97 Dakota (3.9L) will another ECM help me ? - Dakota Durango Forum
Computer Control Parts Info Links : PCM Modules

post #1 of 17 Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
slade25

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

97 Dakota (3.9L) will another ECM help me ?

1997 V6 Dakota 3.9L 176,000 Km automatic trans
issue #1 - comm error unable to run a scan
#2 - various "hic ups" lately seem to point to ECM

maint (1) - i had an auto electrical tech work 90 min searching for the scan problem. He found no opens, shorts and bad wiring at connector port end. His conclusion was that my ECM was the culprit.

maint (2) - vehicle constantly stalls out, especially when shifting gears. When idling or in traffic it wants to hic up/burp and stop working, unless i keep the accelerator suppressed. Once the vehicle warms up, this problem usually ceases (but not always). I have replaced wires, igniton coil and plugs, as well as the temp sensor.

Speaking to another auto tech, he suggested i replace the ECM. Used ones are much cheaper (of course). If I do this, and get an ECM same year,engine, model, will it work okay for me(after it settles in and assuming it is fully functional)? I'm wondering if the Dodge dealer has to get involved with any updates, flashing, etc ? Because it's a 1997 vehicle, i would think updates have long since ceased.

If anyone could advise and assist, it would be much appreciated.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 AM
neromo4

Vehicle: dakota 02 cc

mine used to have "hic ups" and then i cleaned off a ton o carbon that was on the iac, and i did seafoam. no problems fo years now.

post #3 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
slade25

I've been reading a few of the PCM posts on recent similar issues. I'm more confused now than before !?
I could really use accurate clarification on this one.

Can anyone with a confident degree of experience and know how answer the following please:

If I obtain another used PCM for my 97 Dakota (3.9L,2wd,auto) do I have to do anything to the PCM before installing it in place of the original ?
i.e. 1. do I have to have my VIN programmed into it, 2. do I have to get it flashed or updated at the Dodge dealer ?
3. what is the complete procedure to "re-establish" full communication with the truck, once the new/used PCM is installed? and how long should this take ?

thanks,
Steve

p.s. with respect to cleaning the IAC, i'm not familiar with seafoam. What exactly is this ?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 AM
neromo4

Vehicle: dakota 02 cc

post #5 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM
SteveBeRT

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota RT

I tried taking a PCM out of a 97 3.9l dakota automatic and put it in my 97 3.9l dakota automatic and the my truck would not start. The PCM would have to get reflashed for your vehicle.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM
varsis

Vehicle: 97 dakota 5.9
Modifications: SAS'd, 5.9 swap, 5.38 gears, and much more...

Send a message via AIM to varsis Send a message via Skype™ to varsis
I have a PCM if you need one. Not sure if it will fix your issue but I think it's not the PCM by what you described.

Have you looked at the o2 sensors? Cap? Crank and cam sensor? But it almost seems like your tps is failing though
post #7 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
slade25

ECM 97 Dakota issue

Dodge Dakota 1997 2wd auto 3.9L

problem: unable to run scan - getting link error
poor idling - stalls out frequently
poor gas mileage
--> i may 2 problems?

today i managed to get the check engine light to disappear, after removing all 3 bus harnasses to the ECM itself, verifying data and power continuities at the connector port and at the 3 connectors to the ECM.

i drove the truck about 25 miles, it works a bit better (still not right though) and the check engine alarm has not returned yet. So far I have no codes, but i still cannot "talk" to the computer with the scanner. Any ideas anyone ? (do i need a new ECM?).

as for the idling problem, I took out the IAC and cleaned it up well. It was quite dirty. I also used a performance throttle cleaner (poured some in carb and remainder in gas tank). When the truck is warmed up (approx 90-100 on my 25 - 150 temp gauge) it stalls less frequently. Temp sensor has also been replaced. When the truck is in Drive it will stall while idling (way more so when it has not reached it's normal operating
temp).
Any ideas on how to tackle my idling issue and the ECM no scan issue ?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Misfit
We Are 138

Vehicle: 98 Dakota V6 & 03 Cobra
Modifications: CAI,Xhaust,Flux Capacitor
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Garage
Sounds like your computer is fried.

Get another one, i don't think it HAS to be a 97, just a 97+ 3.9, either way, it would need a reflash, then just install it and go.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Misfit
We Are 138

Vehicle: 98 Dakota V6 & 03 Cobra
Modifications: CAI,Xhaust,Flux Capacitor
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Garage
To make shit easy, Autozone etc sells computers, no idea how much they are, but they will be ready to install and go out of the box.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
slade25

Did i hear correctly that pre 1999 vehicles do not have to get replacement ECM's flashed ? With mine being a 1997, if I get a replacement with identical specs, do I need do anything more than install, re-connect and let vehicle acclimatize for 10-15 min ?

I spoke to a person about that the other day as well, and his opinion was the same. No need to do anything to the replacement pcm if it's an older vehicle.

Can anyone clear this up ?
post #11 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 AM
varsis

Vehicle: 97 dakota 5.9
Modifications: SAS'd, 5.9 swap, 5.38 gears, and much more...

Send a message via AIM to varsis Send a message via Skype™ to varsis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade25 View Post
Did i hear correctly that pre 1999 vehicles do not have to get replacement ECM's flashed ? With mine being a 1997, if I get a replacement with identical specs, do I need do anything more than install, re-connect and let vehicle acclimatize for 10-15 min ?

I spoke to a person about that the other day as well, and his opinion was the same. No need to do anything to the replacement pcm if it's an older vehicle.

Can anyone clear this up ?
All I have read about PCM s is that as long as there is a vin and if you have security it needs to be programmed I think. if there is no security a vin it's ok. Btw all the PCM s I have put in my 1997 have ran a 1997 ram 1999 rt and soon another 1997 Dakota PCM when it shows up.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
slade25

strangely enough, my scan is now working/talking to the ECM. I did 2 or 3 scans and I have no codes.

When I run the I/M checks, I am getting:
Misfire - Ready
Fuel - Ready
CCM - Ready
EGR - Ready
O2S - Ready
CAT - NOT Ready
H2OS - NOT Ready
2AIR - n/a
A/C - n/a

can anyone advise on the 2 Not Ready findings ?
post #13 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
slade25

I still have the PO783 fault that`s been there for 3yrs.

Before I went to a transmission shop codes PO783 and PO141 came up on my cheapo obd ii. When I go there, the tech put his $10k machine on it and was coming up with nothing on the transmission diagnostic side. On the Engine side of the diagnostic he came up with both the PO783 & PO141. Kind of surprising but I` hoping that means the tranny side is okay.

Now here`s where it got very weird. We did a test drive and he left his $10k scanner hooked up as we drove around. The truck was performing worse than the drive over i might add - stalling out and seemingly slipping in gear and performing like crap. Then something i`d never seen before started happening. The Air bag light came on and an audible alarm started to beep (same sound as when the gas guage is low). And then the RPM and Speedometer guages started to flucuate and proceeed to zeroize. This was all while we were test driving. When we got to the parking to the told me he thinks i need a new ECM before i do anything else. He did another scan and was getting communication error. I thought oh noooo

We popped the hood and he checked the trans fluid, it looked and smelled okay he said. I pushed the 3 connectors from the bus harnass onto the PCM and put my cheapo obd ii on the scanner port and it read the damn codes ! PO783 and PO141 again. I went and got him again, he got his machine out and he got the same...and nothing showing on the transmission side. He still thinks i have a PCM related issue...intermittent or whatever (worst kind actually).

So I drive it home and the damn truck performs like a dream all the way. No stall outs, smooth shifting of the transmission, no coughs, burps, etc.
Talk about a system that is all over the place. I don`t know what to think now, but I`m sure it will act up again tomorrow morning after sitting all night.

Anyone have any suggestions on this conundrum ?????

Steve
post #14 of 17 Old 12-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Flippy

Vehicle: Dakota 2002 Sport Manual

1) Is it my ECU ?
irregular codes after resets but mostly O2 sensor P0138 but sometimes 0141 & others - Experiencing misfires which often go away on their own & can return on the same drive . Seems not temperature dependent a it occurs in very cold & hot .

2) what to check ( new plugs , wires & cap did not help)

3) 2002 dakota 3.9 auto trans

Last edited by Flippy; 12-13-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add subscription
post #15 of 17 Old 12-13-2014, 07:03 PM
01dak3.9

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota cc 3.9 auto
Modifications: Planning a carbed 360
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe your O2 sensor needs to be replaced

2001 Dakota 3.9
1966 Mustang 289
1979 H/O Cutlass 350
1971 Camaro 327
Sure I believe in peace. Peace by superior firepower! - Ted Nugent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: