2000 Durango 4.7L: Gear indicator display weirdness - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango
2000 Durango 4.7L: Gear indicator display weirdness

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT, 4WD, 4.7L engine. I just finished repairs for the classic power steering switch oxygen sensor nightmare problem: p0171, black exhaust, horrible mileage, etc.

After the repair, my gear indicator, or shift indicator, on the dash is acting weird. When I am in park or neutral, all gears are lit. Drive and reverse illuminate correctly. L2 usually works, but occasionally shows up as Drive. L1 usually shows as L2. But when I last parked the truck, L1 lit up correctly.

I feel like I probably did something during my repairs to cause this. Maybe I tugged something a little too hard, or jarred a connector loose. Can you point me in the direction of where I should look?

I should add, the durango starts fine, runs fine, and the transmission seems to shift fine. This appears to be a display problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 AM

Vehicle: 02 Dakota CC 4.7
Usually when all the gears are lit up on the display it means that there is a communication issue with the tcm. Try unplugging the connector at the trans range sensor and see if there is any tranny fluid in it.

There should be a code stored in the tcm.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh29 View Post
I should add, the durango starts fine, runs fine, and the transmission seems to shift fine. This appears to be a display problem.
It sounds to me like you might have yanked the gearshift cable out of adjustment, when you performed your O2 sensor repairs. Re-adjust your cable as follows:

(1) Shift transmission into Park.
(2) Release cable adjuster lock (underneath the power brake booster) to unlock cable.
(3) Raise vehicle.
(4) Slide cable eyelet off transmission shift lever.
(5) Verify transmission shift lever is in Park detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward detent is Park position.
(6) Verify positive engagement of transmission park lock by attempting to rotate driveshaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
(7) Slide cable eyelet onto transmission shift lever.
(8) Lower vehicle and check engine starting. Engine should start only in Park and Neutral. Do not shift into Neutral, or you'll have to do this again.
(9) Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster clamp down until it snaps into place.

2000 QC with 4.7L V8, 545RFE transmission, Polished/Ported Cylinder Heads, Bosch +4 Plugs, HO Cams, Mopar beehive valvesprings, bwdakrt 65 mm Throttle Body, Fuel Delivery mod, Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, Dynomax Cat-back, Trans-Go Shift Kit, JGC Fan conversion, no stock engine-driven fan, Ceramic front brake pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors, Goodridge S/S brake hoses, PLX M250 WB AFR gauge, 2004 Mopar fuel injectors, JBA Ceramic coated headers, coolant-based intake heater
Old 12-04-2010, 03:43 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango
I managed to fix the problem. The issue was my own stupid mistake.

I fixed the o2 sensor nightmare problem by running a new wires for the sensor signal and sensor ground from the sensor to the big wiring harness by the PCM. I found what I thought was the old signal wire, snipped it, and soldered the end from the PCM to my new signal wire.

Unfortunately, I snipped the wrong light green/red wire. There are two in the harness: one for the oxygen sensor signal, and one for something related to the transmission. When I fixed my mistake everything worked fine again.

PS: In addition to the shift indicator problems I had, the check engine light came on exactly after 4 minutes of running. The error code was P0132. In my case it was caused by the O2 sensor wire being completely open at the sensor (which was my intention). I also had a P0135 once, but only got that one time.

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy this turned out to be the problem. Re-soldering at the harness under the hood is a lot easier than debugging tranny problems from the floor!

H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: