Weird problem! Starts, shuts off, repeat - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
2.5L/3.7L/3.9L Engines Questions regarding the I4 and V6 Engines

post #1 of Old 08-07-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
kowboydmac
Broke with a dream.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Weird problem! Starts, shuts off, repeat

Ok so last year we replaced the fuel pump; check, worked good.

Now, the truck dies after it's initially started.

The pump DOESNT whir like it use too, but I don't understand how it'll start (I did it four times in a row) and THEN shuts off.

When the pump would go out before, it wouldnt start at all. Now the engine turns over, but it stalls out within 2 seconds.

I switched around all my relays, and replaced 3 fuses in the side of the dash, the fuel related ones (cant recall the technical term).

I pulled the pump and everything LOOKS good, which I know doesn't mean much, but nothing looks faulty and it's not even a year old. The tank is full, as shown by the gauge that decided to work (didn't work before I put the pump back in and replaced a fuse, must have been the floater got stuck).

So to sum it up, I need advice on this...

Why would an engine start, then stall out, REPEATEDLY, within 2 seconds if the pump doesn't whir but the relay is good?

I'm boggled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Altair
Mods Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Altair
I had the same problem. Will it stay running if you keep the
RPM's up by keeping your foot on the gas? That's what I had to do or it would die. Turned out to be the battery as it wasn't putting out enough juice to the PCM. For some reason it messed up the engine settings and the fuel flow settings or something. All I know is the minute I had a new battery installed it never happened again.
post #3 of Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 AM
bwdakrt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
I had the same problem. Will it stay running if you keep the
RPM's up by keeping your foot on the gas? That's what I had to do or it would die. Turned out to be the battery as it wasn't putting out enough juice to the PCM. For some reason it messed up the engine settings and the fuel flow settings or something. All I know is the minute I had a new battery installed it never happened again.
LADY, you're getting good at this!!
post #4 of Old 08-07-2010, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
kowboydmac
Broke with a dream.

Well the Dakota turned over very nice!

Then I tried it a second time after and..!!!

Nothing.

ARGHH!@$)U!@$

This inconsistency is mind boggling

Edit: I tried to rev it up, but it just died quicker. It's not getting fuel consistently, but the pump should be fine and the relays have been swapped around so many times, I may as well replace them all! geesh.
post #5 of Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Altair
Mods Addict

Well apparently not good enough. ha ha However, what would it harm to clean battery terminals? Also if your battery is older than 3 years it could really be the problem. You never know. Getting nothing the 2nd time kind of sounds like dead battery or one with bad cells. Could you have a clogged fuel filter? That might keep it from being able to keep running too, wouldn't it? In fact, putting a demand on your gas supply and having it die quicker when you try giving it gas would point to that. Maybe I should stick to making Reeces brownies. That I know about without guessing. But I am just sharing problems and cures to those problems I have had with my cars in the past.
post #6 of Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
kowboydmac
Broke with a dream.

Great, now I may have a clogged filter AND im missing out on reeses brownies?!?! thanks!!! lol

I cleaned the terminals pretty thoroughly, though the battery is old and a "powertron"? not sure if that's a good brand or not.
post #7 of Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Altair
Mods Addict

Powertron? What is that, a Pep Boys brand? I never heard of it before, but then again there are lots of things I've never heard of, Reeces not being one of them.
post #8 of Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
99Dakota
Diesel Mechanic

sounds like the ASD relay is kicking on for some reason making it shut down. if you have proper fuel pressure at the rail i almost wanna say u have a bad coil.

forgot to mention i had this same issue with a 96 dak v6. would start run like shit and die. do it all the time. turned out being the wiring from the fuel pump to the PDC fried causing the pump to also go out. some new wiring and a new fuel pump fixed it.

99 Dakota Sport 4x4 3.9L V6
360 Air Intakez, V8 TB, MSD Coil, Magnaflow Y-Pipe back, Superchips 3715, Factory 3.92's, Firestone Destination A/T's, HID 5000K BI, HID 6000k Fogs, Monroe Sensatrac Rear Loadlevelers
post #9 of Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 AM
923.9dakota
finally got my dodge

Garage
i had one at work do the same thing even after replacing the battery i found the belt tensioner was seized so i replaced that and the problem went away my guess on it was that the belt was slipping at the alt and the alt wasn't able to provide the proper voltage to the pcm

i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.
post #10 of Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Altair
Mods Addict

Omg, why did I not think of this before?? Are you using a duplicate key? It has to have the chip in it or it will start but die because you can not drive it without the programmed chip.
post #11 of Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 AM
99Dakota
Diesel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
Omg, why did I not think of this before?? Are you using a duplicate key? It has to have the chip in it or it will start but die because you can not drive it without the programmed chip.
very good guess but in his year truck (98) transponder keys werent invented yet. it was just the plan old key.

99 Dakota Sport 4x4 3.9L V6
360 Air Intakez, V8 TB, MSD Coil, Magnaflow Y-Pipe back, Superchips 3715, Factory 3.92's, Firestone Destination A/T's, HID 5000K BI, HID 6000k Fogs, Monroe Sensatrac Rear Loadlevelers
post #12 of Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Altair
Mods Addict

That's it! I give up! I'm making brownies!
post #13 of Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Leo72987

Hello there might not be the same problem you are having exactly, but a few days ago my truck would start, run, then stall and repeat. Ripped apart the truck checking for things and turned to find out it was my IAC valve 50 dollars from advance. Hope this helps if not i wish you luck man !
post #14 of Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
kowboydmac
Broke with a dream.

hey, thanks all. ive considered those things, especially the iac. it could be stuck closed, literally choking the motor.

the fuel pump not whirring, yet somehow initially firing occasionaly, makes me think its a hit and miss in the wiring somewhere, but ive checked with my naked eye a hundred times and cant see anything blatantly wrong.

how can i rig up a hotwire to the pump? ive been told before but cant find the thread/info i had.
post #15 of Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
kowboydmac
Broke with a dream.

ok so i swapped my jeep batter and dakota battery... now in the jeep it starts up fine, and runs my two amps and all the lights, etc etc, but it doesnt even turn over the dakota.

more weirdness!

ive got a toggle switch i can wire up to the fuel pump but now i cant get any power draw from the battery... can anyone help me out with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: