P0505, cant figure it out - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000,Dodge,Durango
P0505, cant figure it out

I recently purchased a 2000 Durango 5.9 4x4, I am super happy with it just wish I could figure out how to fix the P0505 code. I have searched a bunch, online and on this forum and I have not found a solid conclusion as to what the fix is. I purchased a new IAC, set it to spec and put it in, reset the pcm to get rid of the engine light and it came right back. I cleaned everything, cleaned the old one tried both of them reset the engine light and it still comes right back on. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
here is the code from this website. it may have something to do with your speed sensor or wiring

P0505 (M) Idle Air Control Motor Circuits A vehicle speed signal was not detected
Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 AM

Vehicle: 02 Dakota CC 4.7
How did you set the IAC to spec???
Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1tech View Post
How did you set the IAC to spec???
The directions said to adjust it so the end copper colored thing was 1 and 1/8inch from the mounting surface.... I dont know though, the durango idled pretty high at that setting, and the one I took out sat out much farther, but it would still throw the code....
Old 10-16-2010, 01:31 PM

How did you adjust it, there is no way too and it is something that is not meant to be adjusted. Get yourself a new IAC and you will probably be ok but when you take this one out of the box do not do anything to it, just bolt it in the pcm adjusts it.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
How did you adjust it, there is no way too and it is something that is not meant to be adjusted. Get yourself a new IAC and you will probably be ok but when you take this one out of the box do not do anything to it, just bolt it in the pcm adjusts it.
Weird, I tried that first and the durango was idling around 1600 rpms...? I drove it for a while and reset the engine light with it idling that high and the idle never went down and the engine light came back... I took the IAC back to Checker and looked at another one that had directions that said to adjust it to 1 and 1/8 inch so I tried that, still idled a little high.... I will pick up another one from somewhere else and see how it goes...
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Well if you have had 2 different IACs in there and it won't idle correctly you need to look elsewhere for your problem. Barring any other issues tha may be causing your high idle like a vacuum leak you need to start checking the wiring from the IAC back to the pcm adn see if you have any issues there
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Well if you have had 2 different IACs in there and it won't idle correctly you need to look elsewhere for your problem. Barring any other issues tha may be causing your high idle like a vacuum leak you need to start checking the wiring from the IAC back to the pcm adn see if you have any issues there
Thanks for all the responses... With the stock IAC(meaning the one that was in there when I bought it) the durango idles fine and exhibits no problems at all except the engine light. With the replacement IAC the durango idled high and still had the engine light. I wonder if it was defective or something?? should I get an IAC from the dodge dealer? I will examine the wiring and post my findings.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 PM

It's possible the IAC you bought was defective. You could try getting another one but I have a funny feeling that you are going to have the same issue.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 dodge ram 2500
check the connection at the pcm. the connector has a corrosion problem. let me know if this works. if you find corrosion. try your best to clean all the pins and then put diolectic grease (like you use on spark plugs) to keep it from corroding again.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Its been a while since I last posted, but I just wanted to update the thread. I went out to start the Durango the other day and the battery was dead, or so I thought. I didnt get a chance to check it out until today and I found the ground connector for the battery was loose, and had a bunch of old dioelectric grease or something on it... I cleaned the crap out of it, and while I was at it I undid all the grounds I could find in the engine bay and cleaned them all with a metal brush. The outcome.... no engine light, the code is gone, so apparently it had something to do with a bad ground....
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Diesel Mechanic

Vehicle: 99 Dakota 4x4
you prob. didnt fix it. all you did was clear the pcm. the check engine light will be back.

did you clear the codes after u replaced the IAC?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Dakota View Post
you prob. didnt fix it. all you did was clear the pcm. the check engine light will be back.

I have reset the PCM many times, and the light comes back immediately. when I started it yesterday I knew I had cleared the PCM, but I was expecting the light to come on right after I started it and it didnt. Yesterday I drove for about 15 min and no engine light, started it up this morning and let it run for a few minutes and no engine light. Its weird, but it seems like it worked. The new IAC I put in there was making the durango run worse than the original, so currently the original is in there, not the new one.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Dakota View Post

you were right, its back, just took it longer this time... when I was trying to fix it and I would reset the PCM it would be back on right when i started the durango... very strange......the search continues.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Thought I would add something that is strange to me... we have had extremely cold weather lately(for us down here in southern arizona). When the temps outside are freezing and below the engine light turns off... strange...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: