blacksrt4

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota 4X2 quad cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Timing advance

Hey guys,

Just bought a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4X2 with the 4.7L

Have been a bit dissapointed with the performance of this motor.

I have a scan gauge which reads a few different things and noticed the following which seemed odd.

1. Timing advance at WOT is around 13-14 degrees at around 3000-4000rpm and slowly climbs to 21-22 near redline (no knock detected). I haven't encountered too many motors with such low timing advance, aside from heavily boosted motors.

2. TPS voltage reads 3.6 @ WOT (seems a bit low). With throttle closed, I am getting 0.50. I checked and the throttle is opening all the way. I have loosened my tps sensor and retightened it. This has now given me a closed tps voltage of 0.56 and a WOT voltage of 3.66. Is this low?

Questions,
1. do any of these values seem low?
2. Does a battery disconnect usually help reset the pcm parameters on this truck?

Also, worth noting, a dodge dealer flashed an updated file onto the PCM (as there is a sticker in my engine bay stating so). I read that there were concerns about engine knock a few years back... is the reflash meant to lower timing advance and reduce knock?

Last edited by blacksrt4; 05-30-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 PM
FastQC4.7

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksrt4 View Post
Hey guys,

Just bought a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab with the 4X2.

Have been a bit dissapointed with the performance of this motor.

I have a scan gauge which reads a few different things and noticed the following which seemed odd.

1. Timing advance at WOT is around 13-14 degrees at around 3000-4000rpm and slowly climbs to 21-22 near redline (no knock detected). I haven't encountered too many motors with such low timing advance, aside from heavily boosted motors.

2. TPS voltage reads 3.6 WOT (seems a bit low). With throttle closed, I am getting 0.50. I checked and the throttle is opening all the way. I have loosened my tps sensor and retightened it. This has not given me a closed tps voltage of 0.56 and a WOT voltage of 3.66. Is this low?

Questions,
1. do any of these values seem low?
2. Does a battery disconnect usually help reset the pcm parameters on this truck?

Also, worth noting, a dodge dealer flashed an updated file onto the PCM (as there is a sticker in my engine bay stating so). I read that there were concerns about engine knock a few years back... is the reflash meant to lower timing advance and reduce knock?
A 4.7 "Death Flash" does not exist because they were not prone to the intake valley oil leak that the 3.9/5.2/5.9 engines were.

However the stock timing advance on the standard output 4.7 engines is stupid weak. I ran up to 30* on my 4.7 above 4,600 rpm. Stock my 4.7 Ram would retard to -15*BTDC on a WOT stab at idle, slowly climb back to 0*, then start a slow creep up to 18* @ 2,600 only to fall back too 15* @ 3,600, then a slow climb to 28* total at the 5,600 rpm fuel shut-off.

Adjusting the TPS to increase form 13% to about 18% at idle makes it read closer to 80% at WOT rather than 73% that I saw stock. The part-throttle and WOT shift points all increased to a much nicer RPM, also delaying the TCC lockup slightly.

As for timing Superchips 91 program will add a large amount of timing and make the truck run much more responsively.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
blacksrt4

Perfect information.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastQC4.7 View Post
A 4.7 "Death Flash" does not exist because they were not prone to the intake valley oil leak that the 3.9/5.2/5.9 engines were.

However the stock timing advance on the standard output 4.7 engines is stupid weak. I ran up to 30* on my 4.7 above 4,600 rpm. Stock my 4.7 Ram would retard to -15*BTDC on a WOT stab at idle, slowly climb back to 0*, then start a slow creep up to 18* @ 2,600 only to fall back too 15* @ 3,600, then a slow climb to 28* total at the 5,600 rpm fuel shut-off.

Adjusting the TPS to increase form 13% to about 18% at idle makes it read closer to 80% at WOT rather than 73% that I saw stock. The part-throttle and WOT shift points all increased to a much nicer RPM, also delaying the TCC lockup slightly.

As for timing Superchips 91 program will add a large amount of timing and make the truck run much more responsively.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 AM
PDR1878
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT

Interesting information.

I think maybe I need a programmer..
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 AM
FastQC4.7

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR1878 View Post
Interesting information.

The response to the additional timing was much more noticeable when we programmed his 03. We had installed my 06 engine in it that already had HO cams, 2008 intake, JBA shorty headers from day one.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM
01Dak4.7

Vehicle: 01 Dodge Dakota
Modifications: SCT,h.o. cams, 08 intake manifold,F&B 72mm, ATI underdrive pulley,gibson headers,3.92w/lsd,Zex nitrous kit,centerforce clutch,summit traction bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR1878 View Post
Interesting information.

check out www.airram.com
post #7 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
blacksrt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastQC4.7 View Post
The response to the additional timing was much more noticeable when we programmed his 03. We had installed my 06 engine in it that already had HO cams, 2008 intake, JBA shorty headers from day one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySofWYQeG0
Looks very quick!

Once I get all the maintenance stuff up to date (needs brakes, and other small stuff), I will start slowly gathering parts.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: