Fan Noise - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Work Truck

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Quad Cab
Fan Noise

Is it just me or does everyone's truck sound like the fan is 10x louder than it should be....hell we i first crank the truck you can barely hear the exaust over the fan turning....it's always done it but is it just mine or is it normal for the 4.7?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Back To Mopar

Vehicle: 02 Ram QC
Reputation: 170 WhyteChocolate is a name known to allWhyteChocolate is a name known to all
my 4.7 was really loud too. I just took off the mechanical fan and now i run the electric fan only. its a lot quieter, plus its a few more hp for free.
You cannot love everyone; it is ridiculous to think you can. If you love everyone and everything you lose your natural powers of selection and wind up being a pretty poor judge of character and quality. If anything is used too freely it loses its true meaning. - Anton LaVey
Old 12-19-2006, 10:16 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
When I had my clutch fan on still, it would roar for a short period when very hot or cold upon startup. Otherwise it was fairly quiet.

I have also removed mine. Running electric fan only hasn't been a problem for me unless towing a fair load or offroading.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: 02 R.C 4.7 Kota
You finally found the one thing that ia NORMAL ,seriously its normal it is the clutch on the fan engauging and disengauging
Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Work Truck

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Quad Cab
everyone that ever hears my truck is like why is your fan so loud? and i have never known why

Old 01-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Old Timer

Vehicle: 2000 QC SLT+ 4.7L Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Quad
everyone that ever hears my truck is like why is your fan so loud? and i have never known why
A Dak owner at work heard mine start up and asked why it was so quite, No fan

Donald Mallett, Bradenton, FL
Bronze Executive Director
Independent Associate
(817) 875-9812

All mods listed >>>Home of the Y2KOTA

Last edited by Y2KOTA; 01-13-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Gen I Durango

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT Patriot Blue
In an odd way, it's kind of refreshing to see this thread...I was thinking my loud fan was due to the aftermarket fan clutch I put on instead of a genuine Mopar one. My original clutch was absolutely cannonballed, and I was probably only a couple days away from it leaping off and going thru the radiator! I installed a Hayden clutch from Carquest, and have had the roaring fan on a cold startup ever since. Some times it takes up to a mile or so to finally calm down, but I've been told that it's somewhat normal for a brand new clutch to do this till they break in a little. Time will tell.

Interestingly, my dad's 2000 Dakota never made any fan noise whatsoever. He bought it nearly brand new, and sold it with ~90k on it. Had I known how bad mine was at the time, I'd have swapped fan assemblies before he got rid of it!

Some other friends of mine had owned Durangos and Dakotas too, and had mentioned the loud fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: