4.7 blown head gasket - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Durango
4.7 blown head gasket

Im considering trading one of my trucks i have for a 00 dakota 4.7 2wd. The guy said it overheated and now blows white smoke.. Would you say head gasket or possibly head related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
\_(ツ)_/

Vehicle: 89 Shelby Dakota
Garage
What will you be giving him in the trade?
1989 Shelby Dakota #1319 - Sold
1991 Dodge Dakota 318 4x2 - Sold
1995 Dodge Dakota 318 4x4 -Sold
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD - Daily Driver
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 PM

87 f150 2wd v8
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT
Send a message via Skype™ to moparman_2004
well head gaskets alone will run you about 800 in labor plus parts just fyi
First to do 2008 cams, 4.6l Trick flow lash adjusters, Fastman Throttle Body, Gibson Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust, Power Wire, Sonnax, 2008 intake, Balanced #24 Ford Racing Injectors, Jet 180 Thermostat, SCT Tunner by Hemifever, Custom Valve Covers, Cervinis Ram Air hood, innovative A/F Gauge, halo headlights and blacked out tails, Street Scene Grilles, billet fuse box,mm oil-tranny knobs, shaved tailgate, ARP head studs, cometic head gaskets,billet oil cap/ battery strap, comp cams valve springs, KRC billet fuel rails
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman_2004 View Post
well head gaskets alone will run you about 800 in labor plus parts just fyi

Gaskets are 35 bucks, costs about 40 to get the heads checked and cleaned, and i am mechanically inclined enough to do the labor myself.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Layin Low

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota Sport
Send a message via AIM to SH0K0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Gaskets are 35 bucks, costs about 40 to get the heads checked and cleaned, and i am mechanically inclined enough to do the labor myself.
I'm not doubting your ability to do the headgasket...

But the 4.7 has cam over head and had a total of 3 timing chains that are all connected.

It is a total PITA to do the headgaskets on one. That's not counting the tensioners that require "grenade pins" to hold them all the way back... and there is a specialty tool that holds time on all 3 chains.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Well if needed a have the head gaskets exhaust water pump gaskets that came out of a complete gasket set I have that I done need the rest can be reused
First to do 2008 cams, 4.6l Trick flow lash adjusters, Fastman Throttle Body, Gibson Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust, Power Wire, Sonnax, 2008 intake, Balanced #24 Ford Racing Injectors, Jet 180 Thermostat, SCT Tunner by Hemifever, Custom Valve Covers, Cervinis Ram Air hood, innovative A/F Gauge, halo headlights and blacked out tails, Street Scene Grilles, billet fuse box,mm oil-tranny knobs, shaved tailgate, ARP head studs, cometic head gaskets,billet oil cap/ battery strap, comp cams valve springs, KRC billet fuel rails
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 01 Dodge Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH0K0TA View Post
I'm not doubting your ability to do the headgasket...

But the 4.7 has cam over head and had a total of 3 timing chains that are all connected.

It is a total PITA to do the headgaskets on one. That's not counting the tensioners that require "grenade pins" to hold them all the way back... and there is a specialty tool that holds time on all 3 chains.
Im sure they do make a special tool, but setting timing on a 4.7 isn't that hard, did it myself in the driveway with a few zipties and bungee cords and another person to help me was all I needed. I almost think you can pull heads off a 4.7 without removing the timing cover jus don't allow the chain to jump off the cam gear once the cam unbolted from the cam gear I don't see why the cylinder heads can't be removed, but I could be wrong
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Layin Low

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota Sport
Send a message via AIM to SH0K0TA
you can do it that way. but you need these triangle looking things to make sure the tensioners don't pop the chains off and then adjust themselves all the way out.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM

As far as specialty tools go, i can make them. I have done several different head gasket changes on ohc engines. Its all a matter of the approach to be honest. But it appears that the guy backed out at the last minute anyways.. Thanks for all the comments and help tho
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 AM
www.AIRRAM.com

Vehicle: 2002 QC RAM 4.7L *SOLD*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Dak4.7 View Post
Im sure they do make a special tool, but setting timing on a 4.7 isn't that hard, did it myself in the driveway with a few zipties and bungee cords and another person to help me was all I needed. I almost think you can pull heads off a 4.7 without removing the timing cover jus don't allow the chain to jump off the cam gear once the cam unbolted from the cam gear I don't see why the cylinder heads can't be removed, but I could be wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH0K0TA View Post
you can do it that way. but you need these triangle looking things to make sure the tensioners don't pop the chains off and then adjust themselves all the way out.

Guys before we get some mis information out...

NO you cannot remove the heads without removing the front cover... at least CORRECTLY..

Your guides are attached to your heads... and your tensioners are pressing on the guides... the wedge tool is designed to pressure the chains to the guides within the head... Once you move the head there is no way to keep tension on the guides and or prevent your tensioners from fully extending.

You will need to remove the front cover and rig up some Zip ties to hold the two cam chains from falling off of the idler sprocket in the center...

You will also need to zip tie the cam sprockets to the chain...

once the heads are removed you will need to reset your tensioners by compressing them and installing a pin or paper clip into the hole. This is easiest when done in your hand so removing the tensioner completely will actually make it easier.

If you do not remove the front cover your tensioner will fully extend... and you also risk losing time of your cam chains and idler sprocket... Its just easier to do it right...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 AM

I had forgot about the chain guides that are bolted to the heads, but yea the tensioners would over extend I actually had wound up using small nails to hold mine in place when I reset my tensioners. Anyways def all good information for anyone attempting to remove heads or reset timing etc.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota Sport RC
Send a message via AIM to Cloned_R/T
Reading all this makes me extremely nervous about blowing a head gasket now.

Mods to the 2003 4.7:
Gibson Headers, Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Shaker hood intake with airraid filter, Superchips Programmer 3715, Mopar LSD unit with 3.92 gears.............much more to come.

Previous Personal Best: 15.304@87.25 7/5/11
New Personal Best: 14.993@88.93 4/12/12
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM

ya i didnt even wanna screw with mine so im taking mine in
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM

the timing on the 4.7 can look intimidating but its not bad at all once you do it, funny part bout when I did get mine fixed guy at the dealership couldn't believe I did it on my own. but ive gotten kinda used to that these days older people don't think young guys know how to do much these days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: