South Mississippi, where can I get an inspection sticker? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Region 2 (Southeast) AL-FL-GA-MS-NC-SC-TN

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Scrapin the Coast

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota
South Mississippi, where can I get an inspection sticker?

I've been to at least six places to get an inspection sticker and everyone has turned me down because of my tint. There is a line on the front windshield that shows how far tint can go down and I am way past that line by like 5 inches. I don't want to rip the tint out, but I also don't want a fat ass ticket. This is the first time i've had trouble getting a sticker. Before I would just ask for a sticker and they wouldn't think twice about giving it to me. Anyone in Mississippi know where they are leaniant about giving one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Dakotaholic

Vehicle: 99 Dakota R/T CC
Send a message via AIM to wildman77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgballin2002
I've been to at least six places to get an inspection sticker and everyone has turned me down because of my tint. There is a line on the front windshield that shows how far tint can go down and I am way past that line by like 5 inches. I don't want to rip the tint out, but I also don't want a fat ass ticket. This is the first time i've had trouble getting a sticker. Before I would just ask for a sticker and they wouldn't think twice about giving it to me. Anyone in Mississippi know where they are leaniant about giving one?
I am in Picayune and the locals over here say to go to any tire place away from the city and I shouldn't have a problem getting a sticker.
BTW nice Dak.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 01 Dakota Sport 2.5L
Send a message via AIM to mullet
If I remember correctly, MS just passed their new (stricter) tint law within the last year so that could by why you haven't had problems before but are now. I know there's quite a few people in north MS havingthe same problems right now, unfortunatelt I can't help with your problem. Good luck with it
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Scrapin the Coast

Here is a page discussing the issue. The $1,000 dollar fine and three months in jail sucks just for having your windows tinted.

Window tinting: Stricter guidelines hit July 1
Itawamba County Times - 2005-06-28 - Adam Armour

Itawamba County citizens with tinted vehicle windows will have to follow stricter guidelines due to a new Mississippi Tint Law going into effect July 1.

Vehicles with store bought, after factory, darkening material installed on their windows must now be taken to a participating Mississippi Vehicle Inspection Station and pass an inspection. Windows will be tested with a light meter, and those that do not allow a light transmittance of at least 35 percent will not pass the inspection and will have to have their tint removed.

According to the new law, all window tint inspections prior to July 1 will become null and void. This includes all inspections performed by the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol, so drivers will have to seek out participating inspection stations or risk being stopped by state troopers.

The new law requires each window that passes inspection to have a certified decal number placed on it and the driver given a certificate of compliance listing these numbers.

If the decal numbers on the windows do not match the numbers on the certificate, the driver can face stiff penalties, if pulled over.

Violators of the new law face up to a $1,000 fine, three months in jail, or both.

According to Sgt. Scott Swanson of the Mississippi Highway Patrol, any state trooper can pull a vehicle with darkened windows off the road to check decal numbers and the certificate of compliance and will begin doing so the day the law goes into effect.

"The law goes into effect on July 1, and there is absolutely no grace period. Drivers must have a certificate of compliance," Swanson said.

Just like a yearly vehicle inspection sticker, the new widow tint decals must be replaced yearly and will cost $5. According to Swanson, the biggest problem facing tinted window owners will be locating an inspection station that will perform the test.

Inspection stations that are to conduct window tint inspections must purchase a light meter to test the light of transmittance, or the amount of light that passes through the tint, and the reflective qualities of the window tint. The cost of this equipment, around $500, is keeping many inspection stations from conducting the test, which may cause problems for those needing their decals.

"The cost of the equipment and the amount of stickers that you would have to distribute to make up the cost of the meter just doesn't add up," said Suzanne Riley, owner of Riley Auto & Tire Service in Mantachie.

Unfortunately for those vehicle owners with tinted windows, most inspection stations in Itawamba County seem to feel the same as Riley. Davis Ford, Thompson Tires and Champion Express, all inspection stations in Fulton, have declined to participate in the window tint inspection program. Drivers will find Thompson Brothers Auto Sales in Mantachie to be the nearest inspection station participating in the program and distribution of decals.

"We're trying to get a list of every place that will be involved in the tint program," said Lt. Ed Nelson, director of the MVI and Implied Consent Office. Nelson hopes to soon post a website listing all participating inspection stations.

Both Swanson and Nelson hope that the new law will decrease the number of people illegally tinting their windows.

"When people got a sticker from the highway patrol they would go back and put on darker tint," Nelson said. The decals and matching numbers on the certificate of compliance should help alleviate some of the problem with illegal tinting, forcing drivers to either have their windows inspected or face the penalty.

"It is a primary law. If an officer thinks your windows are too dark, he can stop you," Swanson said.

The new law will also help keep law officers safe from potential dangers inside the vehicle.

"It's a law enforcement safety issue," Swanson said. "If the windows are too dark, we can't see in when we pull someone over."

Nelson agreed that the "main thing is to make it safer for officers and other people."
Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: removed
Good Luck finding a place Corey. The place I went to try to give me a problem bc of my factory tint on my back windows. The reason is because if there were to let you slide and you get pulled over, they can track the inspection sticker back to the place you got and they will get fined as well as you. So I just say pull it off and get it redone.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Dakota SLT
I would move
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Scrapin the Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdazzdak
Good Luck finding a place Corey. The place I went to try to give me a problem bc of my factory tint on my back windows. The reason is because if there were to let you slide and you get pulled over, they can track the inspection sticker back to the place you got and they will get fined as well as you. So I just say pull it off and get it redone.
I guess im goin to pull it off. One place told me they might could pass me if I pulled off the front. Any suggestions on how to get it off. I was thinking a good ol razor blade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: