Help: 1999 Durango will not start - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Automotive Discussion Miscellaneous chatter about Dodge Trucks

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Durango
Question Help: 1999 Durango will not start

I killed the battery in my 1999 Durango by leaving the head lights on for about a week. Yeap that will do it. The battery was over 3 years old so I went and purchased a new one. The truck was been sitting for a couple months now. Got new battery installed and car will turn over but not fire. Not sure what to check next. Truck ran great right up until I parked it without turning off lights. I am a little puzzled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 05:17 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Durango
I did a search and found this article. I hope this may help

Q. Hi, I hope you can help us out. We need our car back working again since my wife uses it for work. I own a 1999 Dodge Durango. It has 58,000 miles on it and has an automatic transmission. I left the tail gate open for two or three hours yesterday and when I went to start it, it was completely dead. No lights or clicking sounds.
Dodge Durango No Juice, Won't Start

Then I took the key out of the ignition and a clicking sound came from behind the glove box. It lasted about five seconds and stopped on it's own. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new battery since it was late and I was desperate. I swapped them out and still nothing happened. All wires were tight and clean.

This happened about two years ago and the dealer fixed it. That time a dome light was left on overnight. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? I really want to fix it myself and not pay them for repeated trips to fix the same problems.

Thank you,
Brian and Mary Jo

A. When the armed Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the system will have to be actively or passively disarmed after the battery is reconnected.

The alarm can be disarmed by locking the vehicle and turning the drivers door lock to the lock (arm) position. Wait a few minutes then unlock (disarm) the drivers door and the vehicle should start.

If the VTSS has been disabled in the high-line Central Timer Module (CTM), the VTSS feature must be re-enabled using the Chrysler DRB scan tool. The clicking you heard was probably from the CTM located behind the glove box.

Additional Information provided courtesy of AllDATA
Old 05-08-2011, 05:28 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Durango
I had this problem after I killed the battery. Replaced the ignition coil. The check engine light came on, still wouldnt start. Ended up being up being a transmission code . Dealership cleared the code two years ago, trouble free since.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: