Cannot get front drivers side axle out!!!! - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Duranged

Vehicle: 2001 Durango 4x4 SLT+5.9L
Cannot get front drivers side axle out!!!!

I have been working on this thing for over a month now and Im going CRAZY!!!! The inner part of the drivers side CV axle is stuck on the short shaft coming out of the fron differential. I have tried the "prybar pop off" technique the Chiltons and Haynes manuals suggest but no luck. I have since been trying to bang it off with a hammer but I am afraid to put too much swing into it for fear of breaking something. That damned snap ring will just not release. I have got to have my truck for transportation. I dont know what to do anymore and I cant afford to pay anyone to do it for me nor can I drive it anywhere as the outer CV joint is shot. Im trying to replace the entire unit. I have had the complete cv axle assembly for a month and a half now. It makes me want to cry. I miss my truck sooooo much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
Mine weren't that hard to get out really, but I took a small hand sledge to tap on the back of the tripod joint while I was pulling at the same time. Didn't take that much to get it off I didn't think.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 AM

Vehicle: 2002 durango
I was trying to separate mine a couple of weeks ago and ran into the same problem. BUMP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 AM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: ​
Reputation: 184 HemiDak is a name known to allHemiDak is a name known to all
My axles were like this as well a couple years ago. I ended up having to use a BFH, and they ended up coming out.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Duranged

BFH??? Big F**king Hammer? In the mean time I went out and stroked it good with a 3 pound short sledge. Im so scared Im going to ruin something. It is the original that came in the truck and I have 130k miles on mine (2001 model). I would try a fork on my air chisel but then Im sure I would bust that aluminum housing to bits. My truck is worthless at this point ^.^;
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Mods Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkboi26 View Post
BFH??? Big F**king Hammer?
Yup!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Duranged

Okay, I promise this will be the last question I ask on this. Since some of you have had success getting your axle assembly out, I will ask just where were you getting a good solid strike on this thing at. Ive made a diagram so maybe somone can give me some detailed pointers on getting it out. I just dont see how it can be so stuck on there.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Mods Addict

I just remember that I was at some odd angles pounding on it with a crowbar and a small sledge hammer. It probably helped that I didn't have an engine in my truck at the time.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
I was able to sit facing the drivers wheel well, grab ahold of the tripod joint (joint housing to labeled in the drawing) and pull while swinging at an angle to hit the back corner of the joint. That's the best idea I could come up with, puts the least force into the end of the case and the bearing that is right there.

Keeping everything taut (pulling on the joint) while you hit it will really help, that way you're not wasting energy pushing the slack out everytime.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Duranged

Woo hoo! That little troublemaker is out!! It took getting the crowbar in at just the right spot opposite of where I was going to smack it I guess. My buddy put the bar in and started prying then smack! smack! POP! that puppy slid right off. Crappy thing was the axle assembly I had bought was the wrong one. The snap ring groove was in the wrong place and it was too long. Got the new one in today and she's purring like a kitten. Though, my check engine light came on after a few minutes of driving. The truck has been sitting for like 2 months since the cv joint went out in it. What would cause the check engine light to come on all of the sudden. I made sure everything was fine before I even started it. Oil, coolant, tranny fluid and so on. Could it be the O2 sensor maybe? I've heard of those going out after sitting for long periods of time. On a side note....this is the first time that light has ever come on, ever!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Unregistered User

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota, RC 2x4 3.9L
Do the run-off x3 trick to get the code and see. It seems every time my truck has sat for more than a few weeks, some random sensor has died. All that banging doesn't help either. I lost a crank trigger beating on the suspension with an impact wrench, and sitting all winter somehow killed both of my upstream O2's and my TPS.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Duranged

Turns out the code was some O2 sensor voltage crap. No worries I guess. Ill clear it out and see if I keep getting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: