Intermittent Loss Of Power? - Dakota Durango Forum
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

post #1 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
devinpitcher

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Intermittent Loss Of Power?

Ok, so I have this weird problem. My truck has an intermittent 'stumble' or 'hiccup'. I have had an issue since day one of my ownership of this truck, so let me start from the beginning.

Few days after I got it (January), on a cold morning, on my way to school the truck would try to die. It just so happened to be at the same spot most of the time, but it could have been coincidence. Theres a slight hill with a stop up top. (When I say slight, I mean barely a hill. Maybe an inch or two incline and another inch or two decline.) After that stop, when I would give it gas to get going, as soon as I got a few feet away, the truck started to die out. At first I thought the trans was slipping, but then realized the RPMs were dropping. It would sputter and almost reach a dying point, but after I let it run a few minutes, it just, stopped. It went right back to normal, and I would continue to drive without any other problems.

A few months later, when I tried to repair my transmission leak (which turned out to be a cracked transmission case) I lost reverse, so I had the whole thing rebuilt. After I got it back, I noticed the shuddering. (It never went away, but I just noticed it again.)

Now that the weather warmed up, I thought maybe it would go away since maybe it was caused by the cold. Well, it still does it. In the morning, it seems to have longer than normal starts. I don't like to hold the starter for any more than 3 seconds at a time, so sometimes it takes me a good 2 or 3 tries. In fact, one night after leaving my dads house, it wouldn't start. I let it crank 4 or 5 times, and on the last I let it go for 10 seconds before it fired up. It hasn't done that ever since, but I still feel they're longer than they should be.

Another time I experience the issue is driving down the freeway at 70 mph, the truck feels like it misses or momentarily loses power, almost like the transmission lost gear and reengaged, but it isn't the transmission. It would usually happen a few times within a 10 second window, and then just stop. It seemed if I gave it more gas as it was happening it does it more.

At this point I don't know if the fuel pump is going, the fuel filter is clogged (200k on it I'm sure) or if the crankshaft position sensor is going out. I need to get the fuel pressures, which I am trying to find a place that will do it cheap. I just wanted to see if anybody else could chime in and give me some advice? Thanks!

1998 Dodge Durango SLT - 5.2L (318) Magnum V8 - Performance Rebuilt 44RE - 4x4 NV231
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
devinpitcher

Well, doing some research, I found rgeneral01 on YouTube and he has an issue which appears to be just like mine. Turns out it was his CPS. Ugh, thats pretty expensive.

1998 Dodge Durango SLT - 5.2L (318) Magnum V8 - Performance Rebuilt 44RE - 4x4 NV231
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 AM
rgeneral01

Vehicle: 99 Dakota 4x4 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinpitcher View Post
Well, doing some research, I found rgeneral01 on YouTube and he has an issue which appears to be just like mine. Turns out it was his CPS. Ugh, thats pretty expensive.
It sounds like it could be the problem, but I don't want to say for sure. When they took mine out it was all chewed up from the flywheel. You can access it behind the plastic panel inside the passenger fender behind the tire. Take it out and look at it. I believe it was 200 to replace the sensor. I also had the plenum gasket replaced which was another 600 dollars, but wasn't the problem.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 AM
rgeneral01

I thought my fuel pump was bad, but it ended up being fine. Don't go replacing it first, you will regret spending that kind of cash!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
devinpitcher

Yeah, I'm going to pull it this weekend and see. Yeah, I have a blown plenum too. What a bummer. Hopefully it IS the sensor, because I'd much rather replace that instead of dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:52 AM
rgeneral01

You can rent a fuel pressure tester from autozone for free, just give a deposit of like 80 dollars until you return it. It is simple to check. I have a youtube video of mine also. It looked bad, but after replacing the crankshaft pos sensor the truck ran like new.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
devinpitcher

Yeah, I might do that too. I tried Advance Auto and they only sell one, not rent. I'll try AutoZone instead. I'll rent it this weekend and check that and the sensor all at the same time.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
devinpitcher

Changed the CPS. So far no stumble. Heres the old one. I assume this isn't normal?

post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 05:24 AM
Tonkadodge

Was it the CPS? I have the same problem u mention. 2004 v8 4x4.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
devinpitcher

You're lucky I still get email notifications for these threads lol. That was 3 years ago and the Durango is long gone haha. But yes, it did fix the issue.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Tonkadodge

Good to know. Thanks for the reply.
Everybody needs a little luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: