Wanna increase gas mileage help? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Durango V8 5.9L
Wanna increase gas mileage help?

is there any cheap ways to improve my MPG i have a 99 5.9L durango 32x10.5 Goodyear SRA tires a K&N FIPK intake and muffler back 3inch pipe exhaust
I need to know if theres anything else with out getting crazy expensive to do
removing weight i know helps but what can i remove third row seat?? anything else
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Dodge/Dakota
Garage
change spark plugs, check air in tires, map sensor, clean throttle body, o2 sensors, air filter, use a light foot when driving, do reg oil change keeping engine running smoothly, change gas filters, etc
2001 club cab, 4.7L V8, 4x4, 3"body lift, tortion lift,33 BF Goodrich AT TA KO's, Sreet Scene Chrome grill. 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee TCM. Depo 2 piece clear headlights, aftermarket taillights, baja eliminator bar, hella lights 500ff, PIA 510 clear driving lights.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota
Reputation: 197 Jarheadoo7 is a name known to allJarheadoo7 is a name known to all
all of the above and get 1 or 2 more MPG

or spend 500 dollars on a 1995 toyota corolla and drive that daily and get about 18 more mpg..

Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I hate you people.

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota
Change all your drivetrain fluids over to full synthetics. I use Valvoline SYNPower in the engine, while I use Royal Purple in the trans, transfer case, and axles.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Durango V8 5.9L
i will def be changing spark plugs and lookin inot switching over to synthetic fluids also will removing weight do much more?? what can you really remove to make a difference
Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 AM
I hate you people.

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota
Your going to have remove a lot of interior bits and pieces to get any sort of meaningful weight loss. If you have the optional third row and don't have the need to seat 7 people constantly, then storing the third row will help. You cold also go without the spare tire and wheel but you could end up with something to the tire that makes flat repair kits useless due to the size of the damage.
after that, it's interior panels, speakers, insulation, and then bare metal to get to more than 100lbs., it's not easy. If your gonna do that, better to invest in a carbon fiber front clip, I'm sure someone has done carbon fiber parts for our trucks.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: '99 d-rang 5.2l 4x4
carbon fiber on tha dee-rang... that'll be the day...

best weight savings is in rotational mass. lightweight drivelines, flywheels, axles, and of course wheels and tires. i've heard from many people on racing forums that 1 pound of rotational mass is equal to approx 20-25 lbs dead weight. so lightening rotational parts 4 pounds will give you the equivalent of saving 100 lbs overall. and you can keep your spare tire and interior...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango
How fast do you drive? Slowing down is free, and pays huge. Mine hass the 4.7 engine, but keeping the speeds down had me at 22 mpg and 25 mpg running down to CO last weekend. I was still able to manage 19.1 and 20.3 on the return trip with a fully loaded 4x6 U-Haul trailer in tow.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: '99 d-rang 5.2l 4x4
driving slow is overrated.... haha jk. i'm just always running behind schedule...ALWAYS...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota R/T Clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
carbon fiber on tha dee-rang... that'll be the day...

best weight savings is in rotational mass. lightweight drivelines, flywheels, axles, and of course wheels and tires. i've heard from many people on racing forums that 1 pound of rotational mass is equal to approx 20-25 lbs dead weight. so lightening rotational parts 4 pounds will give you the equivalent of saving 100 lbs overall. and you can keep your spare tire and interior...
I don't think it's quite that much, I've read anywhere from 2x to 6x. I just lost about 35lbs by getting some lighter wheels, going by your numbers, that would equal dropping 700-875lb. I could feel a slight difference in acceleration, but not 800lb worth. lol

Mods:
4.10 gears, Yukon Duragrip, BlkDak 51.75mm TB, M1 intake, AFE Stage 2 CAI, FMS 21# fuel injectors, Gibson Shorty Headers, SCT tune, clutch fan delete, HS 1.7 NA Roller Rockers, Single 3" Magnaflow exhaust.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Will I Am

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Durango
@ wolfman, please share your secret(s)...how in the HELL do you get 18 to 25 mpg out of a Durango 4.7??? I drive mine like 95% or more highway miles, don't "hot rod" it or have a lead foot, drive reasonably, and mine gets between 14 to 15 mpg on average, with the best I've seen being right under or just over 15. I would LOVE to get 18, let alone the 25 number you posted on here. Wow.....
Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 AM

Vehicle: -
Reputation: 102 Shackleford is just really niceShackleford is just really nice
I seem to remember people saying that these Dodge engines run more efficiently with the 180 degree thermostat instead of the 190 tstat that the factory put in (or is it 195?) I don't think it was supposed to give you major gains, but I don't think it was an outrageously expensive tweak either. From what I remember the only drawbacks were getting a quality brand tstat and that it makes it more difficult to heat the vehicle's interior since the engine's kept at a lower temp. This wouldn't matter to me in Florida, but since you live in Connecticut, a place where it probably snows until August, then this might be an issue.

Spark plugs matter. My truck's previous owner didn't replace the plugs so I did at 90,000 miles which was fairly soon after getting it. I upgraded to dual tip platinum plugs thinking I was doing a good thing and my mileage went down. I eventually learned that these trucks actually run best on a certain brand of cheapie copper plugs (I forget what they are)

Are you due for new tires? If so, find the size that's best for MPG on your Durango and look into the new ones that are supposedly designed specifically for MPG improvements. I learned about that about a month after I bought my last set of tires.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: Dodge Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willster View Post
@ wolfman, please share your secret(s)...how in the HELL do you get 18 to 25 mpg out of a Durango 4.7??? I drive mine like 95% or more highway miles, don't "hot rod" it or have a lead foot, drive reasonably, and mine gets between 14 to 15 mpg on average, with the best I've seen being right under or just over 15. I would LOVE to get 18, let alone the 25 number you posted on here. Wow.....
I too admit that's fantastic MPG he's getting! My best ever was barely 21.2 MPG going from Arizona back to California with two guys with me and there luggage. I have heard the 4.7 engine does pretty well up to about 60 MPH and then afterwards the gas mileage drops big time!!!! Based to my experience I know I can go from L.A. (generally speaking) to AZ on one tank if need be. Just drive reasonably if you can and allow the hot rodders to pass you up. This can be hard cuz after you get out on the open road everyone driving at least 65-75 MPH most if not all the way.

This question has been asked many times before so sometimes I wonder if air density could play/have a big factor???? When I go on my annual AZ trip I usually leave about 5AM so the sun hasn't come up yet. You guys tell me.

rimfire,22
Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Outlaws Phone Warden

Vehicle: '96 Dakota Ext. cab
Reputation: 275 bogieboy is a splendid one to beholdbogieboy is a splendid one to beholdbogieboy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to bogieboy Send a message via Yahoo to bogieboy
First thing, get rid of the 32s............ That will get you about 2 mpg....... Them suckers are heavy as all get out....... Remember the rotational mass?

Also, keep it under 65, drive with a light foot, etc etc.......

big things in the making
Old 05-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willster View Post
Simple. Do not exceed 55 mph, and I use my cruise control to keep that speed maintained. Yes, I know I'm going to get holy hell from several people in the group, but it works. The time "lost" is negligible as well. Just don't camp out in the left lane, or you will have well deserved angst aimed at you from faster drivers. I also avoid using the A/C until it is absolutely necessary. I keep the windows up and run the vent from outside air directly on me until it simply gets too warm for that to work.

Now, I do need to note that those numbers are strictly highway numbers. My Ultragauge is currently sitting at 12 mpg with all in town driving. I cannot get around the fact that I only have a four mile drive to work on surface streets.

Last edited by wolfman01; 05-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: