Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
97Dodgeman

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Timing Chain Replacement

Hi all. I have a 97 Dakota and I keep the service up to a T. I know that timing chains don't typically call for replacement, and I have no current problems with my own, I was just wondering if there was a recommended mileage interval for changing the timing chain on a 3.9 V6? I'm currently at 201K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 AM
ol' grouch
ol' grouch

Vehicle: 1992 Dakota, 2001 Ram

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Dodgeman View Post
Hi all. I have a 97 Dakota and I keep the service up to a T. I know that timing chains don't typically call for replacement, and I have no current problems with my own, I was just wondering if there was a recommended mileage interval for changing the timing chain on a 3.9 V6? I'm currently at 201K.

On the newer engines, I've usually replaced them around 140K. The engines were still running but had a lot of timing chain slap inside and were running cooler than they should. After replacement, the heater puts out a lot more heat, the engine has more power and the fuel mileage actually goes up because the computer finally gets out of "open loop" mode.

Practicing curmudgeon.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, 1998 Furd Taurus, 1982 Mercedes 380 SL, 2005 Kawasaki Concours and last but not least, 1992 Dakota 4X4.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Little Blue Guy
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Modifications: Installed every option
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

if it's making noise, replace it along with tensioner...if it's quiet...leave it alone

Bryan

All our cars are here --> http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/A383Wing

post #4 of 12 Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
97Dodgeman

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota

Thanks guys. I found your answers helpful.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
donram360

Vehicle: 93 clubcab 318 5 speed
Modifications: 5 speed swap very "pieced together" truck but mostly stock It's had lots of junkyard help keeping it alive but as long as the body + frame stay good that will continue
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a 94 with 108K I replaced the chain with a Cloyes "OE Replacement" (this truck is no hot rod) at 100K, it was noisey as He11; well for the last 7-800 I'm starting to hear it again; i usually go double roller on everything I replace the chain on; I am kicking myself for not doing so this time. fortunately this is an easy chain to do, I'll probably do another this spring after I get my check from Uncle sam. This time I'll do like I normally do and go Edelbrock double roller; same chain set as a 318/360.

caution: still plays with carburetors!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 AM
ol' grouch
ol' grouch

Vehicle: 1992 Dakota, 2001 Ram

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donram360 View Post
I have a 94 with 108K I replaced the chain with a Cloyes "OE Replacement" (this truck is no hot rod) at 100K, it was noisey as He11; well for the last 7-800 I'm starting to hear it again; i usually go double roller on everything I replace the chain on; I am kicking myself for not doing so this time. fortunately this is an easy chain to do, I'll probably do another this spring after I get my check from Uncle sam. This time I'll do like I normally do and go Edelbrock double roller; same chain set as a 318/360.

Did you use the upgraded tensioner that Chrysler used on later engines? It will quiet the chain right down. I think it was used from 1998 on but will go back to the '92 Magnums.

Practicing curmudgeon.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, 1998 Furd Taurus, 1982 Mercedes 380 SL, 2005 Kawasaki Concours and last but not least, 1992 Dakota 4X4.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Little Blue Guy
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

I put the tensioner on my 94...there is a TSB from Chrysler about this as well...got it from dealer, was not all that expensive

Bryan

post #8 of 12 Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 AM
RussV6

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Dakota V6

Hi - new on here so not sure if I should start a new thread or follow this one as you guys seem to know about this issue but I'll go here for now;
Does the timing chain being worn cause running issues as well as the rattle? My truck had a slight rattle when I bought it four years ago and they fixed it before I took the truck (I'm pretty sure it was something to do with the manifold) and all was well. Last year it started a rattle again and I thought it might be the previous problem coming back but having looked into the timing chain symptoms it could well be that as it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine this time. The running issues that have also started to appear at the same time are that it splutters when pulling away from standing or accelerating from a slow speed - almost as if it is running out of gas. Usually lifting off the gas and reapplying it a couple of times clears it - if you just keep your foot down it will splutter more and sometimes backfire until you pump the pedal to get it to clear. I've changed the front O2 sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor already - the O2 due to the code coming up and the TPS on advice for the spluttering. Both made a slight improvement but neither fixed it so I'm thinking timing chain now if that also causes running problems. Of course it could be something totally unrelated but thought I'd check with you first in case it's not just a coincidence they started around the same time. The truck is a fairly high miler at 320,000 miles (not KM - I'm in Canada but the truck came from Maine in the US) but runs great and has a really nice frame under it and the body is good for the age so I want to keep it going as long as I can. Thanks guys.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM
dak-jack

Vehicle: 2006 Dakota 4x4

With that many miles I'd replace the timing chains and tensioners which certainly have some elongation due to wear, this I'd do if an engine overhaul is not imminent.
Another way is to wait it out if you feel that the engine will need a complete overhaul in the near future, and change them with the overhaul.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 AM
97_Dakota

Vehicle: 97 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4

I know I am resurrecting an old thread but is it ok to use the upgraded tensioner with a double roller timing chain set like this one?

Amazon Amazon

I am at 140K and starting to hear some noise coming from the timing cover.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 AM
hskrRT
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Modifications: Lots 'O stuff
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
Don't use the tensioner if you are putting on a good double roller. In fact, most engine builders say not to use the tensioners. FWIW, only the 3.9L ever came from the factory with a tensioner. The V8s never had them.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 AM
Little Blue Guy
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

tensioner will not work with the double roller....only the stock chain.

I put the tensioner back on my 3.9....figure it will last far longer than i will

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: