Easiest way to change a head light bulb - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lights Parts Info Links : Clear Corners * Headlights * Headlight Covers * Tail Lights * Tail Light Covers

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport
Easiest way to change a head light bulb

I just spent the last hour changing my driver side bulb. I reached by the battery and done it that way, is there and easier way?

Reg Cab 4x4 4.7 v8 with straight pipes Auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
That's my stapler.

Vehicle: 2003 408ci Dakota R/T
Reputation: 127 SinCity R/T is a glorious beacon of lightSinCity R/T is a glorious beacon of light
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SinCity R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMielke View Post
I just spent the last hour changing my driver side bulb. I reached by the battery and done it that way, is there and easier way?
My hands are too big to reach in through the openings in the back - found it easier (although not necessarily less time consuming) to swap the bulb from the front - remove the torx screw so you can slide out the corner lens, etc.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 AM

I tried doing that way but I didn't have the right size tork wrench so I squeezed my hand back there to change it. I need to pick up some more. Do you know what size it is, I tried 10 and 15 the 10 was too small and the 15 was too big.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Swap Meet Moderator

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota R/T
Reputation: 172 DakotaLivLrg is a name known to allDakotaLivLrg is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to DakotaLivLrg Send a message via MSN to DakotaLivLrg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity R/T View Post
My hands are too big to reach in through the openings in the back - found it easier (although not necessarily less time consuming) to swap the bulb from the front - remove the torx screw so you can slide out the corner lens, etc.
yeah this ^^^

I have large hands and too much crap in the way like my viper fan controler and MSD igntion on the driver side ..haha

and sorry I don't know what size the torx is .. its really small for the coner and then it should be bolts for the headlight
Scott aka DJ Six 4...SSRage for life. The original Dak-Dur postwhore thread....Dog #38 - Pinky Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
ps If you are a Royal Purple user, you really need to use the matching Violet scented compressed air in your tires for maximum fuel mileage!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: '02 Dak 3.9 / '02 Dur 4.7
The torx is a T10 on both my trucks.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: 04 Dakota QC 4x4 SLT
There's three bolts holding the whole headlight assembly to the truck that shouldn't be hard at all to get to. My small hands can easily get to the bottom-middle bolt from under the truck. A small ratchet with a small extension and a 10mm socket easily gets to the front ones. I just replaced my headlight bulbs yesterday and it wasen't hard to do.

2004 Dakota CQ 4x4 4.7 *SOLD*
Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade

Vehicle: 99 dakota r/t
Reputation: 133 suprchgd99rango is a glorious beacon of lightsuprchgd99rango is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to suprchgd99rango
i have fat hands and can change a bulb no problem.......

Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 AM

I'll get pics tomorrow of it but the entire housing is torxs and the one between the light is bigger then a T10. I eventually want to change the entire thing anyway I want the Eagle Eye ones off of ebay.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
remove the torx screw holding the turn signals in it should be a T10 then pull turn signals forward to remove

After turn signals are removed you will see three 10mm bolts holding the headlight in remove them and pull firmly to remove headlights

the whole thing takes 30 min or less to change all the lights on the front end
Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Mopar n00b

Vehicle: 2000 Durango 4X2
Rep to acr242004 for your post...thanks for the write up, it helped me get the new Silver Star bulbs in.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

Vehicle: 98 Dakota Clubcab 7.2L
Reputation: 181 70Cuda383 is a name known to all70Cuda383 is a name known to all
I used to reach in through the fender. fuck that. reaching into a blind hole, trying to line up the tabs so the light fits in just right, then getting hte lock ring to line up and twist into place...while being a contortionist...it took me probably 30 minutes to change 2 head lights, just because I was fighting everything.

I just finished some paint work where i pulled the front lights off. I'm doing my headlights that way from now on. I think I cut my time in half! torx screw for the corner lights, 3 10mm bolts for the head light, and I had it off in about 3 minutes. swap the lights out while good visibility, great access, and not worry about smashing that expensive halogen lamp against something or touching it and getting oils on it, etc. then put it all back together.

so much easier, and because of how it's built/designed, you don't mess with the headlight aim at all when you remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: