Clunk from front suspension - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD
Clunk from front suspension

Got a minor issue. Every so often (usually in reverse and turning to right at same time) I get a "Clunk" coming from what feels/sounds like the left front close to the wheel. I thought maybe ball joint or tie rod went bad. Took to shop and all linkage was solid however due partly to age and partly to small power steering fluid leak, my sway bar end link bushings are are shot as well as the lower control arm bushings. I plan to replace these this weekend but do you think that this is really the problem? Could bad end link and control arm bushing create enough suspension movement to create this loud clunk sound? Also, looking at a few different bushings. What would you guys recommend: Polyurethane, OE Rubber, or that material the Moog uses (forget what its called)? Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Dakota
Yes a shot bushing in the Control arm/end link is enough to create the noise your hearing.

I would replace it with a poly bushing. They will last longer, help the truck handle better. Moog is a great choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 2002 dakota r/t cc
I would REALLY check the intermediate shaft...TRUST me, my truck had the sam eproblem..it drove me crazy..It was only starting to go and made those noises..I repalced alot of things and it ended up being that..when you put a new on in, make sure to tighted the hell out of it..if either bolt on either end is even a little loose, the same problem will happen...
Old 10-30-2010, 03:23 AM
14 cylinders

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to AFDakRT
Check the nuts that hold the upper control arm to the frame rail. They can work themselves loose over time, especially if you've had a alignment recently and they weren't tightened enough.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD
Replaced end link bushings today with Moog bushings. Still making same noise. But time was not wasted because the bushings were definitely shot (disentigrated in my hand). Also changed the oil, changed the color of my headlights from yellow back to white, and degreased my engine. It was a good day. Will save the clunk hunting for next weekend. Next steps are to try everything you guys mentioned. Also, is replacing lower control arm bushings really that difficult? Sears Auto wanted $450+ just in labor to relace them.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2002 dakota r/t cc
I had the same problem and replaced alot if "iffy parts". Parts that were showing wear..I did upper/lower ball joints, end links, outer tie rods..
I sprayed some grease into the control arm bushings, and it helped, A LITTLE..If you go in reverse up a small incline, turn the wheel hard to one side, its most likely control arm partds or intermediate shaft. I havean 02 rt club cab..The new intermediate shaft made my truck hand like new..( it only has 70K miles and I am very easy on my vehicles). If you have any kind of miles on your truck, try the intermediate shaft next..very easy to do..less than 1/2 hour, and most of the time is finding the tools!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 PM
K-State fan

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
Did you ever happen to isolate the problem? Mine is making a similar noise. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Dakota
My truck makes the same noise up front when it wants. My Tie rods are the root of the problem. Bot inner and outers have play.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 AM
K-State fan

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
When you say "play", what exactly do you mean? When the suspension is unloaded I can twist them. That's normal, right?

I do think I just figured out my problem. My darned passenger hub bearing in bad. I can wiggle the wheel about 1/4 inch.

I also noticed that I have the original ball joints on...110,000 miles on them. Bad or not I'm going to replace the uppers soon.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 1999, Dodge, Durango
Check to see if your shocks are loose at the fittings. My 2WD ram had this issue.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM
this is dayadge country

Vehicle: '98 Dakota CC V6 2wd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpayne80 View Post
When you say "play", what exactly do you mean? When the suspension is unloaded I can twist them. That's normal, right?

I do think I just figured out my problem. My darned passenger hub bearing in bad. I can wiggle the wheel about 1/4 inch.

I also noticed that I have the original ball joints on...110,000 miles on them. Bad or not I'm going to replace the uppers soon.
by play he means movement from side to side within the tie rod. just grabbing it and moving it around will not let you observe the play in it. jack up the front end and with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the tire grab it and push/pull on it to observe the play or looseness in the tie rods. you shouldn't feel any.

i'm somewhat new to working on these truck but i think i saw that the 4x4s have press in ball joints. i had to do both uppers and lowers on my 2wd and it was a nightmare.

cale
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 99 dodge dakota
mine had a clunk like that last year, it was the sway bar link,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: