Headlights Wont Work - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango
Headlights Wont Work

1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V8 Magnum

Headlights wont work. Checked all fuses, switch and changed bulbs on both sides. Still no lights. I do have running lights and turn signals.....

I am getting power to the switch...tested that....switch is good too....replaced it and still no change.

I think the problem might be in the column....here is why...The bright lights will work if you hold the switch toward you...but will not remain on by themselves.

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 98/Dodge/Durango SLT
Send a message via MSN to RebelX
I just replaced my headlight switch after some similar probs.

Mine would turn off at random times while driving with them on. Something to consider. 20 buck part at advance
5 Door Whore # 173
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM

Not my headlight switch....It is on the other hand a very bad short. The green wire in the steering column leading up to the bright light switch is burned....or melted....Not sure how to track down the short though....but did get that far....
Old 04-18-2012, 03:41 AM
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Reputation: 176 TazRango is a name known to allTazRango is a name known to all
I could've sworn I already posted a reply here... Weird...

If the wire is burned that is a sign of a high resistance connection (not a short) at the multifunction switch. High resistance comes from loose terminals or corrosion.. The 'flash to pass' function runs through a separate set of contacts so it would still work even if the common lead for high /low is malfunctioning.. You will have to take the column apart and see what condition the switch connector and harness are in. More than likely the connector in the switch is melted and you will have to replace it. Your best bet for repairing the harness will be to cut the plug out of a junkyard truck and splice it in.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)

Last edited by TazRango; 04-18-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM

Headlights Wont Work

Here is a pic of my steering column... Guys please be gentle with me as I am not mechanically inclined. I am not sure what I should replace.... Hopefully you guys can see the wire that is burned. I am not sure what the multiswitch is...do I need to replace all of the wires that connect to the steering wheel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Durango 003.JPG (367.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Confused Brat; 04-18-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: left out stuff
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Jersey Boy

That pic is just a tiny bit out of focus.. Can't see anything. Use the Macro setting on your camera (the tulip icon) to force the camera to focus on the closeup.

The multifunction switch is basically another name for the turn signal switch. They call it multifunction because it has the turn signals, hazards, high/low beam switch, wiper control, and in older trucks the cruise control. Unfortunately if one function breaks or if the connector burns or melts, the whole switch needs to be replaced.

All I can make out in the picture is a stripped green wire, but it doesn't look burned to me. I also can't tell if that picture is looking up or down the column. You will also need to take the upper cover off the column to access and get a better look at the switch/connector - that will require a Torx T-15 (IIRC) screwdriver. Just remove the 3 screws in the bottom cover and pop the two halves of the cover apart. If it gets stuck on the tilt-wheel lock lever, just unscrew the lever.

If there is burned wiring and melted connectors, it needs to be replaced, no question. The easiest way to do that is to go to a junkyard and cut the identical harness out of a junk truck (the length you will need depends on how far the wiring is burned) and splice it into yours using solder and heat-shrink tubing.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)

Last edited by TazRango; 04-18-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 AM

Sorry about the pic. I thought maybe you could see enough. It was a pic of the side of my steering wheel. I have everything taken apart. Since I just bought this truck from a used car dealer I called them up today and are suppose to have it fixed tomorrow. (Hopefully) The wire that you seen was spliced in with another wire into the blue box that connects into the back of the multifunction switch. If they don't fix it...I will be back

Thanks for all your help.
Staci
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Jersey Boy

Any luck?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Lights are fixed! Was suppose to have it fixed by a mechanic but I am a very impatient person and when the mechanic couldn't fix it by the next day like he said he could because of not being able to find the parts, I started calling around for parts that were new. Found the multifunction switch at Advanced for about $60 and then the tamper torx set was another $33....Called the dealership up and told them the situation they then called in their credit card to Advanced so I could go pick up what I needed to fix the lights.

There was a small wire on the harness that had been soldered on, that came off. I cleaned off all the old solder and soldered a new wire to work with...then a couple wire clamps to fix the wiring problem and the new switch installed and all lights work fine.

I know I will have to find a new wire harness at some point just to make sure it doesn't happen again but for now it is fixed.

Thanks for all your help.

Staci

Last edited by Confused Brat; 04-28-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Jersey Boy

Good to hear it!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: