99 durango 5.2 tranny prob..takes of in 3rd and no OD - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge durango
99 durango 5.2 tranny prob..takes of in 3rd and no OD

Alright first of all its a 99 durango with the 5.2 and im pretty sure either a 42re or 44re. Its taking of in 3rd gear if you just put it in drive. I can manually shift the first 3 gears but it never shifts into OD. I had a mechanic friend of my scan it today and its pulling a PO753 code which says "shift solenoid". I know where it is and im pretty sure i know how to replace it but i dont think this is the problem. I did some reading around and found it could be a bad pcm. So i found the pink wire in the middle plug going to the pcm and spliced and ran it to a straight ground. The truck now shifts up and down perfectly and starts out in 1st as it should. However i still dont have OD and the other threads i read said that they had all gears..?? Would this still be a bad PCM if i dont have OD??? or do i have another problem along with a bad PCM?? Any help is appreciated. I myself am leaning toward pcm but i dont want to blow a bunch of money and still have the same prob... Any help is appreciated..thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Just a little bump with some more info...I just talked with a local transmission mechanic and he also seems to think it could still be just the pcm... I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of this happening after bypassing the pink wire? Just trying to lean one way ore the other before I spend the $$$$.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
5.9L of Love

Vehicle: 2001 Durango 5.9 R/T
Send a message via AIM to Mastec Send a message via MSN to Mastec
Have you checked the transmission relay under the hood, if you have one? My 01 Durango did what yours is doing. Changed the relay and everything worked fine. Just a thought.

5 DOOR WHORE #101
BEING DISABLED, QUALITY OF LIFE SUCKS ASS
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Yes sir I did...I swapped it with the horn relay and it made no difference....that was actually the first thing I tried
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 AM

Just ordered a pcm so hopefully this will fix all of my problems. I hope this will fix all the issues as the "pink wire jumper" only gave me gears 1-3 so im hoping i dont have seperate issue with the overdrive. Still would like to hear what others think about this though.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 AM
5.9L of Love

Vehicle: 2001 Durango 5.9 R/T
Send a message via AIM to Mastec Send a message via MSN to Mastec
Wish I could help but the new relay fixed my issues. I am sure someone will chime in.

5 DOOR WHORE #101
BEING DISABLED, QUALITY OF LIFE SUCKS ASS
Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: '98 Durango SLT
What ever happened with this? im having the same problem as of today, along with a code PO743....
I do know i ran it pretty low on tranny fluid recently due to my own stupidity not checking the fluid level properly untill yesterday.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Never fixed it...Ordered a rebuilt pcm, swapped them out...same problem. I got tired of screwing with a vehicle i never drove and sold it for what i had in it. Sorry i couldnt help
Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 AM

Vehicle: '99 Dakota R/T Club cab
Garage
I just battled with this issue for a couple of weeks. I started by swapping the relay and clearing the code, I drove it once and everything worked fine, on the next start up I had the code come back. Next I swapped in my spare PCM, that didn't change a damn thing. Next I ohmed from the white connector on the PCM to the center conductor on the trans relay which is the majority of the circuit including the shift solenoid. Mine was reading properly so at that point I decided it was either the solenoid, the governor pressure sensor, or an intermittent connection in the harness. I ended up pulling every connector on the transmission off, cleaning them with contact cleaner, unplugging and re-plugging them a few times to knock off any oxidation and clearing the code again. Thankfully for me at least that has solved the problem for the last couple of weeks and the code has not come back yet (knocks on wood).
Here is a very helpful link:
http://www.socaldieseltrucks.com/for...roubleshooting

'99 Custom R/T --1.92 heads, m1 2bbl, 52mm f&b, Mike Leach headers, Mopar 2400 stall, 4.56 rear, Comp cams 210/220 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, K&N FIPK, SCT, MSD 6A, 24lbs injectors, APS trans, Flex-a-lite 180 fan, 100 shot of giggle gas. Best E.T. of 12.863@104.6
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 AM

Vehicle: '98 Durango SLT
I was following your thread about this, i guess since were getting out of winter i should probably pull the connections and clean them all up. Mine is doing exactly what yours has been doing. I can clear the codes with my scanner and it operates just fine, shut it off and start it back up and it could be limp mode or not... at this point i cleared it 3 days ago maybe 4 and it hasent come back since...
Thanks for the link, that is excellent info. Someone should put that link in the knowledgebase. I found this is a common problem throughout the car community, with very little info on it.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 AM
/\/\[]P@R

Vehicle: 2 daks and a rango
i pulled a 3-4 solenoid code. forgot what it was. no od tho. it will shift when i let off the throttle and i hit the od off and can feel it shift out. but as soon as i give it gas it slips out of od. clutches are most likely bad in the od unit. lucky me. thank god i have extra transmissions laying around. gotta swap od units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: