46RE Tranny Shift Questions - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 98 Durango SLT
46RE Tranny Shift Questions

1998 with 5.9 and 46RE transmission with 155k miles. Transmission was rebuilt at 85k quite a few years back.

Pan was corroding and starting to seep fluid. Replaced the pan, gasket, and filter last spring and have less than 10K miles on the new fluid.

This week, it started to not shift from 1st to 2nd normally. It will keep climbing in RPMs until about 3K and then shift if I let it. But I usually let it get to about 1800rpm, lift off the gas and it will then shift to 2nd. It shifts normally from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

Thinking 1st was slipping, I put int in Low and took off. It feels normal, and pulls fine even if I get over 3 k rpm. I can manually shift through the gears and everything feels fine.

If it was a band adjustment issue/slippage, would it slip when left in Low?

Or does it sound more like a Governor Pressure Solenoid & Sensor issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Durango RT
Take a look at the TV cable binding. I have this issue with my 2002 Durango.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Durango R/T
A 1/8th adjustment on the tv cable should solve the shifting issue, as mentioned. When the transmission gets serviced make sure the bands are adjusted properly.

http://www.biodsl.com/durangofsm.htm
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 98 Dakota Sport Ext Cab
All the experienced folks will jump straight to the governor pressure solenoid and sensor kit. Before you do that, fashion yourself a test gage and hook it up to the governor pressure port, jack up the back wheels, and then read the governor pressure at various speeds. It should be 1 psi per mph, so it should read 20 at 20 mph.
What I've found can cause this:
- Governor pressure solenoid screen plugged with debris
- Governor pressure solenoid bad
- Speed sensor bad
- Controls screen plugged (it's in the channel plate)

On my truck, the culprit was the controls screen. I ended up changing the other stuff before I found the screen had split and trashed the valve body. New screen and a thorough cleaning got it back to working.
Put yourself an external filter on it when you go back together. Your transmission will thank you.

The real beotch of this whole thing is that a fluid change will cost you $30-40, so if you go transmission diving and don't get it right the first time, you're out $40 again for fluid. You could go armed with everything, but then you are just throwing money at it unnecessarily. My money is on the $1.69 screen and clean the debris off the solenoid screens.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: 98 Durango SLT
Wow!
I didn't think it had been that long ago that I started having the shift problem. Yesterday, I dropped the tranny pan and found the front band support anchor laying there. I removed the valve body to put the anchor back in and adjust the band. Well, the band will tighten with the ends about 1/4" apart. Closer inspection shows that there is no friction material left on the front band. That is how it became loose and shifted, allowing the anchor to fall out. Since the truck is driveable, I decided to put everything back together and ease my way to the shop to have my tranny rebuilt. Once everything was back together, it will no longer start in park, but will start in Neutral. I am thinking that the shift linkage just needs adjusting.

Does anyone know how to adjust the shift linkage?

Last edited by Donny Durango; 08-26-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Durango R/T
The 2001 Dodge Ram FSM shows how to adjust the TV cable for the 46 trans. If I can find the 46RE on the Durango, I'll post it up, but the Ram is similar

http://www.biodsl.com/durangofsm.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: