Engine Cutout, Help Please - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 AM

Vehicle: 03 Durango
Engine Cutout, Help Please

Hello all. I am new here but just spent about 2 hours searching for info on my problem and didn't find anything so I figured I would join and just ask.

I have a 2003 Durango with the 4.7l engine and about 137k miles. Right now when driving it at 60 mph, when you accelerate to pass someone or just accelerate hard, as soon as it gets around 3k rpm it cuts out then comes back then cuts out again. It is like it is hitting a rev limiter. My wife was just down town with it and she said that it stalled on her trying to pull out into trafic. WHen she got back home I went out and started it and revved it in park. You can hold the rpms fine all the way up to about 3k rpm but then I does the same thing. Cuts out and falls about 500rpm then goes back up to 3k and cuts back again over and over. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Reputation: 175 TazRango is a name known to allTazRango is a name known to all
Is the Check Engine light on or are there any codes set? If a potentially damaging condition exists, or a critical sensor goes bad (CKP/CMP are the most common),the PCM goes into 'limp home' mode, which sets the rev limiter to 2500 rpm.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 AM

The check engine light has been on for a while now. Had it checked out quick one day and the said it was something to do with the evap system. Never got around to fixing that, but now this condition came about. I don't have a code reader and haven't had a chance to take it somewhere to get the codes looked at. I believe the condition is about 2500rpm though.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 AM
www.AIRRAM.com

Vehicle: 2002 QC RAM 4.7L *SOLD*
I would do a couple things...

1) A bottle of Gas Line Water remover. (not to be confused with fuel injection cleaner)
2) Fuel injection cleaner
3) remove & clean throttle body.
4) Remove coils and inspect for evidence of moisture around boot bottom. Many older
5) 4.7L engines do not have the rubber seal mid way on coil packs and only have the O-ring seal which can go bad.
6) Check the gap on the plugs.

These are the cheapest steps to take and cover the most likely cause of your problem.

The Evap issue could just be a leaking Gas Cap or a small leak in the system.

Let us know what you find.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 AM

Just went out and tried it again. Just started the engine and left it in park then slowly increased rpm. This time it went up to about 3900rpm before it started the cutout. Seems like it does it at lower rpm the warmer the engine is maybe? This wouldn't be a fuel pressure issue would it?

BTW, had to replace a head and head gasket about 1 year ago and that was done by a reputable shop.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 AM
Jersey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
The check engine light has been on for a while now. Had it checked out quick one day and the said it was something to do with the evap system. Never got around to fixing that, but now this condition came about. I don't have a code reader and haven't had a chance to take it somewhere to get the codes looked at. I believe the condition is about 2500rpm though.
Starting at OFF, flip the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (landing at ON) and watch the odometer. It'll flash any stored P codes one after the other, separated by ------, and after the last code it will display PdonE. Post up any codes you get and we'll go from there.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 AM

P0016
p0456
p0440
p0344
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Jersey Boy

P0016: Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment, A rationality error has been detected for camshaft position out of phase with crankshaft.
P0344: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

It's a bad camshaft position sensor. As it is failing it is likely producing a junk signal that doesn't jibe with what the crankshaft position sensor is telling the computer. So it is disregarding the signal completely and engaging the rev limiter to protect itself from damage. Either that or the timing chain is so loose it jumped a tooth - but that's very unlikely at 133k, especially if it otherwise runs fine.

0440 and 0456 are EVAP errors. 0456 is the gas cap leak code.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Is that hard to change? Are there two of them since this is a OHC engine? I am very knowledgable about Ford engines but not so much on these. THis is my wifes vehicle and she NEEDS it everyday. It does run perfectly fine otherwise.

Can you give me a little more guidance please.

Last edited by Fuel; 03-27-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 AM
Jersey Boy

No it's simple. One sensor. It's on the front of the engine, passenger side, just south of the valve cover. One bolt to remove, one connector to unplug. Just don't lose the spacer that's under the bolt because that's a dealer item.

The part number is Standard Motor Products PC244T. Should be less than $20.

After you're done changing it, don't forget to clear the codes, either with a scan tool or by pulling the neg battery cable for 30 seconds.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 AM

Thank you very much. I am going to try to get a replacement and get it on ASAP(easier said than done in a town of 800 and no parts stores)!!!

I didn't know that there is only one, my 2008 mustang has two, urgh.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Jersey Boy

There's gotta be somewhere around you. Any of the franchise chains (Carquest, Bumper to Bumper, Federated, etc) should have it. If not, Rock Auto has it and will ship it right to you. Check their forum in the vendor section for the current discount code.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 AM

I will have to slip out of town tomorrow and check the parts store in the next town. I believe they are a carquest. Thank you for the pic and about clearing the codes. Do you think if I bought a new gas cap it would get rid of the other codes also?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 AM
Jersey Boy

It may very well have been the cap was just loose, and the code was simply never cleared. Ask the guy at the parts store (or a nearby shop) if they happen to have a cap tester. It's just an air hose attachment with a gauge that tests if the cap can hold pressure. If you cant get it tested, no biggie, just reset the codes and see if they come back. EVAP codes are simply for EPA emissions and have no negative effect on the engine, so if it comes back, there's no rush to make a special trip back to replace the cap, just grab one the next time you are near a parts store.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 AM

Thank you sir! You help is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: