rear axle id help? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Traction Control Slicks, Traction Bars, Ladder Bars, VHT!

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Shitter Outlaw

Vehicle: 98 dodge durango (5.2)
Send a message via Yahoo to synpsycho
rear axle id help?

hello i have a 98 rango with the 5.2 i was wondering what rear end i have and all and possible upgrades...yes its a 4x4 as are all 98s as i hear...i have an id tag saying 0058 and one that says 3.9 so im figuring i have 3.92 gears...so what would my front have...im figuring the same...i wanna alittle more torque and get up and go with it and upgrade my gears...so im figuring i need to redo the gears in front and rear...and also did my truck come with a lsd since its a 4x4??? and did the put the 3.92's cause my stock tire size is 31x10.5r15...and if i change my gears would it be harder to push those tires or easier??? i know how to swap parts for parts...but changing shit on a 4x4 is different for me...and ive helped people install gears in like mustangs and shit but they did the math...any help and advice would be helpful and thanks
5 Door Whore #238
Never share all of your knowledge, Let people think your an idiot and prove them wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: 03 Durango SXT
there is a sticker in your glove compartment that states what carrier and gear you currently have
Old 06-02-2011, 02:10 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
4x4 didn't mean it came with a limited slip, 31's from the factory doesn't mean 3.92's either.

Your front axle is a Dana 35 IFS.

Rear axle could be a 8.25 (10 bolt cover) or a 9.25 (12 bolt cover).
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
I drive with two feet

Vehicle: 2002 Dak QC, 2001 Durango
Metal tags were placed under (until 1999?) the cover bolts to identify the axle type and ratio. The 3.9 denotes 3.92:1, while 3.5 indicates a 3.55:1 axle. Since you have a 4x4 you'll have the same ratio in both axles. And yes, all 1998 Durangos were 4x4. 1999 introduced the 4x2 in the line.

If the rear axle's cover has 10 bolts it is an 8.25" carrier, and 12 bolts are on the 9.25" carrier.

When the truck was built there was also a (paper) label put onto the left end of the axle tube which listed the gear ratio and whether it is open or LSD. Being a label it is likely it is long gone. It's still perfectly intact on my 2001 Durango.

So hopefully the option label is still inside the glovebox door. The options decode like this: DRA = 8.25 Corporate Axle, DRB = 9.25 Corporate Axle, DMC= 3.21 Ratio, DMD = 3.55 Axle Ratio, DMH = 3.92 Axle Ratio, DSA = Trac-Lok/Anti-Spin Differential

It looks from the parts catalog that the 8.25" axle wasn't introduced in the Durango until 2000.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Shitter Outlaw

I don't have the label on anymore...in the glove box says LJCE-TRIM CODE DGB- STD DUTY 4SOD AUTO TRANS PCN-PRIMARY PAINT QCN-SECONDARY PAINT...like I said metal tags on trans are 0058 and 3.9 and its a 12 bolt cover...so I'm still trying to figure out what is in my rear end
5 Door Whore #238
Never share all of your knowledge, Let people think your an idiot and prove them wrong.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
No Boost? Why Drive?

Vehicle: 95 Dakota Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by synpsycho View Post
I don't have the label on anymore...in the glove box says LJCE-TRIM CODE DGB- STD DUTY 4SOD AUTO TRANS PCN-PRIMARY PAINT QCN-SECONDARY PAINT...like I said metal tags on trans are 0058 and 3.9 and its a 12 bolt cover...so I'm still trying to figure out what is in my rear end
You have a 9.25 with 3.92 gears. Jack up the ass end, and put it in neutral with the e-brake off, spin a tire, if they go the opposite direction it's open, if they go the same directions it's LSD.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Shitter Outlaw

Ok kool thanks...I will check that when it gets a little cooler out
5 Door Whore #238
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Shitter Outlaw

It's open...jacked up rear end put truck in neutral and spun the tire one moved with the driveshaft...put it in park spun again and the other tire moved the other way...so next question is where's a good place to find a locker? Also I remember watching extreme 4x4 and they did a locker on the cheap by welding up some crap...any thoughts on that and what do I weld? Thanks for yhe help guys
5 Door Whore #238
Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 AM
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 

Vehicle: 2 of em.
Reputation: 395 jmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to behold
Google : Lincoln locker

I would not do that if its something I actually drive.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!

Vehicle: 02 Dak, 95 XJ, 06 Corolla
If you're looking for a reasonably priced locker thats pretty easy to install check out the Powertrax Lock-Right and No-Slip. They are mechanical ratcheting lockers similar to a Detroit, but they are what is known as "lunchbox lockers" which just basically means they replace the spider gears in the stock carrier. I've got a No-Slip in my 02 and have had Lock-Rights in two other trucks and they've all worked flawlessly in spite of me beating on them pretty hard really often lol. The welding option that you mentioned or a "Lincoln Locker" as mentioned above is a good and cheap option for a budget wheeling truck, but not one I'd even consider for something that is gonna spend most of its life on the road. Doing this method basically gives you the same effect as a Spool, which means both tires are mechanically locked together 100% of the time, it will chirp the tires going around turns, wear tires out much faster, and affect the truck's handling as well.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Shitter Outlaw

Thanks guys...I learn something new everyday...I'm looking into a LSD for when I start building things up...figured start getting parts list now...and go with cheapest and odds and ends first...I don't do much off roading but wanna build a 4x4 drag truck that's still streetable...and thoughts about front diff since I wanna do a set up like this?

Edit: fixed typos due to phone
5 Door Whore #238
Old 06-04-2011, 03:52 AM
Shitter Outlaw

Ok I was researching and got to summit...both of these look the same why the price difference? And I'm guessing this is what I need?

http://m.summitracing.com/search/Bra...rysler-9-25-in
5 Door Whore #238
Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!

Vehicle: 02 Dak, 95 XJ, 06 Corolla
One is made to fit inside a factory open diff carrier, and the other is made to fit in a limited slip carrier, since you've got an open diff in your truck, you need the cheaper one that is made to fit in the open diff. Prices may have gone up over time, but I remember my No-Slip being quite a bit cheaper then that, I wanna say I paid just under $400 for mine but that was back in 05. At any rate do some shopping to try and find a better deal, might get lucky.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Shitter Outlaw

Thanks again...I will hunt around specially now I know what I'm looking for...
5 Door Whore #238
Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML

Vehicle: '93, 3.9L, '92 3.5L
Send a message via AIM to Shimrra Send a message via MSN to Shimrra Send a message via Yahoo to Shimrra Send a message via Skype™ to Shimrra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaack727 View Post
Google : Lincoln locker

I would not do that if its something I actually drive.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763645

IN THE WORKS:
'92 318 swap, coming closer to completion every dime I can squirrel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: