How do I remove my damn front driveshaft? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

post #1 of Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
dannyac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do I remove my damn front driveshaft?

I spent 45 minutes under my Durango tonight trying to pull my front driveshaft off so I can overhaul the thing (new centering ball in the CV unit, new u-joints all around). I pulled the 4 big bolts that appear to hold the circular plate on the differential-side yoke to the circular plate on the differential, and the four small bolts that hold the transfer case side yoke onto the transfer case. The yoke on the transfer case side wanted to seperate fine, but the circular plates on the differential side just kind of spun and would not come off, like they were attached in the middle. I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet, but had no luck, it won't budge. What the hell am I missing?

Here's a terrible MSPaint diagram showing what I'm talking about hopefully

(2000 Dodge Durango SLT) 4x4, 4.7l V8

(1984 Dodge Ramcharger) 360 V8, 36" Swampers, too many mods to list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
realdeal7369
G.F.Y racing president

Send a message via Yahoo to realdeal7369
can you post a pic?

1997 dakota, 5.2v8, msd wires, trans cooler, K&N cai, 1.6 rr's, stinger 1700 battery, updated big 3. aeroturbine 3030 muffler, high flow cat. conv
---------------------------------------------------
post #3 of Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 PM
TraMotorsports
4morthanu

Send a message via AIM to TraMotorsports
if the flange bolts are off it should come apart. Use a pry bar.

post #4 of Old 02-10-2007, 04:08 AM
HemiDak
Mods Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraMotorsports
if the flange bolts are off it should come apart. Use a pry bar.
Yup, that's the easy way.

I have noticed that if I haven't taken my driveshaft off in a while then they tend to not come apart easily. A chisel or screwdriver and a hammer work very well for me.
post #5 of Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
dannyac

Awesome, that seems to be the general consensus on the other forum I posted on too. That or beat the hell out of the flange with a rubber mallet.

Good deal guys, you saved my ass again. I may do a pictorial writeup on pulling the front shaft and replacing the U-joints if anyone would be interested.

(2000 Dodge Durango SLT) 4x4, 4.7l V8

(1984 Dodge Ramcharger) 360 V8, 36" Swampers, too many mods to list.

post #6 of Old 09-13-2008, 06:25 PM
StompinGround
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4

Seperating Flange From Coupler

I used a large chisel and hammer and tapped at different locations around circumfrence to eventually seperate one from the other . Chance are they are corroded slightly and it is also a press fit , there is a bit of a taper and they lock together when installed and tightened . Don't get too carried away with hitting unit itself , the idea is to get chisel between the 2 parts so they seperate .
post #7 of Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 PM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

IIRC there was a 1/8" or so long centering pin on the flange on my Ramcharger. So you have to remove it from the transfer case first, then slide the shaft back to dislodge the pin.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
post #8 of Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
StompinGround
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4

Don't know if the Charger would have the same setup as the Front Shaft on a Durango , but even if there was a pin to locate the 2 pieces in question pulling the CV-Joint mounting plate away from the Transfer Case Coupler should also disingage the pin . Like I said , highly doubtful there is a locating pin there anyway , mine just had 6 or 8 bolts holding the unit on at Transfer Case .
post #9 of Old 09-14-2008, 04:23 AM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

He says the flange spins when he tries to move it. So that says to me that it's free, not frozen. It really sounds like there is a pin.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
post #10 of Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 AM
jmac2000dge

There's about a 1/8-1/4" lip so it seats inside the front flange.....if your driveshaft won't collapse when using a pry bar....then the slip part is seized.......what i needed to remove mine for a new centering ball, i just used a c-clamp and remove the u-joint closest to the front...cause my driveshaft wouldn't collapse at all either.....hth..

2000 D, SLT+, 4.7L, Platinum w/leather

5 Door Whore #43.. :biggthump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: