Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
cyrus_viper

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Durango
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unhappy EVAP and Catlyst not ready for smog PLEASE HELP

Ok here it goes I recently bought an 2002 Durango with 94,000 miles on it for $3900. I went to get it smogged the day after I bought it since I live in Nevada and it has to be smogged. It failed because both the catalyst and evap were not ready and the guy asked me if the battery has been disconnected or codes reset didn't know since I just bought it from a person not dealer. So I replaced the battery because the old one was crap. Drove it for a couple days then the check engine light came on so I went and got it scanned said there was a large and small evap leak. So I found the problem 2 cracked hoses leading to the evap canister replaced and reset the codes by disconnecting the negative from battery for 5 mins. I was told to drive it from 75 to 100 miles for the evap and catalyst to be ready. did that and still same codes so I drove it for 50 miles at highway speeds went back to diagnostic at smogged still not ready. So I was told to drive it 10 miles at a constant speed of 50-55 mph did that for 20 miles to be safe went back same 2 codes popped up not ready. So I was told to put it in first and shift to 2nd reeving it up to 3500rpms went back same to codes. All ideas were from the dodge dealer now I called one and he said to bring it in and they will reset the computer since disconnecting the battery won't do it according to him. He wants to charge me $120 just to reset them I am currently going on 300 miles since I did the reset no check engine light on. So if anyone has had the same problem or any ideas what to do please let me know. I really don't want to pay $120 for them not to be sure if it's going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
WestCoastKevin

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SLT+ 4.7L V8
Modifications: HO Cams, Superchips, 5-45rfe TCM mod.

Mine took quite a while to reset itself after I replaced the two cracked hoses.

You know you can check your own codes by turning to the key to the on position 3 times in quick succession. They will show in the odometer.

Go to AutoZone, borrow the code reader and reset the check engine light yourself. Or buy one, they are cheap and handy.

Member of the engine rebuild club, HO Cams, 68mm TB by Dwight, SuperChips, Bilstein shocks, 5-45rfe Jeep TCM mod. ... and I clean the windows pretty often.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
SinCity R/T
That's my stapler.

Vehicle: 2003 408ci Dakota R/T

Garage
Send a message via AIM to SinCity R/T
Avoid the dealership - $120 for 5 mins of work with a scanner is highway robbery.

To reset the codes, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, wait about 30 seconds, then turn your key to START - hold it there for a few seconds, then turn the key to OFF, remove it, reconnect the battery. However, when you reset the codes, you also reset the emissions tables so you have to get back out on the road and drive (the same thing happens with the dealership reset).

If you reset the codes and the Check Engine Light comes back on, then the problem still exists. Check the troubleshooting subforum of the site - you can check the engine codes on your own truck free of charge, then use the tables to determine what problem(s) may still exist.

SinCity R/T
2003 White Club Cab R/T

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
cyrus_viper

Yeah that's what I figured way too much for resetting the pcm. Yeah the check engine light hasn't came back on and I'm going on 350 miles and when I do they key trick to see the codes nothing pops up. I'll try disconnecting and turning the key on and see if that works if not I guess I'll have to try something else out. Sucks going on 350 and have to reset I'm gonna go get a diagnostics from smog before I do that. Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know how it goes.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Little Blue Guy
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Modifications: Installed every option
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

evap monitor will not run test if gas tank is more than 3/4 full or less than 1/4 full

every time you disconnect the battery, every test monitor has to be run again...and some will not run until at least 2 trips of a drive cycle....

All our cars are here --> http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/A383Wing

post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
cyrus_viper

Thanks guys for all the input, but after a little more than 350 miles the catalyst was ready. Finally got it smogged and registered now just some other minor details to work on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: