Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
en_shua

Vehicle: 1999 5.9 V8 Durango
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Replace Belt Tensioner

My 99 Durango is starting to get real chatty around the drivebelt. I went to a mechanic, and they played with it a bit, and said that the drivebelt tensioner was practically dead. He said it moves, but I did not watch them. I have some questions, and hope that someone can help.

1) I assume that it's common for these to wear out in time. After all, the D has 171,000 miles on it.
2) Is it relatively easy to replace? Do I just take the belt off, then unbolt the tensioner, then bolt on the new one?
3) On AutoZone.com, I found a DAYCO Belt Tensioner for a 1999 Dodge Truck Durango 4WD for $62.99 (part number 305215). Is that a good price, or should I order elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

1999 5.9 V8 Durry SLT 4x4
282,000+ miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
jmaack727
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 

Vehicle: 2 of em.

ive heard they can get stuck, might wanna see if you can free it, but as for replacing it i cant help ya there sorry
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
IndyDurango
2000 SLT+ 5.9L Platinum

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango SLT+
Modifications: Gaming, Investing, My D

Replacing the pully is common. Get it fixed or do it yourself and enjoy the lack of noise.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-28-2007 at 03:52 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
en_shua

Thanks guys. I went out to a local auto parts place and picked up a Dayco assembly and a new belt. Total, like $90. Replacing the assembly was a bit tricky, but I was able to do it in about half an hour (would have been quicker if the engine was already cooled off). Basically, after removing the belt, I had a relay or something to remove on the left-hand side so I could reach to where the nut was that was holding the assembly to the assembly bracket. Unscrew, remove assembly, insert new assembly, tighten nut, reinstall the relay, attach new belt. Done.

The mechanic wanted to charge me close to $300 to replace it, so I'm glad so far that I did it myself.

Indy...thanks for posting those pages.

282,000+ miles
post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 PM
IndyDurango
2000 SLT+ 5.9L Platinum

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango SLT+
Modifications: Gaming, Investing, My D

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_shua
Thanks guys. I went out to a local auto parts place and picked up a Dayco assembly and a new belt. Total, like $90. Replacing the assembly was a bit tricky, but I was able to do it in about half an hour (would have been quicker if the engine was already cooled off). Basically, after removing the belt, I had a relay or something to remove on the left-hand side so I could reach to where the nut was that was holding the assembly to the assembly bracket. Unscrew, remove assembly, insert new assembly, tighten nut, reinstall the relay, attach new belt. Done.

The mechanic wanted to charge me close to $300 to replace it, so I'm glad so far that I did it myself.

Indy...thanks for posting those pages.
No problem. Did they seem to follow along with what you had to do?

Congrats on saving the extra $210. Looks like someone is buying the beer this weekend!

IndyDurango
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
en_shua

The attachments you posted pretty much went with what I did. I think they had one removing the entirfe assembly in order to remove the tensioner, and I chose not to do that.

I've still got a weird noise definitely coming from the belt area (the noise gets louder/faster when I rev the engine), but will take it to the same mechanic tomorrow. Maybe I can get them to tell me again what's wrong and I'll fix it myself. I'm hoping that maybe the belt is too tight or something.

282,000+ miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: