05 Durango suspension shake/wheel hop/wobble - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suspensions - Lifted & Lowered Drop Kits, Lift Kits, Shocks and More

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 AM

Vehicle: 05 Rango 05 Ram Cummins
05 Durango suspension shake/wheel hop/wobble

Ok, Fellas,

I am new here, but not new to these rigs, or the automotive world. Let me brief you in on my ride and what I have done to it so far, then on what the prob seems to be.

I drive on 05 Ram 3500 diesel, and wanted something for the wife to drive so I purchased an 05 Rango 2wd 4.7 with a bad transmission for her. I replaced the 545RFE with an almost new unit, put new brakes on it, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, air-raid intake, full tune up, and synthetic fluid in every single lubricated part. I also installed 3" eibach progressive lowering springs in the back, coupled with air-lift 1000 bags in the rear. Lowered the front about 1" via backing the torsion bars off. Painted lids on headlights, ditched the 17's and threw on some 20" rockstars wrapped in brand new NEXEN sport 275's.

WOW what a different machine now! It went from handling like a lifted jeep to a Supra(well not quite, but close)

That brings me to my problem. Ever since I bought it, it has had a fairly violent shake that occurs every time I hit a decent size bump, going nearly any speed. It has progressively gotten worse, either due to wearing out more, or my mods, not sure which. I think the 20" wheels dont dampen it like the 17s did. The vehicle is aligned PERFECTLY for the ride height it sits at, and all suspension components have been checked. Everything except the lower ball joints are in A-1 condition. The lower ball joints have zero lateral movement, but about 3/16" vertical play. I am ordering some and am going to replace them, but I would really like to know if any of you have experienced similar problems caused by ball joints? I know that I should start with what I know if bad, but the way it shakes, I have my doubts that it is caused by the ball joints. Any thoughts anyone?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Big red

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota 4wd
Have you checked the wheel bearings? Are the tires perfectly balanced? How are the shocks in the front?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Chillin The Most

Vehicle: moms box
Reputation: 213 zclif2601 is a splendid one to beholdzclif2601 is a splendid one to beholdzclif2601 is a splendid one to behold
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMIN&CHOW View Post
Ok, Fellas,

I am new here, but not new to these rigs, or the automotive world. Let me brief you in on my ride and what I have done to it so far, then on what the prob seems to be.

I drive on 05 Ram 3500 diesel, and wanted something for the wife to drive so I purchased an 05 Rango 2wd 4.7 with a bad transmission for her. I replaced the 545RFE with an almost new unit, put new brakes on it, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, air-raid intake, full tune up, and synthetic fluid in every single lubricated part. I also installed 3" eibach progressive lowering springs in the back, coupled with air-lift 1000 bags in the rear. Lowered the front about 1" via backing the torsion bars off. Painted lids on headlights, ditched the 17's and threw on some 20" rockstars wrapped in brand new NEXEN sport 275's.

WOW what a different machine now! It went from handling like a lifted jeep to a Supra(well not quite, but close)

That brings me to my problem. Ever since I bought it, it has had a fairly violent shake that occurs every time I hit a decent size bump, going nearly any speed. It has progressively gotten worse, either due to wearing out more, or my mods, not sure which. I think the 20" wheels dont dampen it like the 17s did. The vehicle is aligned PERFECTLY for the ride height it sits at, and all suspension components have been checked. Everything except the lower ball joints are in A-1 condition. The lower ball joints have zero lateral movement, but about 3/16" vertical play. I am ordering some and am going to replace them, but I would really like to know if any of you have experienced similar problems caused by ball joints? I know that I should start with what I know if bad, but the way it shakes, I have my doubts that it is caused by the ball joints. Any thoughts anyone?....
Im slightly confused, a 2wd durango has torsion bars?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:11 AM
The Anti-RUB

Vehicle: 4.7L '03 Durango SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zclif2601 View Post
Im slightly confused, a 2wd durango has torsion bars?
+1

3/16ths movement is a lot. Especially when any movement is too much. It could easily be your problem, however, where there is one problem there is often another. So I would check the upper/lower control arm bushings, inner/outer tie rods, rack-n-pinion mounting bushings, sway bar bushings, steering shaft u-joints, shock bushings and mounting bolts, etc. The list goes on. A nice sized pry bar should help. Stick it in various spots and see if you can move the component. There should be no movement.

Good luck...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Your problem is similar to mine; I've been dealing with the bouncing front end for over a year now. When driving 30 mph and I hit a rough patch in the road she acts like I have no shocks. Also when going above 65 mph, I get what some call the death wobble. I've researched and replaced everything that could contribute to this situation. Then I said I'll drive her until it get worst and hopefully the cause will reveal itself. Well it's been a year, It hasn't gotten worst and I don't drive faster than 60 mph. My long trip vehicle has become my around the town daily driver. During routine maintenance I noticed right rear axle seal starting to leak, not enough to cover the brake components. The crankshaft seal looks like it may begin to leak soon, two header bolts are broken and the PPH headers need to be re-coated. The rear main seal needs replacement again, not dripping on the ground yet. I'm trying to decide if I should replace her with something new, or invest the money for the repairs. Not being able to track down the front end issue may be the deciding factor. She has 108,000 miles, the engine runs strong. I'll be watching this post and any info that fixes mine.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman98 View Post
Your problem is similar to mine; I've been dealing with the bouncing front end for over a year now. When driving 30 mph and I hit a rough patch in the road she acts like I have no shocks. Also when going above 65 mph, I get what some call the death wobble. I've researched and replaced everything that could contribute to this situation. Then I said I'll drive her until it get worst and hopefully the cause will reveal itself. Well it's been a year, It hasn't gotten worst and I don't drive faster than 60 mph. My long trip vehicle has become my around the town daily driver. During routine maintenance I noticed right rear axle seal starting to leak, not enough to cover the brake components. The crankshaft seal looks like it may begin to leak soon, two header bolts are broken and the PPH headers need to be re-coated. The rear main seal needs replacement again, not dripping on the ground yet. I'm trying to decide if I should replace her with something new, or invest the money for the repairs. Not being able to track down the front end issue may be the deciding factor. She has 108,000 miles, the engine runs strong. I'll be watching this post and any info that fixes mine.
Here is what i would check:

Jack the front end up.
place one hand at top one hand at bottom of tire see if it moves back and forth as you push and pull. If this occurs bad Wheel bearings.

now check your upper and lower ball joints if you see over excessive grease or boot ripped more than likely they are bad, Now check your inner and outer tierods see if you have any play in them. if so replace.

Or simply take a few pictures and post there here make sure you get clear pics. I hate to say someone saw Jesus or the Lock Ness monster in them.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Durango 4.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMIN&CHOW View Post
Ok, Fellas,

did you change anything with the rear sway bar when you installed the new springs I was thinking about lowering mine also
Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 AM

I replaced the gearbox, had the wheels aligned and the problem eased up significantly. I went on a trip, used the cruise control for 60, 65 and 70 mph and had just a slight vibration at 70mph. It would happen only occasionally when I had to slow down, then hit 70 mph again. The gearbox was replaced due to a loose and leaking condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: