Gen III Dakotas 1997-2004 Dakota-Specific Questions

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Pugsy

Vehicle: 02Dakota Sport CC 4.7 2wd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tilt Steering Lever mechanism snapped

Has anyone had the lever mehcanism snap for the tilt wheel assembly? The level itself didn't snap, but I think there's a cable inside the column that controls the tilting that felt like it snapped. Now the lever moves up/down, but the steering wheel doesn't. Thankfully the steering wheel is locked in a somewhat comfortable positon...
What kind of repair would this involve? Tearing down the whole steering column? Can it be taken apart easily without compromising the airbag control?
Any threads people have seen with a step by step?
2002 Dakota, with manual transmission.
Thx!

2002 Dakota Sport Ext Cab - 2wd, 4.7L, 5 sp manual
2000 Durango SLT - 4wd, 4.7L, auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 AM
brandofamily
Just a guy with a truck

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota AWD QC
Modifications: 3" BL, Ionic Nerf Bars, ProZen Dual Intake, GTS Taillight Blackouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsy View Post
Has anyone had the lever mehcanism snap for the tilt wheel assembly? The level itself didn't snap, but I think there's a cable inside the column that controls the tilting that felt like it snapped. Now the lever moves up/down, but the steering wheel doesn't. Thankfully the steering wheel is locked in a somewhat comfortable positon...
What kind of repair would this involve? Tearing down the whole steering column? Can it be taken apart easily without compromising the airbag control?
Any threads people have seen with a step by step?
2002 Dakota, with manual transmission.
Thx!
You need to replace the steering column. I had this happen to me awhile back. No way to fix as the tilt unit it basically molded into the column. If you're lucky maybe it was a cable, but I'd guess one of the brackets broke.
I got mine off ebay. I just had to be sure the new one was for a truck that had my specific features (radio controls, tilt wheel, cruise control etc.

'04 Dakota AWD w/ Jasper 4.7l V8 & Reflexxions Cowl hood
3" BL, ProZen Intake, Ionic Nerf Bars
Steel Skid Plates, GTS Taillight Blackouts
Custom Consoles front and back w/ B&M Mega Shifter
post #3 of 3 Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Slick111
Dick

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota
Modifications: Air aid intake.Gibon exhaust

First time mine broke it was the cable not to easy to replace but doable. The second time a small pot metal fitting broke off no way to repair had to change the whole column
cost around 100-200 bucks at most salvage yards and WAY easer to swap out the whole unit than it was to just replace the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: