Manual transmission swap - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota
Manual transmission swap

I am aware of the kiesler kit and it's expensive and rare nature. Having said that I have absolutely no desire, nor the budget for a kiesler. What are the other options as far as manual tranny's go. I already have a 5-speed 318 truck and I am wondering what options are out there since there is little info on this subject. Has anyone put a gen 4 6-speed in their gen 3? What manual trasmissions are compatible? Are there any kits to adapt other styles of transmissions? I need to try to keep this all under $1500 for parts and supplies, labor is not going to be a cost since my father, grandfather, and I will be attempting this if I can get more info. I like the way the nv3500 tows (it feels like I could pull a house off the foundation in 1st--but 1st quicly achieves redline) but I only ever really pull my 10 foot pop up and when in transport a 6th gear would help my mileage alot, so it is worth the investment if I can save gas and hopefully get something with slightly taller gears, if not 6th is good enough. I have even heard a tale about adapting kits to put the mustang t5 behind a magnum...is this true? I would greatly appreciate any input because I have scoured the internet and basically only found the Keisler and not much else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 

Vehicle: 2 of em.
Reputation: 395 jmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to behold
You have to go aftermarket. I suggest searching. There is a parts list to swap in a t56 not using keisler.

If you get the TKO bellhousing from lakewood you can do the same and keep a 5 speed. The rest is up to you. Being you have a 97 though its gonna be difficult if not impossible to get your speedo working since the rear doesnt have the sensor.

Start reading.
http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16300

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16232
Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 AM

Vehicle: 1998 dodge dakota sport
Garage
Smile

A 6 speed trans may drop rpm's to low in 6 gear and kill your mpg's more. You can take your engine out of it's power band. But you can change your tire size up one size lg and see a .5 to 1 mpg inpro.And still have a killer 1st gear.You must stay with 3% of oem tire size for that to work..... You don't whant to drop your rpm's more than 200 rpm's... 100 to 150rpm's is the best...IMHO...Remenber oem's match dr/train to work right...to keep the rpm's right...God bless...
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota
Well it seems as though a 6-speed would just be costly to achieve, seems like my best bet would be to put a Mustang 5 speed in (for the money)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: