can you change "inner" tie rods? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Automotive Discussion Miscellaneous chatter about Dodge Trucks

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Don't be "That Guy"

Vehicle: 98 Dakota Clubcab 7.2L
Reputation: 181 70Cuda383 is a name known to all70Cuda383 is a name known to all
can you change "inner" tie rods?

my outer tie rod ends are fine, but I have an 'inner tie rod" that's bent. I say "inner tie rod" because that's what it would be on an older car, but with this rack and pinion, the tie rod disappears into the rubber boot on the rack/pinion, so I don't know if it can be changed or if the entire rack has to be swapped out.

anyone swap out the thinner tie rod that the tie rod ends screw onto to adjust your toe in/out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT QC
I had my left inner tie rod end changed two days ago, because I could see movement between the tie rod and the steering gear when my truck was on the rack. Made a nice little clunk, too. Paid about $190 to have it changed, which might have been a little high.

2000 QC with 4.7L V8, 545RFE transmission, Polished/Ported Cylinder Heads, Bosch +4 Plugs, HO Cams, Mopar beehive valvesprings, bwdakrt 65 mm Throttle Body, Fuel Delivery mod, Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, Dynomax Cat-back, Trans-Go Shift Kit, JGC Fan conversion, no stock engine-driven fan, Ceramic front brake pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors, Goodridge S/S brake hoses, PLX M250 WB AFR gauge, 2004 Mopar fuel injectors, JBA Ceramic coated headers, coolant-based intake heater
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 AM
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s

Vehicle: 93 CC 2wd
Garage
You can change it I believe. I have done it on other vehicles. It takes a special tool unless you want to take the rack out. The tool should be available at AutoZone as a loaner. I would get a Moog brand from O'Reilly's though.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ota&vi=1314433
20" Chrome Ram Wheels
'04 Bright Silver Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi

Blue '93 CC Dak MS3XEFI 408 R3 Indy Heads Twin Turbos
My fQuick (Mods)
R3 Twin Turbo Build
MS3EFI
Link to current pic
513-Motorsports-LLC

Last edited by Blue93Dakota; 04-07-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 AM

Vehicle: 1999 durango (5.2L)
yes it can be changed. very simple job, but you may need to get a new clamp for the boot, there are ways to tighten the clamp without the propper pliers but they can be found for a reasonable price and one should have them anyways if they do their own work, as they are also used for CV joint boot clamps.

mods: Functional ram air hood, 17" rt rims, 3" Magnaflow cat back, Eddy shorty headers,JBA y-pipe, RHS indy heads, 1.6 RR, comp cam .480 lift, MP valve springs, Comp cams double roller timing set, modified kegger intake, TB by Dwight, Grille craft inserts, Infinity Reference speakers all around with 10" Infinity sub in custom fibreglass enclosure, flip down DVD.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 AM
The bike-obsessed lunatic

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT
Yup can be changed relatively easily.
The pliers ramayer was mentioning are nice to have but not necessary. We clipped the bands holding on the boot, then re-secured it using a screw type metal band. Works great!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 AM

Vehicle: '02 Dak 3.9 / '02 Dur 4.7
Yup, overall its a fairly easy job.

FYI - the loaner tool at AutoZone didn't work on my truck, it was too small. I ended up using a large pair of vice grips to remove and re-install the new part.

Once the boot is removed, the inner tie rod just unscrews from the rack. If you don't get new rack boots at the same time, you can just use a large zip-tie to re-secure the boot. It's what the new boots would come with anyway.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Home Owner....

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota R/T
Send a message via Yahoo to razman131 Send a message via Skype™ to razman131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
my outer tie rod ends are fine, but I have an 'inner tie rod" that's bent. I say "inner tie rod" because that's what it would be on an older car, but with this rack and pinion, the tie rod disappears into the rubber boot on the rack/pinion, so I don't know if it can be changed or if the entire rack has to be swapped out.

anyone swap out the thinner tie rod that the tie rod ends screw onto to adjust your toe in/out?
as mentioned above, they can be changed. do any *oh by the way* stuff while front end is apart. be sure to use blue loctite during assembly.
BEATER: 1991 Honda Civic DX 4dr
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

Reputation: 181 70Cuda383 is a name known to all70Cuda383 is a name known to all
the "oh by the way stuff" is already done! it already has new ball joints, I'm doing brakes at the same time, and am also swapping out whatever drop springs are in it not for my hotchkis coils/shocks.

I'm actually surprised at how easy that was to do! I was worried that it couldn't be done because my Factory Service Manual doesn't say anything about changing the inner tie rods, only the tie rod ends, or the entire rack.

just need to get a tie rod end to finish up the job. this one is too loose, and the ball stud is spinning inside the rod end, so I can't get the bolt tight.

if all I had to do was swap out the inner tie rod, I could have been done in about an hour.

to the guy who paid $200 for that...I'm sorry man, but you got had. the part is like $10 on Rock Auto, so you got hit for about 3 hours of labor for a 1 hour job.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

Quote:
to the guy who paid $200 for that...I'm sorry man, but you got had. the part is like $10 on Rock Auto, so you got hit for about 3 hours of labor for a 1 hour job.

Nevermind....they would have done a complete alignment as well afterwards since they had the front end apart. $200 probably is close to fair once you consider an $80 alignment job as well....
Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Nevermind....they would have done a complete alignment as well afterwards since they had the front end apart. $200 probably is close to fair once you consider an $80 alignment job as well....
Well, the inner tie rod end cost $72, $102 was for labor, and the remaining $10 was for tax. I paid $80 extra for the alignment.

Like I said, I may have paid a little much to have this job done, but I just didn't want to bother with yet more potentially time-consuming front-end work after I spent two days replacing balljoints and lower control arms.

2000 QC with 4.7L V8, 545RFE transmission, Polished/Ported Cylinder Heads, Bosch +4 Plugs, HO Cams, Mopar beehive valvesprings, bwdakrt 65 mm Throttle Body, Fuel Delivery mod, Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, Dynomax Cat-back, Trans-Go Shift Kit, JGC Fan conversion, no stock engine-driven fan, Ceramic front brake pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors, Goodridge S/S brake hoses, PLX M250 WB AFR gauge, 2004 Mopar fuel injectors, JBA Ceramic coated headers, coolant-based intake heater
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Well, the inner tie rod end cost $72, $102 was for labor, and the remaining $10 was for tax. I paid $80 extra for the alignment.

Like I said, I may have paid a little much to have this job done, but I just didn't want to bother with yet more potentially time-consuming front-end work after I spent two days replacing balljoints and lower control arms.

Holy crap!! Are we talking a Dakota here? Those parts are $10-$20 on rock auto and autozone websites!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Holy crap!! Are we talking a Dakota here? Those parts are $10-$20 on rock auto and autozone websites!!
That's why I prefer to do my own maintenance. I spent about $220 in Moog parts to do the other balljoint/swaybar link maintenance, and it would have cost me at least $400 if I had a local repair shop do the maintenance, and they would likely would have used cheapo junk that would have failed in a year.

I suppose I could have waited until this weekend, and done both inner and outer tie rod ends myself, but I just came out of a nice round of wrestling lower control arms and grinding off upper balljoint rivets in 30 degree weather. I could have also done the tie rod ends while I was doing the other front end labor. Ah, well. Woulda-coulda-shoulda...

Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

I hear ya on that!! Lucky for me, I have a parts truck now, I just replaced: right tie rod, left spindle, hub, caliper, and pads, all I spent was $25 for new pads!!

When I don't want to mess w something, I at least price check the parts before going, and give the guy up to 10% over to supply his own parts, otherwise, I supply my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: