Engine noise on startup goes away after a few seconds... HELP! - Dakota Durango Forum
4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

post #1 of 32 Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
greendurango

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Engine noise on startup goes away after a few seconds... HELP!

Hello Everyone!

I have got a noise on Startup that last for a few seconds on my 2001 Durango 4x4 w/ 4.7 engine, at first I thought it was my exhaust manifolds leaking or making a noise, well I replaced both exhaust manifolds and put new Remflex gaskets on, I took off the belt to see if the noise went away, to eliminate the water pump, pulleys, fan, etc, the noise was still there So, I am back to the drawing board I have swiched oil filters, I was using Mopar filters, then I went to the Napa Gold Filter still no change in the noise it all I was running Mobil 1 5w30, then switched to Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 still no change, I downloaded a sound clip for you all to hear, ==== Thanks for your help!============

http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/v...0709130337.mp4

Gotta have it!!

2001 DODGE DAKOTA QUAD 4.7 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
caulk04
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none

Are you talking a loud clatter for a brief second at start up? Almost sounds like timing chain noise to me...but I don't know why it would go away so quickly. Maybe a tensioner is bleeding down? I really don't know...
post #3 of 32 Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
greendurango

Thanks, yeah its driving me crazy trying to figure out what it is, so timing chains tensioners can make the same noise? its drives fine and all, just wish I knew what it was!

Gotta have it!!

post #4 of 32 Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
greendurango

would changing the oil to 10w30 get rid of the noise?

Gotta have it!!

post #5 of 32 Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 PM
01dodgedakota

Vehicle: 01 dakota

doubt it would but you can try
post #6 of 32 Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
greendurango

I tryed switching to the 10w30 it did not help, I am beginning to think its in the filters anti-drainback valve, I use the Napa gold any one else have this problem? thanx

Gotta have it!!

post #7 of 32 Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Josh_101

Vehicle: 04 Dakota QC 4x4 SLT

The audio is so compressed I can't pick out any weird sounds excepts a couple faint knocks on start up. Is that what you're talking about is the knocking noise? I don't see how a new oil filter can make an engine noisy, its gotta be an internal problem.

2013 Mustang 3.7 v6. Stock for now.

2004 Dakota CQ 4x4 4.7 *SOLD*
post #8 of 32 Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
greendurango

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
The audio is so compressed I can't pick out any weird sounds excepts a couple faint knocks on start up. Is that what you're talking about is the knocking noise? I don't see how a new oil filter can make an engine noisy, its gotta be an internal problem.
I just recorded a better sounding clip, check it out: http://www.zshare.net/audio/92725240b36def80/

Gotta have it!!

post #9 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
greendurango

Bump!

Gotta have it!!

post #10 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Jimmy_D

Vehicle: 01 Black QC 2WD
Modifications: Lowered,20's,Billet grill,Nitrous

Lifter clatter at start up then oil gets to them and quiets down.

01 QC 4.7L-Superchips,4.10's,e-fan,bbk 70mm tb,CAI,magnaflow w/3in stainless side exit exhaust no cats,100shot,20x10's, 2/3 drop,Billet grille+bumper inserts,cadence 10's,autotek 1000watt amp,Alpine cdplayer,Painted Stuff
68 Chevy Truck -355,lime green tire burner
post #11 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
WestCoastKevin

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SLT+ 4.7L V8
Modifications: HO Cams, Superchips, 5-45rfe TCM mod.

Bad muffler bearings.

Member of the engine rebuild club, HO Cams, 68mm TB by Dwight, SuperChips, Bilstein shocks, 5-45rfe Jeep TCM mod. ... and I clean the windows pretty often.
post #12 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

The 4.7 is OHC.. It doesn't have lifters.. It has hydraulic lash adjusters.. But that sounds like what it is. My truck had a similar noise, which went away after I flushed the engine.

I forget where I saw the recipe, but I've used it (about 30,000 miles ago) and this stuff works like industrial engine draino - the crap that comes out looks like oil that's been in service for 60,000 miles. You will need 3 cheapo oil filters (they'll only be run for 30 minutes each), one of your normal oil filters, two gallons of kerosene, one large bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, seven quarts of cheapo 10w30, and 6 quarts of your favorite 5w30 or 0w30 oil.
  • Bring engine to operating temperature then shut off
  • Drain oil thoroughly and change filter for one of the cheapos
  • Add 4 quarts of kerosene, 1 quart cheapo 10w30, and 1 pint Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase and start the engine.
  • DO NOT REV THE ENGINE OR DRIVE THE TRUCK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! IT MUST STAY AT IDLE AT ALL TIMES DURING THIS PROCESS!! Kerosene IS a lubricant, and it will protect your bearings at idle, but not much faster. Revving will cause you to spin a bearing and more
  • Allow engine to idle 30 minutes at operating temperature
  • Stop engine and immediately drain crankcase. Observe the color of what comes out.
  • Change oil filter for another cheapo
  • Refill with four quarts kerosene, one quart cheapo 10w30, and one pint MMM, Start engine and run another 30 minutes.
  • Stop engine and immediately drain crankcase. Observe what comes out - it will still be nasty but should be much lighter in color
  • Change oil filter for the last cheapo
  • Refill with FIVE quarts cheapo 10w30 and one QUART MMM. (This is just a 'final flush' to get rid of the kerosene.) Start engine and run another 30 minutes.
  • Stop engine and immediately drain crankcase (thoroughly - let it drain for a while so anything in the top of the engine has a chance to drip down). There shouldn't be much gunk left in the engine at this point, so what comes out should be much lighter than before.
  • Change oil filter for your regular quality one
  • Refill with 6 quarts of your favorite oil.

All "oil starvation" noises should be gone at this point.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)

Last edited by TazRango; 07-20-2011 at 05:07 AM.
post #13 of 32 Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Jimmy_D

Vehicle: 01 Black QC 2WD
Modifications: Lowered,20's,Billet grill,Nitrous

ahh yes. i wasnt thinking. im used to my ls series motors where it's a given chevy thing.

Ahh muffler bearings yes! check blinker fluid also.. may lead to noise

01 QC 4.7L-Superchips,4.10's,e-fan,bbk 70mm tb,CAI,magnaflow w/3in stainless side exit exhaust no cats,100shot,20x10's, 2/3 drop,Billet grille+bumper inserts,cadence 10's,autotek 1000watt amp,Alpine cdplayer,Painted Stuff
68 Chevy Truck -355,lime green tire burner
post #14 of 32 Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
greendurango

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastKevin View Post
Bad muffler bearings.

Gotta have it!!

post #15 of 32 Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
greendurango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazRango View Post
The 4.7 is OHC.. It doesn't have lifters.. It has hydraulic lash adjusters.. But that sounds like what it is. My truck had a similar noise, which went away after I flushed the engine.

I forget where I saw the recipe, but I've used it (about 30,000 miles ago) and this stuff works like industrial engine draino - the crap that comes out looks like oil that's been in service for 60,000 miles. You will need 3 cheapo oil filters (they'll only be run for 30 minutes each), one of your normal oil filters, two gallons of kerosene, one large bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, seven quarts of cheapo 10w30, and 6 quarts of your favorite 5w30 or 0w30 oil.
  • Bring engine to operating temperature then shut off
  • Drain oil thoroughly and change filter for one of the cheapos
  • Add 4 quarts of kerosene, 1 quart cheapo 10w30, and 1 pint Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase and start the engine.
  • DO NOT REV THE ENGINE OR DRIVE THE TRUCK UNDER ANY
    CIRCUMSTANCES! IT MUST STAY AT IDLE AT ALL TIMES DURING THIS PROCESS!!
    Kerosene IS a lubricant, and it will protect your bearings at idle, but not much faster. Revving will cause you to spin a bearing and more
  • Allow engine to idle 30 minutes at operating temperature
  • Stop engine and immediately drain crankcase. Observe the color of what comes out.
  • Change oil filter for another cheapo
  • Refill with four quarts kerosene, one quart cheapo 10w30, and one pint MMM, Start engine and run another 30 minutes.
  • Stop engine and immediately drain crankcase. Observe what comes out - it will still be nasty but should be much lighter in color
  • Change oil filter for the last cheapo
  • Refill with FIVE quarts cheapo 10w30 and one QUART MMM. (This is just a 'final flush' to get rid of the kerosene.) Start engine and run another 30 minutes.
  • Stop engine and immediately drain crankcase (thoroughly - let it drain for a while so anything in the top of the engine has a chance to drip down). There shouldn't be much gunk left in the engine at this point, so what comes out should be much lighter than before.
  • Change oil filter for your regular quality one
  • Refill with 6 quarts of your favorite oil.

All "oil starvation" noises should be gone at this point.
was your noise similar to mine? could this clog up your oil pump?

Gotta have it!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: