O/D off light on, help! - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 AM

Vehicle: 03 Durango
O/D off light on, help!

So i recently purchase a 2003 dodge durango, has a 4.7l V8 in it. It has 65000 miles on it.
Well heres the problem, when i bought it i was driving it, and it was all good, i stop'ed some place and was just testing all the stuff ya know, hit the o/d off button at the end of the shifter and nothing happend, no o/d light off light or nothing, so im like hmm, maybe there has to be some other circumstance for it to be on or used. Like if proper conditions not met wont let you override the overdrive. Drove it home witch was like a 60mile trip. So had it parked for a day, was the weekend had to transfer title insure it and get new plates (wife wanted the pretty plate with habitat stuff on it) So she gets in it on monday and im in the passanger seat, and i look over and the o/d off light is on, and im like wtf, and hit it to see if it would come off and nothing happend (maybe it can be engaged or disengaged while its in motion or in gear?).
So my wife parked cause i told her to put it in parked turned the truck off, turned it back on, light was still on, hit the o/d off button and it turned off and on our merry way we went. Than about 15 min i looked over at the dash and bam, light was on again.

And i noticed, that it would be on, and then if we parked for a while got in, the light would be off and after driving it for alittle bit the light would turn back on, you wouldnt feel the car shift or nothing, it shifts normally and everything but ive been reading that you can feel it or hear it or somthing shift out of overdrive, when the light is on nothing happens that isnt normal, shifts very smooth still, everything seems to work fine. Also been reading that its usually followed by the tranny temp light and check engine light, but this doesnt happen, granted we have only been driving it a day or two and only put on like 120miles since we bought it.

Now my questions are possible fixes, should i flush the tranny and go from there? should it be ok to keep driving it? how can i get the temp of it without the fancy equipment like obd readers.

sorry about the run ons and errors but im at work trying to type this up quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 92 dakota v8
when you turn the light on while driving at speed does the trans downshift?
I think you answered the question about upshifting normally
where is Chisago city?
do a scan
change the fluid and use a good filter
I do not know if a stuck or sticking solenoid would activate the light
Usually it's the other way around
you push the button and nothing happens because the solenoid or wiring is bad

Anyone else experience this one???
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM

See thats the thing, if i hit it any time it doesnt do anything, and it got me thinking, like is there only one time i can hit it and it will turn the od off or should i be able to hit it anytime even while going 60mph.

When the light comes on nothing happens at all, no down shift rpms dont go up,no nothing. Everything seems to still be working good, engine shifts really smooth.

Chisago city is in northern Minnesota, near forest lake.

So if the doesnt turn the o/d off when i push the button it could be a bad solenoid, or wiring?

Another thing too, ive driven it the 24 hrs with no light turning on, my wife says its cause i was screwing with the button so it was causing it to be all goofy. She is pregnant and crabby so i just say hmmhh ok hunny.

I was going to drop the pan and change the filter this weekend, somthing we should do anyways when you purchase a new vehicle from someone else, cause who knows that they did or didnt do.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM

funny that it comes on by itself
that's more curious than not working whcich could be switch, wires, solenoid etc
I just googled 45re and found a complete manual for a 200x
what happens when you pull down the lever (at a mph so as not to over rev if it drops down into second?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM

I havnt tried that yet, ill have to give it a whirl this weekend when i change the fluids.

I would like to have it in working order cause if i start towing stuff i wanna be able to disengage the overdrive when towing stuff.

But like i asked before should i be able to turn off the overdrive anytime like on the fly even going 60mph?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM

In general I would think yes- should shift out of od at any speed
at least it does of 42-44-46 RH RE
45may be different but that would be illogical
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 PM

think i should change the solenoid and go from there? since its not coming on at all when i push the button.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like an electrical issue to me...something between the switch, instrument panel and PCM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 PM

I still do not see how light would come on on it's own unless an open or short or computer
still no codes?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
Exactly, it's an electrical issue.

The 45/5-45RFE has many redundant systems and built-in checks in place that would not allow a hardware malfunction to manifest like this without dropping into limp mode and tripping the MIL.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 PM

little update.

So i only had the light come on 2 times since Monday, there seems to be no rhyme to the reason. It does shift out of o/d but you don't feel it, the transmission shifts so smooth you don't really ever feel it. But the rpms do change from about 1800 - 2500 and that's going about 70mph.

Also if you put the vehicle in park (after the o/d off light comes on) and turn the truck off then turn it back on, the o/d off light isn't on any more and it didn't turn back on at all, you'd figure that if its something like overheating it would not just be off if you turned the truck off for a quick second and back on. But the button doesn't do anything lol.

Im going to change the fluid and filter this weekend, is there anything else i can do to help the tranny while doing this maintenance?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 PM

put in the trasngo reprogramming kit
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 AM

what transmission fluid should i use? can i use other than mopar atf+3, been seeing stuff about atf+4 too, but i dont have a dodge dealership nearby so i was wondering what other brands work well.#

I have a napa, oreilys, autozone nearby.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted

Vehicle: 2001 Dur, 2000 Dak QC
Reputation: 175 Montana Dodge is a name known to allMontana Dodge is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to Montana Dodge
ONLY ATF+4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy it at Wally World too.
5 Speed Auto CAI w/JBA Cat Back____K&N CAI - Flowmaster dual out

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 AM

at4 +3 has been superseded by atf+4
any of those stores should carry several brands
Chrysler also has an approved list on their website
avoid "compatible with"
avoid "one size fits all" and additives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: