Front Drive shaft Removal?!?!? 2002 DurangoR/T @#%@#%^#&!!! - Dodge Durango Forum
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
SHiVMan R/T
Archive Digger

Vehicle: 2002 Durango R/T
Modifications: CAI. more to come.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via MSN to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via Yahoo to SHiVMan R/T
Front Drive shaft Removal?!?!? 2002 DurangoR/T @#%@#%^#&!!!

Specs if my sig or info doesnt specify:
2002 Durango R/T w/ AWD

Mission: Change out front left Axle due to CV joints going out
PROBLEM: >.< The damn shaft wont budge an inch

OK... Thanks in advance for reading this thread and ANY input is appreciated.

SitRep: I have pulled hub, got the brake caliper hanging, slathered the S.O.B. in PB Blaster and let sit overnight. Manual says to use two pry bars and push it out.. FAIL! broke a Craftsman prybar in the process..
OK, Pulled out the Slide Hammer and proceeded to beat the hell outta the axle trying to get it out. FAIL! The axle is getting pretty beat up at this point.... I am a pretty big boy: (5'10" 220lbs) in the custom steel fabrication business... This thing is in there!
Broke out the HEAT! Still nothing...
Am I missing something? or do I just need to keep beating the damn thing? I didnt see any bolt to remove or anything else that could possibly be holding this damn thing in, but damn! Help.

FIVE DOOR WHORE #97
'02 Durango R/T w/ 80k+ miles...
Mods: ~ CAI ~MaGnAfLoW ExHaUsT~
To Do List:~ M1 ~ FaStMaN TB ~ HS 1.7rrs ~ "Tom Fox" FLaSh ~ InFiNiTy CoMps ~ LoNg TuBe HeAdErS ~ EtC. ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Bobby

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Dakota V8 4x4

I don't know whether it will work or not, but try cutting the boots open, then seperating the joints, then buy new boots?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Jarheadoo7
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota

nice to see ya back thou Shiv... too bad ur axle is giving you fits..

::
post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
SHiVMan R/T
Archive Digger

Send a message via AIM to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via MSN to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via Yahoo to SHiVMan R/T
Ok... in case anyone searches the archives and sees this thread:
Disclaimer: This is kinda dangerous and if you dont know what your doing, or arent willing to be careful, then keep using the sliding hammer or cut it off.
I figured out an easy solution to my problem I posted above. I used a 5 ton "Come along" attached to the tow hooks on my neighbors dakota (parking brake on) and wrapped the other end around the neck of the half shaft. I also attached a chain to other side of my durango on the frame and anchored it tightly to a tree to keep the vehicle from being pulled off the jack stands while I applied tension.
Anyway, once it was all set up, I very carefully started cranking the "come along" until it was nice and tight and then gave the axle a couple raps with a hammer and off it came. Be sure not to ratchet the come along too much or I imagine that sucker could very well fly off, potentially damaging something..
Anyway, its off, and it wasnt at all rusted/seized like I though it was.. That damn retaining clip in there just would break loose..
Got it all back together and running like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarheadoo7 View Post
nice to see ya back thou Shiv... too bad ur axle is giving you fits..
Thanks Jarhead, its been too long. Got busy with work, pimping out my bike, and the family... not in that order, but close... hope all is well with you and yours.

FIVE DOOR WHORE #97
To Do List:~ M1 ~ FaStMaN TB ~ HS 1.7rrs ~ "Tom Fox" FLaSh ~ InFiNiTy CoMps ~ LoNg TuBe HeAdErS ~ EtC. ~
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 AM
99Dakota
Diesel Mechanic

Vehicle: 99 Dakota 4x4

if the pry bar dont work then what i normally used is a pair of huge channel locks on the back of the axle then beat that with the hammer while holding the channel locks on the axle. pops out everytime. sometimes a freind can be handy.

this works very good for axle on the newer caravans because their axles dont have "notches" for a prybar to grab on the driver side.

99 Dakota Sport 4x4 3.9L V6
360 Air Intakez, V8 TB, MSD Coil, Magnaflow Y-Pipe back, Superchips 3715, Factory 3.92's, Firestone Destination A/T's, HID 5000K BI, HID 6000k Fogs, Monroe Sensatrac Rear Loadlevelers
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
SHiVMan R/T
Archive Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Dakota View Post
if the pry bar dont work then what i normally used is a pair of huge channel locks on the back of the axle then beat that with the hammer while holding the channel locks on the axle. pops out everytime. sometimes a freind can be handy.

this works very good for axle on the newer caravans because their axles dont have "notches" for a prybar to grab on the driver side.
I will have to try that next time. Sounds like a good idea.

FIVE DOOR WHORE #97
post #7 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
M+M

Vehicle: Ram-Durango-Dakota

m+m

don't forget to use anti-seeze when you put it back together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: