Ever replace a hydraulic lifter/tappet? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.2L/5.9L/6.7L Engines Questions regarding the 5.2L/5.9L/6.7L V8 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 AM

Vehicle: 99 CC Dakota 5.2 2wd Auto
Ever replace a hydraulic lifter/tappet?

Hey guys, I'm new here, but have had my 99 Dakota since new. I've run into a little trouble here and hope some of you might have some words of wisdom.

I've come to the conclusion that i have a collapsed lifter ---so I'm going to replace them all. I'm running 1.7 adjustable roller rockers and have had a hell of a time adjusting them which led to my discovery of the problem.

Here's where I'm at: I pulled off the M1 (to replace w/ my beer barrel) and removed the yoke retainer and lifter yokes. Now, I can slide the lifters up and almost out of the block -BUT-- they run into the head gasket before I can get them clear. My factory shop manual says something to the effect that I should run the removal tool through the head, into the lifter and pull it out. Unfortunately the holes in the head gasket are only large enough for the pushrods. Neither the tool or the lifters can get through.

What have you guys done to remove these things? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Home Owner....

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota R/T
Send a message via Yahoo to razman131 Send a message via Skype™ to razman131
welll.... they should just come out. no need to pull the heads off to change lifters.

i am confused tho... going from M-1 to a BB?? most of us go BB to M-1...

gotta pull manifold
pull rockers/rods
then remove the spyder keeper in the oil valley

should just come right out. the lifters are only like 3 inches long so how they head gasket gets in the way is baffeling
Old 01-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Yes, I know -it's crazy. I'll try to post a pic here in a few minutes. In the meantime imagine this....looking into the engine valley from the front of the engine, the retainer and yokes are pulled and the lifters are free to slide out. As you try to slide the lifter out,the pushrod end comes in contact with the head gasket. Now the gasket has a about a 3/16" gap between itself and the head as this point. The lifter will come out to just before the roller has cleared the bore ---so it's close but no go. If the holes in the head gasket were large enough to allow the lifter to move up into the head jus a 1/4" more it would be a no brainer-----I'm stumped. I'l see if I can get a pic up here.

Regarding the manifolds....... I just lost too much low end torque. It really helped say 2800 and up, but that's just not where my engine lives 95% of the time. I'll hit 3000 every so often and w/ 4.10 gears I curise at about 23-400 For my needs the beer barrel w/ cut runners will be more appropriate I think.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Your in-house Mopar guru

Just push up on the head gasket in that area. The stock gaskets really interfere with pulling the lifters out, but it can be done Ive done it many times. So just get your fingers in there and push the gasket up into the head area tighter, and the lifter will then have enough room to come out. You might end up having to tip it slightly as it nears the top to get it to come out cleanly.

Danno

99 BK RC 12.02@109 AKA Vader
98 IB RC 13.59@102
98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

05 SRT6 Roadster 13.51@105
70 Road Runner
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Well, I haven't figured out the pic posting thing yet, but it sounds like you know my exact situation. I had thought of that but was not comfortable with starting to mash around with the headgasket. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you've done this sucessfully. COOL I just couldn't believe that the heads were gonna have to come off to replace the lifters!!

I'll give it a shot and let you know how things go ----Thanks Danno!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Your in-house Mopar guru

Not a problem!

Danno

99 BK RC 12.02@109 AKA Vader
98 IB RC 13.59@102
98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

05 SRT6 Roadster 13.51@105
70 Road Runner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: