Running Rich - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Denver Durango

Vehicle: 1998 5.2 Dodge Durango with mods growing by the day
Running Rich

Well, the title says it, I'm running pretty rich, as in I'm pretty sure I need a new cat now (or no cat would be better). I keep getting the cat code, and the ignition coil code. Any ideas?

I know it's not just sensors, I am running really rich, I can smell it easily. I doubt it is sensors causing it too, I just swapped out the O2s and no difference. Due to my lack of time I took it to an exhast place when I did that. Most recently when this all started (shortly after that), I looked under it, and did I always have a sensor before and after the cat in the exhast, I thought we just had one before. Or I suppose thats how it knows the whole cat thing, otherwise it would know if it was working or not. If that's the case if I just get frustrated and cut out the cat, will that mess with that sensor and therefore the computer, and screw my a/f?

any ideas let me know, I'm about ready to just saw that sucker off. Last time I got the coil code the coil wasn't bad, it was the wires for the exhast O2 sensor got melted and screwed up the A/F and it thought the coil was bad. Like I said, confused this time.

Thanks to all that help.
51mm Throttle Body SPAL fans 1.7 HS RRs
Holley Hi-Tek Intake with K&N's
NO A/C! But a Viair w/tank to take care of those tires
37"s and all aorund 24" travel with sway a way coils
High Flow cat and 3" exhast/long hedders

1985 Ramcharger
MSD ignition, distributor, wires, comp cam,
14x4'' intake 4.56 and 35"s
High Flow cat and 3" exhast/long hedders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 AM

Vehicle: Dakota
Send a message via AIM to Sam Cler
Running rich hmmm....

Well could be a fuel injector stuck open, maybe a plug not firing, a sensor giving the computer a wrong reading.

Check to see if a cylinder is running cold (too much fuel or no plug spark.) You can do this with a laser thermometer thing (excuse the non-technical term) or you can do it the old fashion way. Run the truck at idle after it completely cooled off for about a minute then take a squirt bottle with water and spray each individual primary of the headers. The cold cylinder is the one where the water doesn't evaporate completely or takes the longest. Not scientific but can give you an idea.

Cutting out the cat will not effect your A/F ratio. The pre cat sensor is the only one that controls that, the after cat sensor just gives you a warning (CEL) if something isn't running right. Another problem may be the location of the O2 sensor. It is supposed to be placed in the hottest part of the exhaust. If the exhaust shop moved it, it may not be in its optimal position to get the A/F ratio.
Custom Faded, Chipped and Rusted Paint Job
Leaking Rack & Pinion, Slipping Tranny, Pissing Oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: