Programing a key fob (when none are present) - Dakota Durango Forum
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
PDR1878
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Programing a key fob (when none are present)

I got my Durango without any key fobs.

It's an 01 SLT Plus so I assume being fully loaded, it must have had keyless built into it.....

I bought two fobs off a member here with an 01 R/T.

Now I got these instructions on how to program a key fob if you already have a working one.. but this is what I don't get - What difference does it make if one is present or not??? You put the key fob into programing mode, and let the truck do the dirty work with the new fob - you don't even touch the second fob (your orig. if you had one)

So why won't this seatup work with my truck???

Quote:
If you have an active fob you can program it like this...

*quoted from the 2001 SLT Owners Manual*

Programming Additional Transmitters
Vehicles will be shipped from the assembly plants with two key fob transmitters programmed only for that vehicle. A total of four fobs can be programmed for your vehicle. Additional fobs can be programmed to your vehicle through the use of a currently programmed fob.

NOTE: When entering program mode useing that fob, all other programmed fobs will be erased and you will have to reprogram them for your vehicle.

Use the following procedure to program additional key fobs.

1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.

2. Fasten your seat belt(Fastening the seatbelt will cancel any chiming that may confuse you during this programming procedure).

3. Place the key into the ignition

4. Turn the ignition to the ON position (Do not start the engine)

5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the key fob.

6. After holding the UNLOCK button for four seconds, also press the PANIC button within 6 seconds.

7. Release both buttons and a single chim will be heard. The chime is an indication that you have successfully entered program mode. All fobs that are to be programmed must be done so within 30 seconds of when the chime is heard.

8 Using the fob to be programmed, press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously.

9. A single chime will be heard.

10. Within four seconds of hearing the chime, press and release either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the fob.

11. Repeat steps 8 threw 10 to program up to two additional fobs.

12. Your vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 30 seconds from when the original chime was heard. After 30 seconds, all programmed fobs function normally.

NOTE: If you do not have a programmed transmitter contact your dealership for details.

This info was pulled off of page 18 from my owners manual. Also the dealership charges 100 dollers for a FOB, and 40 dollers to program them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
kennygene

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport
Modifications: exhaust

Garage
I can't remember but I know with only 1 fob, I had to take my wife's truck to the dealer.

2001 Dakota Sport 4x4 4.7 5 spd
2004 Ram SRT 10 RC 6spd 2010 Mopar Nationals 1st Place Viper Truck
2003 Dakota Quad 4x4 5 spd

post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

The truck sends a command to both fobs "copy A to B". The security data is cloned off the other fob, it doesn't come from the truck's computer. This prevents unauthorized copies from being made.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
rrob5382

Vehicle: 98 Durango SLT 5.2L 4x4
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Steps 5 thru 7 are with the original key fob so you do need it to do it yourself.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
PDR1878
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT

oh okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: