Truck won't go into gear - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: dodge dakota 1998 3.9l v6
Truck won't go into gear

Back on the troubleshooting forum again.
I have a 1998 dodge dakota v6 3.9l with more than a quatermillion miles on it.
Never had problemns with my dakota until last 25k miles. I'm at about 227kmiles.

So my truck started up fine, i went about half mile down the road and was realzing it was near impossible to shift into gear.
So i thought i'm in real trouble.
I get a red light and put the truck in N. As light turns green i go to engage first gear.. won't happen. won't budge, i mean the stick would break before it even got close. perfect timing for the great economy ha. i even tried shifting with out use of the clutch. you know ramming tho rpms to 3.5 or 4. still won't go in. so i shut the truck off. put it in first and start it. well it goes in gear but made the most horrible grinding and cluncking sound. Iv had to do this about three times now. So i have no idea whats wrong. the clutch? master cylinder? slave cylinder? transmission...
i'm thinking it may be the tranny as its leaking everywhere... don't want to fix seals becasue itll cost more to fix seals than to buy a new tranny. also the tranny mount is all messed up. No more rubber sepearting the tranny from tranny mount. any input is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 AM

clutch spind down time
start it in netural and wait a few secs... try and put it in reverse if it grinds.. which it does i think that indicates bad pressure plate or clutch disc.

clutch mounting bracket may be cracked allowing flex thus allowing the clutch to only engage half way.
to dark outside to deal with that right now tho
Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 AM

what mounts? sorry i don't have the best technical vocab i'm a ranch hand n just fuck with shit till it works. i just drove it everythings fine...for now. no i didnt mean that it will only go to reverse sorry. i ment the below...
i was testing the clutch spin down time... and if it grinds when tying to put it in reverse it indicates bad pressure plate or clutch disc.and it was grinding when ttrying to go into reverse eailer.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 AM

or the clutch mountring bracket, now that i remeber my clutch pedal was squeaking indicationg the brackets gone bad. giving flex. n all that
Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 AM
My horns hold up my halo!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota.
Reputation: 164 The1TheyCallWah is a name known to allThe1TheyCallWah is a name known to all
might be your slave cylinder..... not building pressure to disengage your clutch, just put one in my truck....... if not sinkros in the tranny are not lineing up or the shift forks are bent.
2003 Dakota 4.7, 5 speed manual trans, 4x4, K&N 77 Series CAI, H.O. Cam's, 3" body lift, 16" black Cragar soft 8's, 2.5% window tint all around, chopped exhaust with turn down, weather guard tool box, rhino lined box..
Regular Cab Crew #143
D.O.G. #44
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM

slave cylinder sounds like it cause its hard to engage gears, clutch aint releasing completly, what are sinkros?
thank you for you thoughts starting to peice this shit together.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM

worn synchros means new tranny huh, sorry just got what you ment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: