4.7L Replacement Y-Pipe - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headers & Exhaust Parts Info Links : Headers * Exhaust

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota SLT 4.7L 4x4
Garage
4.7L Replacement Y-Pipe

So i was discussing fixing the Y-pipe with my Dad the other day and he said That when I had my front wheels off for installation of the new shocks he took a look at the pre-cats. Said that had to be the one of those things Dodge had to screw up. It literally goes:

Intake Manifold-->Ball Flange--> about an 1.5-2" straight pipe-->a sharp 90degree bend--> precat-->another sharp bend--> and then on to the rest of the Y-pipe.

So we start thinking it maybe hard to try and gut the system than original thought. So Dad started talking replacement Y-pipe. Only ones I knew of is Walker and Magnaflow. But I think I found someone else...

Catco Catalytic Converters
They make the Y-pipe to fit 2001-2003 Dakota (w/ wheel base 131.5). It They actually only make Y-pipes for the 4.7L and the 3.9L. And what's nice is the pipes are made with 409 SS, not aluminized steel.

Their company's catalog link is below:
http://www.showmetheparts.com/catco/

Last edited by burganb; 07-14-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 99 Durango
Wow, I really can't understand what you are trying to say.

What is the problem and what did Dodge "screw up"?

Why are you thinking about gutting or replacing it?
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Q.C.
Did you get a price on the complete 3 Cat Y pipe? Make sure you are sitting down...............they aren't cheap. I spent a couple of weeks looking for a direct bolt up - the 3 cat assemblies were north of a grand.....I ended up getting two aftermarket pre-cats and just cut out the old ones, welded in the new ones.....(old ones were breaking up). Worked like a charm and it was under 300 bucks including the install. And I didn't have to mess around with 02 sensors - they are still in the factory locations
Old 07-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Wow, I really can't understand what you are trying to say.
What is the problem and what did Dodge "screw up"?
Why are you thinking about gutting or replacing it?
The screw up is the sharp 90degree bend right after the exhaust manifold to the precat and then one right after the precat. instead of a nice smooth flow like it should be.

I was thinking of gutting all the cats because the precats are rattling apart and clogging the 3rd cat. Not only does it sound like shit, but it also has dropped performance and mpg. I used to get 18-19 in the summer, now I get 16-17. So I lost a good 2 mpg. I probably lost more than that though since I have the Jeep TCM swap now.

Mainly, I was trying to let the guys know that were looking for a replacement pipe know I found a direct fit that is not $800 for aluminized steel. Its like $439 for the pipe w/ 2 precats and one 3rd cat made out of 409 SS and $283 for the pipe with one cat made of 409 SS.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Garage
GWhaley--- See above ^^^

Old 07-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Prices sound good - up here they are almost double that......good info to know for the future.....good find!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Vehicle: 04 Dakota SLT 4.7L 4x4
Would those direct cats fit the 2004 model? I see it under the 2001 4.7L but for 2004 they don't even have the Dakota model.

Guess I should give them a call to find out.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota 4x4 R/C
What's the ID on the one without cats? And it's for the 4.7 right? It looks like it has a hole for an O2 sensor right before the one cat on it, which doesn't exsist on our trucks but I think the 3.9s have something like that (not sure).
2004 Honda 450R
Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota
Can't you go to a y pipe for a later model? My 03 Dakota has just one cat after y pipe
Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Mongo lift heavy things..

Vehicle: 01 QC Dakota 3.9L 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by burganb View Post
The screw up is the sharp 90degree bend right after the exhaust manifold to the precat and then one right after the precat. instead of a nice smooth flow like it should be.

I was thinking of gutting all the cats because the precats are rattling apart and clogging the 3rd cat. Not only does it sound like shit, but it also has dropped performance and mpg. I used to get 18-19 in the summer, now I get 16-17. So I lost a good 2 mpg. I probably lost more than that though since I have the Jeep TCM swap now.

Mainly, I was trying to let the guys know that were looking for a replacement pipe know I found a direct fit that is not $800 for aluminized steel. Its like $439 for the pipe w/ 2 precats and one 3rd cat made out of 409 SS and $283 for the pipe with one cat made of 409 SS.

I've got a 2001 QC 3.9 2wd that has the 3cat set-up. Last Friday I heard an exhaust leak & it was the passenger side pre cat, it managed to break loose at the pipe/cat weld on the bottomside. Had it welded back on yesterday but unfortunately the part that is welded (from the factory) is on the inside, under the outer shield. The guy said it wouldn't hold for long. Muffler shop quoted me $225 to install another cat or somewhere just over $700 for a new 3 cat system. I found the Catco various online retaiers & ebay for a 3.9 to run $390 +/- with shipping, the 4.7 runs $30-$40 more. The 5.9 runs cheaper at around $310...wonder if that would fit my 3.9?...
My cats still look good, maybe I can sell them to help make up some of the cost of a new set.
All I can say is if you don't have access to have someone weld one up for you, shop around and ask the ebay sellers questions cause some of them are dumbasses trying to take your hard earned cash. Good luck with your choice & let us know what you get & how they fit.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 AM

Garage
They make two different kinds for the 2000-2003 Dakota 4.7L one with 3 cats and one with just a single cat. I might just buy the single cat version and have someone weld bung holes to put the two O2s close to the exhaust manifold in. The other two are getting ziptied to the frame.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
I've got a 2001 QC 3.9 2wd that has the 3cat set-up. Last Friday I heard an exhaust leak & it was the passenger side pre cat, it managed to break loose at the pipe/cat weld on the bottomside....
Yeah, your lucky yours is just a leak. Mine is both of them rattling apart. I'll try and see if I can get a video up of how is sounds sometime, so you guys will know what it sound like if you think yours is going bad. I can barely hear it if I'm driving normally. But If I sit in the driveway with the door open and rev it. You hear it a little bit on the up rev and then the rattle gets really bad as the rev goes back down.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, your lucky yours is just a leak. Mine is both of them rattling apart. I'll try and see if I can get a video up of how is sounds sometime, so you guys will know what it sound like if you think yours is going bad. I can barely hear it if I'm driving normally. But If I sit in the driveway with the door open and rev it. You hear it a little bit on the up rev and then the rattle gets really bad as the rev goes back down.
That's the way mine was as well - my truck had two replacement y pipes put on under warranty - the last one had barely any miles on it.....and of course the federal emissions warranty had ran out.....that's when I went on the hunt for an aftermarket alternative...
Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
QUAD DAD

Vehicle: '02 Dakota Quad Cab 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
Can't you go to a y pipe for a later model? My 03 Dakota has just one cat after y pipe
Yeah that's weird . My '02 has only one after the 'Y' pipe too.

Some of my mods are Gibson dual sport exhaust, H.O. cams and now H.O. intake, CAI, ARE lid w/spoiler, Street Scene grille inserts, 1 piece headlights, Transgo reprogramming kit, chrome wheels, Power Slot Cryo rotors & Hawk pads, custom embroidered interior, cowl hood with custom underhood liner.

QUAD SQUAD MEMBER
Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Mongo lift heavy things..

Vehicle: 01 QC Dakota 3.9L 2WD
Quote:
They make two different kinds for the 2000-2003 Dakota 4.7L one with 3 cats and one with just a single cat. I might just buy the single cat version and have someone weld bung holes to put the two O2s close to the exhaust manifold in. The other two are getting ziptied to the frame.
Well sumbitch, mine broke loose this morning. There are two different kinds for the 2000-2003 3.9 also. I like your idea above. Anyone out there have luck doing this?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: