Fuel Pump Check Valve - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen III Dakotas 1997-2004 Dakota-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: dakota
Fuel Pump Check Valve

Well it seems like my Fuel Pump Check Valve has gone, one day the truck started first time every time, now it takes an extended time or 2 or 3 ignition turns to get her started, I did the test with a fuel pump pressure tester and it lost pressure within a short while, no leaking from injectors or anywhere else, I can live with this for a while as money is tight at the moment.

So a couple of questions:
1) Rough idea how long it will last like this?
2) Has anyone installed one of these
Amazon Amazon
with success or is that a really bad idea?
3) Drop the tank, remove the bed or cut a hole in the bed to replace the pump?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 98' Dakota Sport V8 360
Garage
Spend $30 on some nice new straps and some undercoating, drive it until it's bone dry and drop the tank.

Not worth having a huge rust magnet cut into your bed for a few minutes on the floor with a jack and some tin snips.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Exchange Bronze Contributor

Vehicle: '02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
How long will it last? Well if you mean the pump - could last for a long time - just a bad check valve.

How easy to replace fuel pump? Not hard at all (IMO) I am by no means a mechanic and I have had mine out.

What model is your truck? I have had the box off mine - not a hard job at all but with mine being a quad cab, the fuel pump mainly sits under the cab and not the box. I pulled my tank off the other weekend in less than a half hour - I made sure it was near empty.
It was pretty easy but I have "played" with the tank and tank straps quite a bit before.
If you would like a step by step, let me know.
But if you are thinking of dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump, I would also suggest getting new straps and probably new evap hoses and replace them while you're at it
Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
How long will it last? Well if you mean the pump - could last for a long time - just a bad check valve.

How easy to replace fuel pump? Not hard at all (IMO) I am by no means a mechanic and I have had mine out.

What model is your truck? I have had the box off mine - not a hard job at all but with mine being a quad cab, the fuel pump mainly sits under the cab and not the box. I pulled my tank off the other weekend in less than a half hour - I made sure it was near empty.
It was pretty easy but I have "played" with the tank and tank straps quite a bit before.
If you would like a step by step, let me know.
But if you are thinking of dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump, I would also suggest getting new straps and probably new evap hoses and replace them while you're at it
Yeah, I mean the pump, I have a quad cab too, a step by step would be great.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM

This thread has the step by step to remove the box - with pics

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...=146438&page=2

This one on the last page shows a pic of the top of the tank with bed removed. You can see the rollover valve and the fuel filler hose connection.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...=143640&page=3

This one shows the fuel pump on the tank

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=150770
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Awesome, thanks, really appreciated..
Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM

This is how I removed the tank from the truck
- remove the gas cap from fuel filler hose
- remove the 3 torx screws holding the fuel filler neck unto the box. them bend tabs (if it has them) that holds the filler neck to the box.
- Remove fuel pump relay from relay/fuse panel under the hood on driver's side.
- Start truck and run till it dies - turn over a couple more times to ensure no fuel in the line
- remove negative cable from your battery
- remove fuel tank skid pan if equipped
- place a rolling jack underneath fuel tank, position it so it will hold the tank in place
- remove the 2 nuts that secure the tank straps to the frame.
- lower the tank as far as you can without putting stress on the wire connection of the fuel pump (which connects along the frame rail) or the fuel line connection or the hose running to the rollover valve
- You will need to disconnect the wires running to ther fuel pump as mentioned above
- disconnect the fuel line connected to fuel pump - there may be a small amount of gas in the line
- remove the hose connected to the roll over valve
- position the tank straps out of the way so you can pull the tank out from under the truck
- you will have to play with the tank and the jack to get the jack out from underneath the tank, and you may have to raise the truck slightly to get the tank out from underneath
- Once you have the tank out, mark the location of the fittings on the old fuel pump - as the new one needs to be positioned in the same direction so that the float does not hit the side of the tank.
- Remove large plastic nut from the top of the fuel pump
- position the new pump accordingly ( there will be instructions about placement with the new pump) and reattach the nut
- the reinstall should be just the reverse order to reattach the tank.
I know this seems wordy but it really isn't a hard job. I also have the Haynes manual which helped with diagrams - plus Google is always good as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM

BTW - I have had the same hard start issue for over a year now. I can't confirm that it is the check valve as I haven't been able to do a fuel pressure test. It did get a new fuel pump though, which did not fix my issue.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 AM
The Anti-RUB

Vehicle: 4.7L '03 Durango SLT
How did you determine that the fuel injectors and fuel lines were not leaking? Just looking for a wet spot isn't conclusive. For example, a fuel injector that is stuck open will leak into the cylinder bore where you can't see it. Best way to find out if it is the pump or not is to hook up the pressure gauge, run the pressure test and while the pressure is still up take a set of vise grips and pinch the flexible return fuel line going into the tank. If memory serves, there are two flexible fuel lines coming out of the fuel tank. One is the send and one is the return. If you don't know which is which, just pinch them both off. If the pressure continues to go down with the lines pinched off then the leak is not the fuel pump check valve.

Good luck...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Bought this http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html from Harbor Freight, removed the gas cap, removed the fuel pump relay,let truck run until it quit, installed the pump tester on the Schrader valve, put gas cap back on, and put fuel pump relay back in, started truck, shut off truck pressure began to fall, repeated the above but my buddy pinched the flexible fuel lines, fuel pressure held.

This is the first time me and my buddy have done a fuel pressure test, is this the correct way.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 AM
The Anti-RUB

Vehicle: 4.7L '03 Durango SLT
Most auto parts stores rent fuel pressure test kits (you get your money back when you return it), so you didn't need to buy one.

There are a bunch of video's on youtube on how to test a fuel system. Here is one that is almost identical to your problem:
and another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: