5.2L/5.9L/6.7L Engines Questions regarding the 5.2L/5.9L/6.7L V8 Engines

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Falcongunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

5.2/5.9 cracked heads

What's up with the 5.2/5.9 magnum heads? I pulled my good running 5.2 for an overhaul after 250,000 miles and both heads were cracked between cylinders at the valve seats. OK, so that happens sometimes.

Started looking for used heads to recondition and every head that I have looked at from 1994-2000 model years are cracked. Machine shops around here say's good luck on finding ones that are not cracked and that about 75% of the ones that come through their shop are cracked. Sounds like it was a poor design by Chrysler or bad foundry casting on a large scale. Does anyone know if Chrysler made a design change or put out a service note on this problem? I am still tracking down non cracked heads and am sure I will eventually find some but this sure sucks big time.

Wayne in North Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Jamie Black R/T
EVILSONIC

cracked magnum heads are as common as ass cracks....

even if you find some without cracks they probably will crack on you with any abuse....

one way to fix it is to port em and put bigger valves in....but that isnt really a DIY at home kinda thing so i guess we are in the same boat as to where to go from here

sorry i couldnt really help

post #3 of Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Falcongunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T
cracked magnum heads are as common as ass cracks....

even if you find some without cracks they probably will crack on you with any abuse....

one way to fix it is to port em and put bigger valves in....but that isnt really a DIY at home kinda thing so i guess we are in the same boat as to where to go from here

sorry i couldnt really help
So are you saying that if I find a "good" head, that porting and larger valves will relieve the stress that is causing the cracks?

As I have recently found out with some early 351 heads the price of the headwork is almost as much as a set of new performance heads. I could buy the RT heads from Mopar but I wonder if they are crack prone as well? Anybody have a number at Chrysler that I could call to inquire about the cracks. Surely they were aware of this problem if so many are cracked.

Wayne from North Texas
post #4 of Old 03-03-2006, 11:54 PM
simplyinc
Simply Motorsports

buy a set of edelbrock aluminum heads you wont be sorry
http://www.socaldakota.com/performan...ine_heads.html

The RCC - Member #9

99 RAM 2500 SPORT CUMMINS 4x4 Quadcab
98 RC Flame Red 5.9~former 5.2~
((8.79@77mph 1.92 60ft 13.83@97 at US 41))
((8.50@78mph 1.72 60ft @ CCD))
post #5 of Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Falcongunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyinc
buy a set of edelbrock aluminum heads you wont be sorry
http://www.socaldakota.com/performan...ine_heads.html
I agree this would be the best way to go (I use similar heads on my small block fords) but its draws you down an expensive path of a better manifold, throttle body, exhaust, new chip or programmer, ect.. + the cost of the heads. Easy $3,000 by the time I bought every thing.

I liked the truck the way it had been for 250,000 miles and it just pisses me off that Chrysler would have continued to build inferior heads. In the last few months of this rebuild (Transmission & Engine) I also have been amazed at how much the parts cost compared with the Ford and Chevy's that make up most of my hobby activity. Everything seems to be at least twice as much and sometimes more. I like the truck a lot and have driven it hard but the cost of this rebuild has just gotten way out of what I normally would spend on a project.

Just ranting a bit and I guess the heads did last a quarter of a million miles! I have located some more used ones but haven't inspected them yet. Maybe the thirteenth time is the charm!

Wayne from North Texas
post #6 of Old 03-04-2006, 05:16 AM
00 SLT T/A

Thumbs up

Summit Racing carries a set of Mopar performance Magnum R/T iron heads that out flow the factory Magnum heads for $851.90.

They are bare castings and accept all magnum valvetrain components and manifolds.

Could be cheaper than rebuilding a set of heads that will fail like the others.

Might be worth a shot.
post #7 of Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 AM
ScojoDak
Dakota for Life!

Try these ebay heads. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Now, I along with others haven't heard of the "heavy duty castings" before. But one thing is sure. The casting numbers they quote have valve seats that dont crack. Something about the heat treat process. I just bought a set of used heads (45,000 miles on them) with those casting numbers and they're free from cracks. I would have bought those ebay heads myself, but I bought the used ones to rebuild before I saw the sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...40697029QQrdZ1

Dakota for Life!

If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

post #8 of Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Falcongunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScojoDak
Try these ebay heads. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Now, I along with others haven't heard of the "heavy duty castings" before. But one thing is sure. The casting numbers they quote have valve seats that dont crack. Something about the heat treat process. I just bought a set of used heads (45,000 miles on them) with those casting numbers and they're free from cracks. I would have bought those ebay heads myself, but I bought the used ones to rebuild before I saw the sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...29QQrdZ1<br />
I bought a set of these aftermarket heads (they are new heads with reconditioned valvetrain) and I will post some info after I get them installed. Still never found un-cracked heads around here in the Dallas Fort Worth area and there are literally 100's of salvage yards around. I am actually astounded by this situation but I guess live and learn.

Wayne from North Texas
post #9 of Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Falcongunner

Just an update to those that were curious about the "new" replacement Dodge magnum heads.

After some time putting everything back together the truck is running fine. I could see no visual difference between the original heads and the new ones. I have about 500 miles on the new .30 over 5.2, with a Competition Cams 20-744-9 camshaft, edlebrock headers and Mopar Performance internal parts. I suppose that it's a bit early to judge the heads but they looked identical and are working well so far.

As a side note I did notice that a New Zealand company was making bare casting Dodge Magnum heads (part# 2C2-360-HPST Chrysler 360/318 Magnum 92-98 Cast Iron). I am assuming that these are the heads that I purchased. The company was known as Pro Topline but was recently bought out by another company known as Southern Performance. The USA distributor seems to be Racing Head Service in Memphis, TN although they do not list the heads on their website. In any event I am just glad to get the truck back on the road and would tentatively recommend the replacement heads if you cannot find a good used set to rebuild.

Wayne from North Texas
post #10 of Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Jamie Black R/T
EVILSONIC

thanks for the update.....this is the route i will be taking soon as well :biggthump

post #11 of Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 AM
lilRed318

take a look at http://www.hughesengines.com/ they have setup of the "heavy Duty" mag heads that they say with a little work outflow the Edelbrock alumi heads and don't cost at much either..... just thought I would toss this out for everyone. :biggthump
post #12 of Old 04-11-2006, 03:02 AM
ScatDak
Dakota Pimp Elite

Sure they will outflow the eddy head but they are ported to the max also. Now take the Eddy head and port it I guarranty that the Eddy head will outflow the HD head by miles. Also the Eddy Head allows you to run more compression and retain less heat within the cylinder head which is why the Magnum heads crack between the seats. When its time to rebuild my 1999 5.2 Im going with the Eddy head even though its not CA Smog legal.
post #13 of Old 04-11-2006, 05:23 AM
ScojoDak
Dakota for Life!

Falcongunner, thanks for the update

Dakota for Life!

If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

post #14 of Old 04-11-2006, 03:31 PM
lilRed318

I'm just sayen ... I'll end up going with the Heavy duty heads ... just cause I can't bring myself to spend that much on just the heads .... but then i'm going to be on a VERY tight limit when it comes time for the 408.
post #15 of Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 PM
FuryUs

If a time is going to come for you to get a 408, go straight for the Eddys. Yeah, I know you'll save yourself a few hundred bucks now, but it'll be worth it now and later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: