1999 Dodge Dakota Sport Problems ! - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Maintenance Forums Keep your truck looking and running its best with this advice.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport
1999 Dodge Dakota Sport Problems !

Hello there i am a first time owner of a 1999 dodge Dakota sport, i just got it yesterday , but im haveing some minor issues with it , and im wondering if anyone may know and be able to help me out with the issues im haveing,

I have 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 318 v8 Auto Fully loaded (2933064 klm)

First : what years of parts fit my dakota ? is it 1997 to 1999 or ?

Second : everytime i turn my Dakota off the Trip Resets to 0.0, everytime i turn it off , it seems its not holding its memory for some reason ?

Third : My cab lights dont work , but the bulbs are good.

Fourth : My High beam light does not come on when i turn on my high beams

Fifth : my 4x4 light doesnt come on , but he 4x4 works fine,

Now all these things started happening today, after i took the Aftermarket deck that the previous owner put in, i took it out, i can say he did butcher the wireing a bit, But i only took the deck out , i did not cut any wires or anything,

the previous owner had a Bunch of wires just cut and sitting there not tapped up or anything , i tapped them all up properly, but now im haveing these minor issues, ,

The truck use to have a Full Stock Infinity system in it by the looks of it, The doors say infinity on them and there is an amp on the bottom right , by the passengers foot,

Im wondering if anyone may have any ideas what i will have to do to fix these things ? or do i have to just straight up go under the dash and chase wires ?? ??

Thanks hope to hear from you soon

or are these normal things that happen ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Sport CC 4x4
You might have a bad ground. Check under the dash, just by the parking brake. That's a common ground for the overhead lights and some of the instrument cluster items, like the high beam indicator.

Have you checked all the fuses as well? Which trip indicator resets to 0? The console or the one on the dash? If the dash, suspect a burnt fuse.

The year for the parts depends on what you need. The interiors are fairly similar up until 2000. 2001 changed.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 PM

hey yea i went chasing wires found a few ones that where cut , spliced just some dumb sheet like that , Some kid had the truck before me , so he butchered the wireing harness for where the deck goes , ...... he should never have touched anything lol he had no idea what he was doing, But anyhow , i got everything going again , with some fixed wires,,,,,,

BUT i still cant get my 4x4 light on , im wondering if the bulb is burnt in the Cluster, lol i found a few burnt fuses i replaced them , so everything getting alot better lol

Thanks for the help i did find a bad ground under the hood, i fixed that too lol

Oh i see it depends on the year , well just door panels and a hood and grill and such,

Yes the trip is on the bottom left of my Cluster , the trip still says the truck has 293000, it changes and stays the same But the other trip to tell me how many klms i got to this tank of gas Resets to Zero by its self , Everytime i shut if off, Not sure whats making that reset ? ? fuses are all good
Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 PM

If you pull the console down, and check for power, I think you'll find it isn't getting a constant "hot" feed. That's why your DTE isn't remembering the mileage. Pin #1, the pink lead, should have a constant 12v.

Most of the external body parts should be from about '97 to '04. The hoods for example.

Inside body parts, there were some changes every year. Most up to about '00 should fit, but might not match exactly.

There were interior changes in '01. Some major electrical changes occurred in '01 as well, plus the transfer case went electronic.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 AM

Right on thanks , that will help me out big time , i will check under the dash for that tomorrow !

lol my Check engine light came on tonight WONDERFUL ,, haha , Its probably just mt O2 senser , Im going to buy a code reader our dodges , I have a Dakota and my father Has a Dodge cummins

Any suggestions on a code reader ? or does it really matter ?

Im going to try re-seting my computer tomorrow by un-hooking the positive wire on my battery for 15 minutes

Thanks for the help !
Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 PM

It shouldn't matter on the code reader. Sometimes you can get a 99 to display the codes, but not always.

You can try key on - off - on, three times leaving it on. Maybe you'll get lucky
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 

Vehicle: 2 of em.
Reputation: 395 jmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to behold
In the fuse box there will be 2 fuses covered by black locking tabs. It will be one of those fuses.

Probably blown by that mess of wires.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM

well i got the engine light off, all i did was disconnect the Battery for 15 minutes its good , But the Air bag light is still on so , tomorrow im going to check my Fuses thats are in the Yellow covers, there suppose to be the air bag fuses,

Probably is blown lol cuz of the mess of wires !

Thanks for all the help guys !
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 AM
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 

Vehicle: 2 of em.
Reputation: 395 jmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to behold
Uhhhhh.

It more than likely will be one under the BLACK locking tabs. It will not be the yellow one.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:37 AM

there is only 1 black locking tab in mine , and it is for the lights and such in my truck, i already replaced it , the only only other locking tabs in mine are 2 Yellow ones and they are labeled as being for the air bag
Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 PM

. Full tank of fuel 89 Octane.V8 5.9 The truck attempted to stall. Moving to a stop but dusint.than green light go's cops sitting at light and She rand omly bogged down so i think little more gas like 1/8 inch on the throttle and than kinda like it try'ed to fix itself and roared ahead and so latter down the road i put it in neutal cause it was pulling me down the road Way to hard it stayed high for a sac than slowy kinda three sac's droped to 600 Rpm( STart Rpm is 1800 idle for....one mintie than it kinda rumbles than moves down to 1450 Rpm in around two three minites than runns fine wan thrle ttuck is hot. Still driving it seemed like it lurched with the accelleration. Then further down the road it attempted to stall so i did a walk around with the truck and look to see if ANY thing worry.nothing i could see so i tryed to get it home and it just did the same thing onbthe way home...think it could be the fuel fitter pump....put the pump its in the tank....with the fuel fitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: