P1281...help - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:03 PM
howe0822

Send a message via AIM to howe0822
P1281...help

My check engine light is on...it's P1281, it says that it is a Manufacturer Air and Fuel Management Problem, it might be going to the stealership on Tuesday (the 6th), just wondering if you guys can give me any insight as to what it could be, and what I can do to fix it.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
P1281: Engine Cold Too Long. That's an unusual one! The Diagnostics Manual says that this code is set if the engine does not warm to 176 degrees while driving for 20 minutes after start. It says the most probable cause is a Thermostat problem. A bad temp sensor could also cause it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 AM
howe0822

well I changed to a 180* T-Stat when I changed my heater core, which was last weekend.....I'm thinking maybe putting the stock t-stat in and checking to see if that solves the problem
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
howe0822

well I just went out to my truck and finally got around to switching my old 180* t-stat with my stock 19* t-stat, and I noticed there is no t-stat in the housing at all. Which is both good and bad, good because I just gotta get a new gasket and switch put a t-stat in there, bad because I don't remember what happened to the old t-stat, I thought I put it in there, and if I did put it in there, what the hell happened to it....I don't think these things can get sucked into the engine, or into a radiator hose, they are wider than all those things. Just a mystery of life I guess.....any thoughts?!?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
I doubt that it could be anywhere internally in the engine or radiator. I would just make sure it wasn't in the engine compartment waiting to fall into the fan or something similar. Then I would put a new one in and "go down the road". Things like that "bug" me also but you will probably find it when you are not expecting to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
howe0822

well problem solved, I put a stock t-stat in, and then found the one that I had put it, which I thought was 180* but it turned out the guy at autozone gave me 160* t-stat, which then triggered the temp. sensor, which caused my Check Engine Light....so, I went back to autozone and got a 180* t-stat, returned the one I bought from Dodge and got my money back, but I still have a 195* t-stat in the engine now, and next week I will put the 180* t-stat in. What a day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: