1999 - 3.9L No Oil pressure at warm idle - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2.5L/3.7L/3.9L Engines Questions regarding the I4 and V6 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 1999, Dakota, Sport
1999 - 3.9L No Oil pressure at warm idle

Hey guys,

Just bought a 1999 Dakota Sport, 3.9L. Got it on the road and after 15 minutes of driving the oil pressure Gage went from 40psi to 0 as I came to a stop sign. The truck had been sitting for a few months when I bought it and the oil is a nasty nasty dark color. (was already planning to do an oil change when I got home). I've heard to change/clean the oil pressure sender and do an engine flush however I am wondering if the truck is ok to drive. The oil pressure shoots back up to 40 when I'm on the gas and only drops when I brake for a corner etc.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any tips to getting the sender off without buying the special socket?

Thanks, Dusty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 AM
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Reputation: 580 Little Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up there
put a manual gauge on it before you do anything....it's possible pick-up screen could be plugged

Old 08-04-2011, 02:13 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota Club Cab 4x4
Oil pump and/or bearings are worn and the oil is too thin when warm to build pressure. Change the oil using a higher viscosity oil like 10w-40 and add a viscosity enhancing product like STP Oil Treatment.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Dakota 4x4
ive been having the same problem on my 97 3.9l. put a manual guage and it showed the same. dropped the pan to check the screen... nothin.. replaced the pump while i was there and im still havin the same problem. guess now ill have to try the higher viscosity oil
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 AM
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s

Vehicle: 93 CC 2wd
Garage
Agree with the manual gauge. It may just be the sending unit.
20" Chrome Ram Wheels
'04 Bright Silver Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi

Blue '93 CC Dak MS3XEFI 408 R3 Indy Heads Twin Turbos
My fQuick (Mods)
R3 Twin Turbo Build
MS3EFI
Link to current pic
513-Motorsports-LLC
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Dakota 4x4
still nothin changed with the thicker oil... now what?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 1998 dodge dakota sport
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_tow View Post
still nothin changed with the thicker oil... now what?
Why not just change the rod bearings only? To boost oil pressure?. Its bin-done before. Just match the size you have now install it with "stp" or asy-lube and let it idle for 30mim's then up to 2000rpm's 5-10mim's God bless and good luck.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s

Vehicle: 93 CC 2wd
Garage
As mentioned before, but a manual gauge on it and see if it really is dropping pressure.
20" Chrome Ram Wheels
'04 Bright Silver Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi

Blue '93 CC Dak MS3XEFI 408 R3 Indy Heads Twin Turbos
My fQuick (Mods)
R3 Twin Turbo Build
MS3EFI
Link to current pic
513-Motorsports-LLC
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 AM
ol' grouch

Vehicle: 1992 Dakota, 2001 Ram
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust0800 View Post
Hey guys,

Just bought a 1999 Dakota Sport, 3.9L. Got it on the road and after 15 minutes of driving the oil pressure Gage went from 40psi to 0 as I came to a stop sign. The truck had been sitting for a few months when I bought it and the oil is a nasty nasty dark color. (was already planning to do an oil change when I got home). I've heard to change/clean the oil pressure sender and do an engine flush however I am wondering if the truck is ok to drive. The oil pressure shoots back up to 40 when I'm on the gas and only drops when I brake for a corner etc.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any tips to getting the sender off without buying the special socket?

Thanks, Dusty

A lot depends on how many miles the engine has. If it's 100K or more, you may have worn bearings. Especially if the previous owner was slack about oil changes. Now, the original timing chains on a lot of Detroit iron had a plastic like coating so when you looked at it new, it was smooth as silk and quiet. The polymer gets old and comes apart. I've fished a bunch of this out of the oil pickup screen in the past.

Now is the time to check your engine's condition. What kind of shape is the timing chain in? If it's worn, replacing the timing chain will sometimes help a little. That could also be where the garbage in your pickup came from. While you have the pan down, replace the oil pump. You want a high VOLUME pump. This will compensate for worn bushings and bearings. DO NOT put a high pressure pump on it as it will blow your bearings out and shorten the life of your engine quick.

I'll bet a new pump will give you the 10 psi per 1000 rpm you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: