03 Durango SXT 4.7 - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Durango SXT
03 Durango SXT 4.7

My Durango is acting crazy....on startup it will idle at like 2000 RPM's, and after it drops down, it will still idle erratically between 700 and 1800 RPM's. While driving, it bucks and sometimes feels like it doesnt want to shift gear. The bucking isnt all the time, but its a lot of the time. when it does it on the highway, it will sometimes cut out and die at highway speeds. The CEL isn't on all the time, but it seems to run worse when the light is off. When the light comes on, its a little better. I haven't changed the o2's yet, but was wondering if they would cause this problem. My wife drives it most of the time with my kids in it, so I need this problem to go away....any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes it's a lowered 4X4

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota CC Sport
Send a message via MSN to Anthony
IAC might need replacing. But first, give the IAC sensor a cleaning which is the black sensor located on the throttle body.

EDIT: The TPS sensor could also be the problem too, which is located on top of the IAC sensor

Last edited by Anthony; 09-24-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 durango
CEL is on ? what are the codes...
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 AM

Not sure of the codes yet, i bought a code reader today. The CEL is on sometimes, then it goes off, and thats when the truck is running real bad, once the CEL is off. Then it will stall a few times on the highway and it has to sit for a minute before it can be restarted, most of the time the CEL comes on after i restart it and it will run a little better, but you can still tell something is wrong.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
5 Door Whore #215

Vehicle: 01 Durango, 02 dakota r/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmcclafferty View Post
Not sure of the codes yet, i bought a code reader today. The CEL is on sometimes, then it goes off, and thats when the truck is running real bad, once the CEL is off. Then it will stall a few times on the highway and it has to sit for a minute before it can be restarted, most of the time the CEL comes on after i restart it and it will run a little better, but you can still tell something is wrong.
you dont need a code reader to check codes just turn the key on and off
5 Door Whore #215
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM
5 Door Whore #215

Vehicle: 01 Durango, 02 dakota r/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmcclafferty View Post
you dont need a code reader to check codes just turn the key on and off
5 Door Whore #215
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
The first thing I would do is clean the battery terminals. Dodges do wierd things with low or high voltage. Then, I would clean the inside of the throttle body. Check the codes, write them down, then clear the codes and drive it and see if any come back, before spending money on any sensors.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 AM

I've already cleaned the throttle body, changed the IAC Valve, and the TPS.....I pulled the codes and they are P121 and P068. This thing is driving me crazy.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 AM

Ok, so after a quick search on the forum, and through Google. 121 is the TPS, and 068 is MAF reading not consistent with TPS......whatever that means. maybe i'll replace the TPS again, and if that doesnt help, i'll look for the MAF, does this truck have a MAF? My 95 Thunderbird has a MAF Sensor near the air box, what is the sensor on this truck that is inside the airbox?

Last edited by rpmcclafferty; 09-30-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Reputation: 175 TazRango is a name known to allTazRango is a name known to all
Our trucks use a MAP, not MAF. It's on the front of the intake manifold

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
The sensor you're seeing in the airhat is the IAT (intake air temp) sensor. 5/8" round-ish, two wires.

Are you sure the TB is clean? It's easy to miss junk that has collected in the IAC ports.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 AM

So for 6 months I have have changed almost everything I can possibly think of, cleaned the hell out of the throttle body, changed fluids, added additives and I can not figure out why my truck is acting so flaky. Its not as bad as it was, but the truck stalls or comes near to stalling every time I come to a stop, then stutters when I pull out, after that it runs fine....if it doesn't stall it will idle irratically and sputter, but I give it some gas and its fine...can anyone offer any insight on this problem? Its driving me nuts....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: