Dakota Durango Forum banner

Bad Hub Assembly?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Misfit 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I have been lurking in the shadows around here for a while, and it's been some time since I posted anything. I would like to say that I find this fourum extremely helpful, and I have leared a lot from here. With that said, I am having a bit of a problem....

I've noticed a rumbling sound as I'm driving. Kinnda like giant mud tires. It starts around 40KPH, dosen't change tone, or get louder. It goes away when I cut right, but not when I cut left. The minute I straighten the wheel, it's back. I am assuming it is one of my front hub/bearing assemblies.

I also jacked up the rear of the truck, put it on jack stands and put it in drive..(with all the propler saftey percautions:clap2:)... and I heard a low rumble. I don't know if it was the brake shoes rubbing against the drum, or if it is the rear axle bearings. Once I hit the brakes, the noise stopped. I tried it in Drive, D1, D2, with the same effect. I didn't hear any noise coming from the actual rear diff. gear housing, only the wheels. The diff. fluid if full, clean and no metal particles.

I am kinnda stuck as to why the noise would stop when I turn right...if there was anything wrong with the rear bearings..I don't know..just trying to add everything that I noticed.

My truck is a 1999 3.9L 2WD with 128 000KMS on it. If there are any tips or suggestions, they would be greatly appreceatied. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
It goes away when I cut right, but not when I cut left. The minute I straighten the wheel, it's back.

I also jacked up the rear of the truck, put it on jack stands and put it in drive..(with all the propler saftey percautions:clap2:)... and I heard a low rumble. I don't know if it was the brake shoes rubbing against the drum, or if it is the rear axle bearings. Once I hit the brakes, the noise stopped. I tried it in Drive, D1, D2, with the same effect. I didn't hear any noise coming from the actual rear diff. gear housing, only the wheels. The diff. fluid if full, clean and no metal particles.

I am kinnda stuck as to why the noise would stop when I turn right...if there was anything wrong with the rear bearings..I don't know..just trying to add everything that I noticed.
Thanks!
Could be the right rear wheel bearing. When you turn right it unloads that side and the noise would go away. Jack it up and see if you have any up/down play on that wheel.

If there is any oil seepage from around the shaft inside the brake drum it is also an indicator of bearing failure. The rear bearings run directly on the axles and will fubar the axle shafts if left too long when they start failing.

#4 ·
ok. I jacked up the truck, tried the drivers side rear tire, nothing, jacked up the passenger side, nothing. The whole truck shook, but no play in the wheels. I'm kinnda thinking that the noise I heard from the rear might just be a bad drum.. I didn't see any oil seapage by the hub, from the rear axle. I'm starting to lean toward the fact that it might just be a bad front hub. Any other tests I can try or suggestions??? Thanks guys!

#7 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do. I can't get the front wheel to move at all, which is good, I guess! :funny: When I tried the rears, I got no movement from side to side or up and down, but I did get some when I grabbed the wheel at the top an bottom and pushed at the top and pulled at the bottom, and vise versa. It almost sounds like the drum is moving a bit on the wheel studs. Not sure if this is an indicator of bearing failure.:huh:

#8 ·
Well, I changed the front pass. hub today. I took it off and the thing sounded like a spray paint can when I shook it. Guess what, I still have the noise, planing on changing both rear bearings this weekend. Could this noise be from anything else? Thanks for your help guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.