'01 Dakota Quad Cab Sub Install - Dakota Durango Forum
Audio, Security & Multimedia Speakers, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Alarms, TV's, Game Consoles

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Fatjesus71

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota 4.7 SLT Quad
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lightbulb '01 Dakota Quad Cab Sub Install

Hey,

I have been doing my research for about 4 months now and have found that there is not a whole lot of options for a sub install in the QC's without having to leave out the seats. BUT from bits and pieces I have collected ideas and taken them into consideration when it came down to the time to do the install. I have tried to take pics of my progress but had forgotten to document some steps. I am not completely finished and I am curious who else has done a behind the seat install in there QC and who would be interested in this information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 AM
lo1dakota
DAMN

Vehicle: 2003 Quadcab
Modifications: Trucks, Motorcycles

Well what did you do?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Fatjesus71

I ordered some sub boxes from a place in cali they come in a set of 2 and they come with very specific dimensions so I made sure the subs I wanted would be a good match before I ordered them (Sony Xplod 10") I have always had good luck with them and have yet to blow them regardless of my Planet Audio 1200W Class D amp cranked up. I got the boxes and had to remove the back of the seats so I could trace around them on the back panel. Remove back panel cut out the placement for the boxes. Now I had to remove the cab vents that are fitted into the rear wall of the cab and I cut out some plexi glass to cover those but before mounting with rivets I placed a bead of butyl tape (window weld) around the edge to make it water proof, then cover the edges of the plexi with a waterproofing duct tape (sold at walmart) just for good measure and to cover any sharp edges and then drilled and riveted into place with 1/8 rivets.

Had to remove the jack holder from behind/under the rear pass side seat. To do so, I used a 3/8 drill bit to drill out the 6 spot welds (just small circles on the plate surface). After that I went to my local tractor supply store and got some "Christmas tree" fender holders and found some with 3/8 diameter and placed some waterproofing tape over the holes and pushed the Christmas trees through the holes.

Now took apart the back of the seats and just dealt with the metal framing of the seat. I knew that the subs would hit the bottom framing tube of the seat backs so I cut out the tubing at the bottom of the seat frame and partially the support rods coming from the top of the seat to the bottom and I cut some metal rod and welded it in place so that the support rods weren't just sitting there poking through the back of the seats and if for some reason someone was in the back seat and I got in an accident there is less of a chance of having those support rods going through someones body (just good measure once again). And now I am waiting for my subs to come in at walmart since the older version of 10" xplod are $30 and there is no mechanical/technical difference.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 AM
lo1dakota
DAMN

What are the dimensions of the boxes? Mainly curious of the mounting depth.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Fatjesus71

It has 2 options when you order them. Here is a link to the specific boxes. You can check the options there.

https://www.soundoffaudio.com/items....a%20Crew%20Cab
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Fatjesus71

post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM
lo1dakota
DAMN

I only want 1.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2012, 04:13 AM
demented04

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Quadcab 4x4

i dont have any pics but i put a 10" Shallow mount sub in a box i build behind the seat. The box is like 5" deep at bottom, and 2.5" at top and 17" wide. I had to stuff it full of some polyfil to get best results but i think it sounds great. The sub i used is this one http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-134. only thing i had to do is remove one of the seat bolts and hand tighten the other so i can still lift the seat bottom up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: