99 Durango will not stay running. - Dakota Durango Forum
Maintenance Forums Keep your truck looking and running its best with this advice.

post #1 of 17 Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
99durango2007

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2
Modifications: Flowmaster 40 Delta, Airaid CAI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

99 Durango will not stay running.

Hey all. I have a 99 Durango 5.2 with 131xxx miles. Anyways I just tried to start it up today, turns over, and shuts off. it can stay running when I give it gas, it just won't stay running. I figure its something in the fuel delivery area, and my dad thinks its the fuel filter. I'll agree with him as he knows more about cars than I do. Anyways, all help is appreciated. Always had good success with this site, and am hoping for more. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Big_Texxan
American Rebel.

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
Modifications: Some shit that makes it go fast, like really fucking fast
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Garage
try the throttle postition sensor, also the fuel system would be plausable, but it wouldnt give fuel pressure then cut it off. Could be the fuel filter....has it been changed since yo got the truck

MANY MANY MODS!!!!!!!
Im from Texas!
Im still right!
Vehicles:
2001 Dakota Quad SLT 4.7. The "Murdered Mopar"
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650. Custom Rebuild.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 AM
emjohn4

Vehicle: '02 Dak 3.9 / '02 Dur 4.7

If it runs when you give it gas, but not without - I'd start by cleaning (or likely replacing) the AIC.

On my 3.9, it did exactly the same. Turned over, started, died. Repeat. But, if I gave it ever so slightly a bit of gas, it would run fine.

~$35 later from AutoZone, I had a new AIC; and no more issues.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
99durango2007

@Big_Texxan - For the 4 years, and almost 50k I have put it on it, no, the filter has not been changed.
@emjohn4 - Do you mean the IAC? I can check that, but the TPS, well, going off my Haynes book, I don't have a voltage reader to check that. I will try that IAC, then report back with what happens. If you would like a video to give a better idea of what it is doing, I can do that also.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 AM
emjohn4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99durango2007 View Post
@Big_Texxan - For the 4 years, and almost 50k I have put it on it, no, the filter has not been changed.
@emjohn4 - Do you mean the IAC? I can check that, but the TPS, well, going off my Haynes book, I don't have a voltage reader to check that. I will try that IAC, then report back with what happens. If you would like a video to give a better idea of what it is doing, I can do that also.
Yup. IAC = Idle Air Control; sorry, my fingers move at a difference pace than my mind does sometimes.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
99durango2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjohn4 View Post
Yup. IAC = Idle Air Control; sorry, my fingers move at a difference pace than my mind does sometimes.
HA, no worries. Found it, cleaned it as best I could. Started up fine, of course after sitting for maybe 2 and a half hours, gave it gas, up to 2k rpm, let off, it died.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 AM
emjohn4

Quote:
HA, no worries. Found it, cleaned it as best I could. Started up fine, of course after sitting for maybe 2 and a half hours, gave it gas, up to 2k rpm, let off, it died.
Sounds like it went bad to me, then. Mine was the same...one day, fine, next; won't idle at all. It would always fire right back up, and die.

You could also check your fuel pressure; but I don't think that would be the cause; since it cranks and fires up fine.

If you have an extra vehicle, the IAC is pretty cheap at Rockauto; but if you need one now; they are still pretty affordable at autozone/checkers/ etc.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 AM
trevorcrook88

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport

Garage
My 99 Dakota 5.2 was doing the same exact thing earlier tonight. I would start in and hold the throttle at about 1000 rpm's putting it up to 3000 every now and then. It was sounding like I wasn't getting any sound out of the exhaust either. I did that for about 30 minutes and right when I was about to give up, I let my foot off the gas and my exhaust sound went back to normal and it stay running. I let it run a while and I haven't tried starting it again, but I'm hoping it was just something to do with the sudden cold weather and the fact that I hadn't started it for about 3 days. hope this helps.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
99durango2007

IAC was the culprit. Replaced it and everything runs fine now. Infact, it almost seems like its sucking in more air now. My CAI was pretty loud after the replacement haha. Thanks for the help emjohn. I'm glad it wasn't something more serious.

post #10 of 17 Old 11-20-2011, 12:19 AM
ucimaplaya2

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T

Send a message via AIM to ucimaplaya2
Glad you got it figured out. I don't know if durangos from that period were different, but dakota's didn't have a replaceable fuel filter. Just the sock filter in the tank. So for future reference of other people finding this thread just remember that.

Normal causes for starting and running while giving it some throttle are a dirty IAC like in this case and sometimes just a loose battery terminal or ground cable (has enough power to crank over but not a stable enough voltage for the PCM to stay "happy."

John
When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense. (Ironically this motto had nothing to do with this)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ucimaplaya2
post #11 of 17 Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 AM
emjohn4

Quote:
IAC was the culprit. Replaced it and everything runs fine now. Infact, it almost seems like its sucking in more air now. My CAI was pretty loud after the replacement haha. Thanks for the help emjohn. I'm glad it wasn't something more serious.
Anytime!

Easy fixes are the best, aren't they?
post #12 of 17 Old 11-24-2011, 07:29 PM
dadditruck

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT+ P
Modifications: Fastman T.B., MPPCM ,CAI, Detroit in the back

No fuel filters on the Durango either, just the "sock" attached to the pump.

1998 Dodge Durango SLT+
MP PCM/R/T Heads/M-1
5.9L PT 4X4
3.92's with Detroit in rear
post #13 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 PM
mizzlilfootz

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Durango v8 5.9l

I have a 99 Durango that starts up but stalls just completely dies&don't start right back up. I've replaced harmonic balancer, water pump, coil, battery, vacuum plugs, relay switch, iac, that's all I can remember right now
post #14 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

I assume that's stuff you've replaced as a result of other issues, right?

Have you pulled codes? The self-diagnosis key trick won't work on a 99 so you have to use an actual code reader. Is the CEL on?

At first sniff I'd say it's the camshaft position sensor. That's the plate under the distributor cap with a 3 pin connector. They have been a source of random-stall-no-restart problems on Dodges since the 80's. Unfortunately it is usually not a problem that throws a code either.. But if it does it will be a P0340 and/or P0341.

If you don't know the history of the vehicle, assume it has never been replaced and replace it anyway.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
post #15 of 17 Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 AM
mizzlilfootz

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Durango v8 5.9l

Well out harmonic balancer was busted which is why that was replaced while replacing that we seen pump was bad so replaced that than once that was done battery died for umpteenth time so replaced that. Than while my dad looked it over he said coil was bad so he fixed that. Than or cat was making noises coming from relays so we replaced fuel line relay or something with fuel. Than the vacuum hose cap was cracked almost in half barely on so we replaced that too. Than I was reading over alot of forums with same problem who said same problem after spending thousands was just iac so we did that next. Before it started stalling dien it wouldn't get up&go when pushing gas pedal. After about week started dien. Than under the car makes some wierd noise. I have a few recordings one video of what's happening n but no clue how to post it on here lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: