How to remove distributor / oil pump drive gear on a Magnum or LA - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FAQ's, Tips & Tricks Helpful technical information.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:31 AM
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s

Vehicle: 93 CC 2wd
Garage
How to remove distributor / oil pump drive gear on a Magnum / LA and Sync distributor

I put the darn thing in, but decided I wanted to take it out to check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge as I primed it before I tried to start the engine. I could not figure out how to get it back out. Here is what I ended up doing and it worked very well multiple times (had to sync the distributor).

Take a strong, thin wire and work it down under the gear. I find it easiest to stand on the passenger side and work it into the driver side of the gear. Once you get it under there, with a large screwdriver in the slot of the drive shaft, work the gear back and forth as you pull up on the wire. You may need to wrap the wire around something to let you pull harder. Use the screwdriver to give a little counter-pressure so the gear doesn't come flying out.

Also since this is a new engine, I had to sync the distributor.
To do this, bring #1 cylinder to exactly Top Dead Center on compression (pull #1 spark plug and turn the engine over clockwise with your finger over the hole, if air is blowing out, you are on compression, stop turning the engine over once you get to 0 on the timing indicator).

Take your distributor hold down and note the tab in the center that fits into the slot on the distributor. This limits the amount of rotational adjustment the distributor has. This will give you a good idea of where your distributor will need to sit.
With the distributor in this orientation make a note of the direction of the distributor drive blade when you line the rotor up with the No. 1 Cyl mark. This is where the gear will have to end up.

Slide the gear into the bushing and engage the oil pump drive shaft into the oil pump by rotating it back and forth a bit. Now advance the gear clockwise about 45deg and engage the gears.

Test fit the distributor. Line the drive into the slot and rotate the housing so the rotor points to the No. 1 Cyl mark exactly. If you can do this with the distributor hold down in place then you are good. Tighten it up. If not, you need to pull the gear back out and move it the proper direction. The rotor should be pointing to the front passenger side of the engine.
20" Chrome Ram Wheels
'04 Bright Silver Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi

Blue '93 CC Dak MS3XEFI 408 R3 Indy Heads Twin Turbos
My fQuick (Mods)
R3 Twin Turbo Build
MS3EFI
Link to current pic
513-Motorsports-LLC

Last edited by Blue93Dakota; 10-22-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Sync info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2002 dakota r/t cc
Good write up..but add..
Use a marker or something to note the EXACT position it went in..Off by one tooth and the timing will be off..
Then there are the people who put it in 180 off..thats fun to troubleshoot when they dont tell you they had the distributor out..lol
Old 10-22-2011, 01:27 AM
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s

Vehicle: 93 CC 2wd
Garage
I can do one better. I am building an engine from the ground up so there was no mark. That's why I needed to be able to pull it back up (multiple times) by trial and error to get it right. I will edit the original post or I could make a separate one.
20" Chrome Ram Wheels
'04 Bright Silver Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi

Blue '93 CC Dak MS3XEFI 408 R3 Indy Heads Twin Turbos
My fQuick (Mods)
R3 Twin Turbo Build
MS3EFI
Link to current pic
513-Motorsports-LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: