Disappointed with the 4.7 Jeep TCM Swap Mod - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Control Parts Info Links : PCM Modules

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Quad Cab Dakota 4x4
Disappointed with the 4.7 Jeep TCM Swap Mod

Ok, I'm officially disappointed with this mod, and thinking of removing it from my truck.

I was really hoping it would transform the truck into having 5 real gears. Instead, I've got 3 gears and 2 overdrives.

I towed my Boat with my dakota, loaded to the gills with gear, my wife, and my kids, to Bull Shoals Arkansas. Overdrive was off. The 4.10 gears I had installed earlier in the year do made towing easier, yet I decided to back off on most of the hills as it is still a 9 year old truck with 90000+ miles. I kept my speed between 55 and 65 on most of the Arkansas roads, RPM's in the 2500-3500 range. For most of this trip, the truck was in 3rd gear, 6500 rpms, 65 mph

A "true" 5 speed should drop to "4th" and keep rpm's about 2500 at 65 mph, right?

Tonight, while driving home from Branson, at 70mph, I'm at ~2000 rpms with the mod and 4.10 gears. Up the hills I go. Instead of dropping to 4th for a little extra power, the truck skips it and drops to 3rd and 3500rpms.

It's not giving me 5 gears, it's giving me 3 gears + 2 overdrives. And it won't go into the "4th" or first overdrive for anything it seems, except to bridge between 3rd and 5th after going up that hill.

Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 AM
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML

Vehicle: '93, 3.9L, '92 3.5L
Send a message via AIM to Shimrra Send a message via MSN to Shimrra Send a message via Yahoo to Shimrra Send a message via Skype™ to Shimrra
all that mod was ever for was a second OD. i dont know where you got the idea it was anything else. jeep owners complained about engine noise on the highway so they gave the tcm a second OD to lower revs.
dont know where you got the idea it was going to be a "true 5spd"

IN THE WORKS:
'92 318 swap, coming closer to completion every dime I can squirrel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge dakota slt
learn to drive? its not tough to get the truck to shift into 4th, gentle throttle input and a little patiance and you'll find it
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM

Vehicle: 01 Flat Black X-AWD V8 QC
Hmmm, that TCM was on my "want list". I was also under the impression it would make a big change. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoon View Post
Ok, I'm officially disappointed with this mod, and thinking of removing it from my truck.

I was really hoping it would transform the truck into having 5 real gears. Instead, I've got 3 gears and 2 overdrives.

I towed my Boat with my dakota, loaded to the gills with gear, my wife, and my kids, to Bull Shoals Arkansas. Overdrive was off. The 4.10 gears I had installed earlier in the year do made towing easier, yet I decided to back off on most of the hills as it is still a 9 year old truck with 90000+ miles. I kept my speed between 55 and 65 on most of the Arkansas roads, RPM's in the 2500-3500 range. For most of this trip, the truck was in 3rd gear, 6500 rpms, 65 mph

A "true" 5 speed should drop to "4th" and keep rpm's about 2500 at 65 mph, right?

Tonight, while driving home from Branson, at 70mph, I'm at ~2000 rpms with the mod and 4.10 gears. Up the hills I go. Instead of dropping to 4th for a little extra power, the truck skips it and drops to 3rd and 3500rpms.

It's not giving me 5 gears, it's giving me 3 gears + 2 overdrives. And it won't go into the "4th" or first overdrive for anything it seems, except to bridge between 3rd and 5th after going up that hill.

Anyone else experience this?
I agree...

While I can get it to drop to 4th I still dont care for the way it drives/shifts

IMHO the stock TCM with my gears/tires is best
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDak View Post
Hmmm, that TCM was on my "want list". I was also under the impression it would make a big change. Thanks for the clarification!
It will make a big change... in your gas mileage. Nothing else. I estimate this thing paid for itself in my truck in 3 fill-ups.

Then again, I don't do a lot of towing.

2000 QC with 4.7L V8, 545RFE transmission, Polished/Ported Cylinder Heads, Bosch +4 Plugs, HO Cams, Mopar beehive valvesprings, bwdakrt 65 mm Throttle Body, Fuel Delivery mod, Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, Dynomax Cat-back, Trans-Go Shift Kit, JGC Fan conversion, no stock engine-driven fan, Ceramic front brake pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors, Goodridge S/S brake hoses, PLX M250 WB AFR gauge, 2004 Mopar fuel injectors, JBA Ceramic coated headers, coolant-based intake heater
Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
It did exactly what I wanted. It lowers the RPM and it holds the TC lockup instead of unlocking at the slightest hint of throttle.

If I'm towing, I let it cruise in 5th with the TC lock until it drops to 3rd, then I hit the OD-off and lock the TC back up. I refuse to tow with the TC unlocked, might as well have a turbo heater on the trans.

Hey, it's not for everyone and I'll admit the trans still doesn't shift the way I think it should (lock the TC in 2nd and leave it locked) but this is better than factory IMO. 4.56 gears make it very nice.

Another thing to think about, it may run the RPM higher by skipping to 3rd, but I bet it gets better mileage (especially if you lock the TC) that way and is easier on the engine. Lower RPM and higher throttle input are just going to increase cylinder pressure and temperature.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML

Vehicle: '93, 3.9L, '92 3.5L
Send a message via AIM to Shimrra Send a message via MSN to Shimrra Send a message via Yahoo to Shimrra Send a message via Skype™ to Shimrra
the issue isnt the mod, it was the fact you turned OD off. thus limiting yourself to 3ed. the only time i use the OD button is in city, on on ramps, or climbing big hills on the highway

IN THE WORKS:
'92 318 swap, coming closer to completion every dime I can squirrel
Old 09-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: Dakota
Reputation: 151 96daksport is a name known to all96daksport is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 96daksport
Does anyone have any before and after MPG figures?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Quad Cab Dakota 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimrra View Post
the issue isnt the mod, it was the fact you turned OD off. thus limiting yourself to 3ed. the only time i use the OD button is in city, on on ramps, or climbing big hills on the highway
I really can't see towing 4000 lbs of boat and hauling 1500-2000 pounds of gear and people, and leaving OD on. Putting that much weight on the smallest gear in the box? Quickest way to a new tranny. Even the owners manual says turn it off.

Wishful thinking on my part that it would be a 5 speed, instead of a 3+2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GOLDDAKOTA View Post
learn to drive? its not tough to get the truck to shift into 4th, gentle throttle input and a little patiance and you'll find it

Gentle throttle isn't getting it done either, it doesn't get the trans to shift soon enough. When on hills at 70mph, it just tries to get more power out of 5th, gives me that "humming" noise until it gives up and shifts to 3rd (Cruise Control On). Then it drops from 3500, to 3000rpms, to 2500rpms, then back to 5th, er, 2nd overdrive.

Someone needs to make me a mod to lock out 2nd overdrive and keep 1st overdrive, lol.

Learn to drive? I'd say I "adapted" by backing off on the hills, allowing the speed to go down, so the truck doesn't spend too much time in the upper RPM band. I depend on this truck too much to tear it up and wear it down.

Maybe I live around too many hills.

I did forget one benefit of the TCM Swap, it does result in "smoother" shifts. (Don't have a clue why, but it does) For this reason, I'll probably keep it.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Schaw Flapping Pus

Vehicle: 2008 Mazda 6i
Send a message via MSN to project_dog
Ill take it off your hands if you dont want it.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge dakota slt
your not going to wear down or tear up your truck by runnin 4k up a couple hills the 4,7 can run there all day long, and using cruise you will never see 4th your acctually going to have to use your foot lol
Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 AM

Mine goes into 4th with no problems what so ever, I just push in the clutch and pull the lever back and let out of the clutch. Works every time.
Oklahoma SCCA ESP#7 Best time 14.39
http://www.streetfire.net/video/a-fa...ck_2017029.htm
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 AM
RCC #93

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Motorsports LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuba View Post
Mine goes into 4th with no problems what so ever, I just push in the clutch and pull the lever back and let out of the clutch. Works every time.
I think they're on a different page than you and me
Kickass vid, BTW...
>END: threadjack<
'01 Dodge Motorsports 4.7/ 5-spd manual/ 3:92LSD/ Gee Whiz commercial vehicle/ mods?-beaucoup!/ &... Dragon Slayer -Howard

Old 09-07-2010, 04:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota 4x4 R/C
It would be down shifting to 3rd on those hills with the old TCM too. It's not going to change all your gear ratios so 1-4 are lower and 5th is OD, it's just adding it on so when you are cruising on level ground you are getting better MPG's. You could always switch to the stock, cruise at higher RPM's and have it going from 4th to 3rd on the hills, isn't this better?
2004 Honda 450R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: