How to replace shocks on a stock 2002 2WD Dakota - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FAQ's, Tips & Tricks Helpful technical information.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Master QWERTY theif

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to pirahnah3 Send a message via MSN to pirahnah3 Send a message via Yahoo to pirahnah3
How to replace shocks on a stock 2002 2WD Dakota

Ok i thought i would write up a how to on this as it might be helpfull for a do it yourselfer to see.

Tools:
Jack and jackstands
15mm Wrench
18mm wrench
15mm socket
18mm socket
10mm socket
Ratchet for sockets
You might need an extension about 12inch should be fine
vise grips or chanel locks jsut in case
and somthing to hold the top of the shock shaft in the fronts. The monroes i put on were 7/32 but im not 100% on what the stock was.

Ok so first we start by jacking up the truck and putting it on jackstands (if you dont have jackstands cinderblocks work or anything that can hold the truck up SAFELY

Now that we have the truck up in the air lets start with the rears.

1. Remove lower shock mount bolts.
The bolt is an 18mm bolt wiht a 15mm nut on it remove this bolt and the shock will be free form the lower mount.
2. Remove upper mounts
There are tabs that are welded to the nuts that are supposed to hold the nut against the frame so that you can just spin the bolt out which btw is an another 18mm bolt with a 15mm nut. now the problem i had was that the tab on the pass side bent right away so i just grabbed it with some vise grips and used them to hold it and worked fine. your application may not need this. pass side bent the tab also but managed to sneak a 15mm socket on it.
3. reverse procedure for install of new shocks

the torque specs are 70 ft pounds for both upper and lower.

See now that wasnt so hard not lets do the fronts.

1. Remove tires (if you cant figure this out quit here)
2. Remove the top nut
This can be problematic as you need to hold the shock's shaft and then remove the nut. the nut is a 15mm and the shaft has two flats on it so that you can use somehting to hold it while you remove the nut.
3. Remove lower bolts
The lower bolts are 10mm bolts the actual specs on them should you break one like i did are 8mm 1.25mm by about 30-40mm long. remove these two bolts one to the front side of the lower shock under the control arm and one to the rear also under the control arm.

Once you have removed these take a min to clean up the upper mount it tends to collect alot of crud at least in my truck. this would also be a good time to inspect your brakes and lines and anyhting else you cna see while in there.

To reinstall the fronts i recomend you install the top mount first making sure to give the bushings a bit of grease for ease if instal then install the bottom bolts

on the front 2WD the upper bolt is torqued to 19 ft pounds and the lowers to 21 foot pounds

Constantly under construction
Club Cab Crew member
SSRage for life. The original Dak-Dur postwhore thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: