I got my Durango without any key fobs.
It's an 01 SLT Plus so I assume being fully loaded, it must have had keyless built into it.....
I bought two fobs off a member here with an 01 R/T.
Now I got these instructions on how to program a key fob if you already have a working one.. but this is what I don't get - What difference does it make if one is present or not??? You put the key fob into programing mode, and let the truck do the dirty work with the new fob - you don't even touch the second fob (your orig. if you had one)
So why won't this seatup work with my truck???
If you have an active fob you can program it like this...
*quoted from the 2001 SLT Owners Manual*
Programming Additional Transmitters
Vehicles will be shipped from the assembly plants with two key fob transmitters programmed only for that vehicle. A total of four fobs can be programmed for your vehicle. Additional fobs can be programmed to your vehicle through the use of a currently programmed fob.
NOTE: When entering program mode useing that fob, all other programmed fobs will be erased and you will have to reprogram them for your vehicle.
Use the following procedure to program additional key fobs.
1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.
2. Fasten your seat belt(Fastening the seatbelt will cancel any chiming that may confuse you during this programming procedure).
3. Place the key into the ignition
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position (Do not start the engine)
5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the key fob.
6. After holding the UNLOCK button for four seconds, also press the PANIC button within 6 seconds.
7. Release both buttons and a single chim will be heard. The chime is an indication that you have successfully entered program mode. All fobs that are to be programmed must be done so within 30 seconds of when the chime is heard.
8 Using the fob to be programmed, press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously.
9. A single chime will be heard.
10. Within four seconds of hearing the chime, press and release either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the fob.
11. Repeat steps 8 threw 10 to program up to two additional fobs.
12. Your vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 30 seconds from when the original chime was heard. After 30 seconds, all programmed fobs function normally.
NOTE: If you do not have a programmed transmitter contact your dealership for details.
This info was pulled off of page 18 from my owners manual. Also the dealership charges 100 dollers for a FOB, and 40 dollers to program them.