 3 weeks ago and i have been hard on the brakes and they havent locked up so its worth a shot. if that doesnt work i dont know what to tell u

Bog Boys MotorsportsHOOK'EM AN PULL'EM
post #4 of Old 06-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Thegreenone
ALLIANCE member!!

Send a message via AIM to Thegreenone
check the rear brake adjustent, with new pads up front the will work better thus grab faster and the rear brakes arent taking any of the load. BTW disc or drum rear?
post #5 of Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
caulk04
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

I had my front left lock up on me...I can't have that be happening to me (as if anyone wants it to) so I just replaced the caliper and line and called it done.

Whatever you do, be sure to flush the brake lines out. You'll need at least a liter of fluid to flush the lines out, I'd go ahead and buy two and flush them real good.

BTW - You should always flush your brake fluid every two years, regardless of mileage because brake fluid is hydro scopic (absorbs water) and the boiling point gets lower over time. Not to mention it help corrode your lines.
post #6 of Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM
kota_5spd
bog boys motorsports

Send a message via AIM to kota_5spd
speaking of changing brake fluid i might do my clutch this summer yet

Bog Boys MotorsportsHOOK'EM AN PULL'EM
post #7 of Old 07-03-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
DustyAmerican

All...We've tested the Proportional Valve, pulled the calipers, lines and Master Cylinder...and cleaned everything we could find then put it all back together again. After getting the monster from the black lagoon out of the Master Cylinder, things seem to be working. we even checked the booster rod and brake pedal assembly. One more test of the Proportional valve and another complete flush of the system will be the proof. I didn't think the fluid was going to be that black!

Caulk 04...you're right about putting some serious quantities of fluid into it...I'm on my third liter now with more tomorrow. I want nothing but clean and clear fluid out all four brakes before I'm done!

If this works, I'll let you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: