Best way to drain gas tank - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.2L/5.9L/6.7L Engines Questions regarding the 5.2L/5.9L/6.7L V8 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 1998 durango
Best way to drain gas tank

As the title says. I need to drain some gas out of my durango.Took longer to put back together after accident than I wanted -winter sucks.Now it has been sitting with 3/4 tank of gas for 16 months.Other long story is that my son was helping me and we had a falling out.Turns out he did not put stabil in it like he said he did. I got a siphon from the autoparts store but a friend of his tried to do that last fall and could not get it to thread down into the tank. Is there some trick to this? I think by now the gas would be really bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
Remove the fuel inlet hose from tank and feed in your siphon hose there. If you had help you could remove the bed bolts and slide the bed back. Or you could jump the fuel pump relay and disconect the fuel supply line and lengthen it to reach a container to hold the bad fuel. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:18 PM

Sorry it is a durango. Should have specified that. I was looking in my fsm and was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Is this a common problem in our vehicles?That is, not being able to siphon gas tank from the filler door tube? Byproduct of the earlier gas age when there was an embargo and we all stood in line on our assigned days? Or fuel line not straight enough. Just wondering. Anyone else tried to drain gas from the door tube. would be easier for me. Sorry I am not that car savvy yet.Other than oil changes. But I am learning. Have put the bumpers. lights,radiator,fan shroud,horns and all back together by myself. And by the way, I am a 50 y/o female so please do not flame me yet. All help appreciated.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
There is what is called a "ROLLOVER VALVE" in the inlet hose. It is there to keep the tank from draining in the case of a rollover. All cars have these now.
And I did read this is a Durango you are working on but I have always had Dakotas and now have a Durango! It was a brainfart on my part!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Now Nitrous Injected!!!

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota Sport 5.2L
Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow318
I found the best way to drain my tank is just drive. LOL But on how do do it anyother way I dunno how.

Jacob

Exterior Mods~> Liquid Metal Magma 20`s (in Chrome), 2/4 Hotchkis Drop, Reflextions Cowl Hood, Custom Blinkers on Mirrors, Custom Made Grill, Tonneau Cover, Painted Front Calipers, Painted Handles, Mirrors and Wiper Cowl to Match

Performance~> Gibson Shorty Headers, 180 T~Stat, K&N Cold Air Intake, Acccel Brass Cap and Rotor, Autolight 3923s, Flowmaster Exhaust with 40 Series Muffler and no Cats, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires, ASP Crank Pulley, Ported Stock Throttle Body to 52mm, MT ET Streets

Interior Mods~>6.5 Yellow Bolt Speakers, Nu Image White Face Gauges, Pioneer CD Player, Painted Interior to Match
Old 06-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Never mind. Boy Am i upset. Went out to the car to look for the hoses. My tank and pump are not even on the car! Body shop ripped me off. I am sooo pissed need to call insurance co. probably too long and late now. I am soo upset.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Anyone done an aftermarket out of tank fuel pump like on the jeeps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: